PDA

View Full Version : Avionics Poolee with some poolee-onic questions

huddy
12-10-09, 10:11 AM
I went to MEPS and enlisted on July 15, 2009. I'm shipping out on June 21, 2010. I signed a contract with Avionics. I now want Avi Ordnance real badly and asked my recruiter about it. He said it wasn't open and that I should expect to go to PI with an Avionics contract. He said he'll keep his eyes open for me. I'm okay with that, because, honestly, I just want to work on planes.

I was just curious if Avi Ordnance could still open up before June 21, 2010. If not, does anyone know any great Avionics MOS's?

slimmy07
12-10-09, 10:16 AM
Nobody here could answer that question. MOS's are assigned by the recruiting station and it's different for every RS and every state as far as MOS's. I suggest you talk to your station NCOIC (probably a SSgt or a GySgt).

GSEMarine94
12-10-09, 10:35 AM
I wasn't Avi but I worked with them quite a bit, and most of the avi Marines I knew loved it. Ordinance was a 50/50 thing, half of the Marines I knew loved it the other half hated it, not sure why.
I can say that avi is a highly paid career in the real world, but I haven't seen many 727's with external weapon systems.

thediesel713
12-11-09, 07:46 AM
I went to MEPS and enlisted on July 15, 2009. I'm shipping out on June 21, 2010. I signed a contract with Avionics. I now want Avi Ordnance real badly and asked my recruiter about it. He said it wasn't open and that I should expect to go to PI with an Avionics contract. He said he'll keep his eyes open for me. I'm okay with that, because, honestly, I just want to work on planes.

I was just curious if Avi Ordnance could still open up before June 21, 2010. If not, does anyone know any great Avionics MOS's?

If you get an aircraft that has an attack mission, f18s, cobras ect. your unit will have a fire control shop. These shops are made up of ordy and avi guys. I may be wrong but avi ordnance is I level, meaning you will never touch an aircraft.

huddy
12-11-09, 02:36 PM
My recruiter did avi ordnance and aside from loading the bombs onto aircraft he got to fire up the plane among various other quals.

Oh well, que sera sera. I'm not going to get stressed over it. Where ever they put me they put me.

Thank you gents for the help. I appreciate it.

(And because I like to brag... 92 on the ASVAB!)

Supersquishy
12-11-09, 03:18 PM
My recruiter did avi ordnance and aside from loading the bombs onto aircraft he got to fire up the plane among various other quals.

Oh well, que sera sera. I'm not going to get stressed over it. Where ever they put me they put me.

Thank you gents for the help. I appreciate it.

(And because I like to brag... 92 on the ASVAB!)

If you want to spool up the jets or work on them a lot, then go Jet Mech O-Level.

O-level Avi guys did the avionics and sat in the shop a lot, or every now and then trouble shot on the airplanes out on line. Yes some of them were qualed to turn a up a jet, but only at idle or APU.

If you want Ordnance, then request ordinance. Not a whole lot of actual aircraft maint. you get to do.