PDA

View Full Version : Rifle questions

PooleeX
12-10-09, 05:55 PM
1. When do I get it
2. is it an A2 or A4
3. Would anyone recommend getting an air rifle to practice qualification or not?

Lisa 23
12-10-09, 06:08 PM
1. After you're done with receiving, which is about the first 3-5 days at MCRD.
2. I believe it's the M16A2.
3. NO! Everything you need to know on how to fire the M16A2 will be taught to you the Marine Corps way.

Recruit Training - MCRDPI
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

MCRDSD
http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/index%20recruit_training_links.htm

PooleeX
12-10-09, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the answer WMarine it was helpful.

Vandrel
12-10-09, 07:22 PM
#2 is correct, I just got emailed a few pics today of a cooworker's son in boot camp, M16A2's for everyone.

tangovictor87
12-10-09, 07:27 PM
nice screenname.

to clarify, you get it after you pick up with your company. it will be an M16A2. it shoots a 5.56 nato round, a air rifle does not. listen to your primary marksman instructor and the range coaches and you will pass.

ps- at SOI you will be issued an A4 with an RCO.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-09, 11:55 PM
Do NOT go running out and get some airsoft thing to 'practice' with. Don't 'practice' with ANYTHING. If you want to study something, study what the recruiters give you to work on. Your PMI's at Recruit Training will teach you everything you need to know about your weapon and how to properly use it.

Backhaus 1103
12-12-09, 07:57 PM
Don't worry about shooting, it's easy...table 1 is retarded anyway. You're mostly going to drill with it anyway and be happy as he!l when you get to turn it back in.

JoeBlow
12-12-09, 08:57 PM
LOLOLOL OH MY GOD, this is almost as funny as "Can I lay in the grass in my backyard with a broomstick practicing to be a sniper?"

GetSome0311
12-13-09, 06:54 PM
1. Quicker than you'll expect
2. A2 in bootcamp. A4 w/RCO, and rail system at SOI/MCT
3. You need to be more concerned about learning your 11 General Orders. Your going to be learning for weeks on how to fire you weapon according to how the Marine Corps wants you to. An airrifle is no where near the manufacturing specifications or capabilities of a real M16A2 Service rifle. You are going to learn your M16 inside and out, how to clean it, what it can and cannot do...heck, you're probably going to know your rifle so well that you'll be able to recite knowledge in your rack as you sleep. Believe me, dont worry about shooting right now...worry about the basics of being a recruit at MCRD. Baby steps my friend, baby steps.

tangovictor87
12-13-09, 07:26 PM
you are better off making an O with your right hand and use your left booger finger to practice perfect sight picture/ alignment. i agree with getsome, learn your general orders

ameriken
12-13-09, 07:34 PM
The less you know now about firing a rifle, the better you'll do in boot camp.

Dont pollute yourself with trying to learn how to handle a rifle. For one, it wont matter because it wont be the rifle you'll qualify with, and two, instructors will be far harder on you as they try to unfvck everything you think you know about shooting.

I agree with the above, learn your General Orders.

MD8724
12-13-09, 07:45 PM
I say you shouldnt learn anything at all, and go completely blind. It will be more fun that way!

ameriken
12-13-09, 07:50 PM
I say you shouldnt learn anything at all, and go completely blind. It will be more fun that way!
That's how recruits went to Boot Camp eons ago before the internet. All you knew was you were going to some place called Parris Island and that it was gonna be 13 weeks of hell and you dont want to p*ss of the Drill Instructors.

Actually, it was quite fun that way.

0231Marine
12-14-09, 07:19 AM
nice screenname.

Really? How many taliban do you think he's killed? Probably like hundreds since killing people is just like it is on Call of Duty.

I think it's a pretty dumb screen name.

sparkie
12-14-09, 07:33 AM
The worst thing an experienced shooter can do is get frustrated and and figure he can do better with his old ways, like Kentuc windage, since he knows everything anyway.
It's ok to know something, it's not ok to figure you know everything.

tangovictor87
12-14-09, 09:20 AM
Really? How many taliban do you think he's killed? Probably like hundreds since killing people is just like it is on Call of Duty.

I think it's a pretty dumb screen name.

that was me being sarcastic.

Smitty Puffs
12-14-09, 11:16 AM
I think he was agreeing with you by also being sarcastic.

But seriously kid, make another friggen name. It makes you look like a tool. You think those guys over there are just fish in a barrel? Heed this warning poolee, don't ever underestimate your enemy. The men who make up the ranks of the taliban are not pushovers, they are cold-blooded killers who would move hell and high water to see you die a slow painful death. I don't mean to be over dramatic but I am a firm believer that poolee's need to stop being filled with "fakemotoOOHRAHkiller" bull**** and start being told the truth so they can properly train for the battles that lie ahead. Don't fear your enemy, but understand their capabilities, their skills, and train to be better then them. What I mean is, the Taliban is anything but pushovers and you should act accordingly.

PooleeX
12-14-09, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry if I offended any U.S. Marines,I just wanted a screen name to ask questions and show that I'm ready to do what it takes to help America win.:iwo:

ameriken
12-14-09, 08:28 PM
There will be plenty of time later to try and be hero. Right now your focus should be solely on getting through Boot Camp and earning the title. Really, you should PM a mod and get username thats a bit more humble.

Donut Brigade
12-14-09, 09:00 PM
Change it to "poilicecaller92" or "workingpartymaster69" ASAP.

GetSome0311
12-15-09, 08:23 AM
Change it to "poilicecaller92" or "workingpartymaster69" ASAP.

rofl so true.

But in all seriousness, might be in your best interest to come up with another name. As others have said, you need to worry more about making it through recruit training and actually earning the title before you can even begin to call yourself a "killer"....but even then...

Your NCO: "Hey killer, go clean the head"
You: "Aye Sergeant!"

See, even then "workingpartymaster69" works out just as well.

SGT7477
12-15-09, 08:36 AM
I'm sorry if I offended any U.S. Marines,I just wanted a screen name to ask questions and show that I'm ready to do what it takes to help America win.:iwo:
You will get a new name in boot camp,lol.:D

Gary Hall
12-15-09, 10:58 AM
================================================== === <br />
<br />
Anyway, that approach seemed to work for me. It took me 3 years to qualify as Expert Rifleman (with the M-1), after 2 weeks each year on the...

ARTYPIG
12-15-09, 06:25 PM
Yep. Learn it the Marine Corps way and don't listen to the Jody's on the street. Most people that haven't shot before are usually better at the Range because they learned the right way and don't have any bad habits to unlearn. Always remeber BRASS. Breathe,Relax,Aim,Stop,Squeeze. It's been over 22 years since I learned that, so what they teach you you will never forget.

PooleeX
12-15-09, 07:34 PM
I put in to change the screen name. Thanks for the advice Marines.

SGT7477
12-15-09, 10:15 PM
Yep. Learn it the Marine Corps way and don't listen to the Jody's on the street. Most people that haven't shot before are usually better at the Range because they learned the right way and don't have any bad habits to unlearn. Always remeber BRASS. Breathe,Relax,Aim,Stop,Squeeze. It's been over 22 years since I learned that, so what they teach you you will never forget.
Most of the platoon that I was in had rifle experience, we took top honors at the rifle range and left there being called the Edson Raiders, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

03INF
12-17-09, 05:35 AM
I was an expert marksman (3rd AWD...4 yr enlistment), and ended my time as a battalion range coach and competition shooter. Before going to PI, I had never fired a rifle. They'll take good care of you on the range and in the classroom. Listen to everything very carefully and follow instructions to the letter.