PDA

View Full Version : Question about making car payment while in boot camp.

Dustin Griffith
12-09-09, 02:14 PM
Okay ive been told by several people that when i go to boot camp i can simply give my car back to fianance company and they will sell it. Is this true? Does it hurt my credit? Id like to just get rid of my car and buy a new one after all my training.

Thanks!

Lisa 23
12-09-09, 02:27 PM
In my opinion, if you want to get rid of your car before you go to boot camp, try selling it first. Don't give it back to the finance company or let the finance company take it from you. It will go on your credit report as a respossessed vehicle, and that's not good.

Rocky C
12-09-09, 02:38 PM
In my opinion, if you want to get rid of your car before you go to boot camp, try selling it first. Don't give it back to the finance company or let the finance company take it from you. It will go on your credit report as a respossessed vehicle, and that's not good.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Kegler300
12-09-09, 02:39 PM
I believe you are protected by the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act during recruit training. You won't need a car anytime soon after boot camp, so you might want to try and sell it before your ship.

Vandrel
12-09-09, 02:59 PM
In addition to what's been said which is first and foremost the best advice to follow, do you have the means to setup automatic payment deductions from your checking account?, which I assume you have a checking account.

If you can set up a auto-pay cycle you might want to try and do so.

And a little off-topic, if you already have a bank account right now I'd recommend keeping it. FSNB is by no means a good bank to keep so in boot camp if you can... opt out of FSNB.

Dustin Griffith
12-09-09, 03:10 PM
Well i found out some good things from the Soilders and Sailors relief act. I can take my 20% car interest rate and make it 6% thats awsome. My issue with paying while in boot camp is my recruiter told me they wont allow me to send money out of boot camp. But told me that my finance company would "Legally" have to wait till i get out of boot camp.

Dustin Griffith

Rocky C
12-09-09, 03:13 PM
Well i found out some good things from the Soilders and Sailors relief act. I can take my 20% car interest rate and make it 6% thats awsome. My issue with paying while in boot camp is my recruiter told me they wont allow me to send money out of boot camp. But told me that my finance company would "Legally" have to wait till i get out of boot camp.

Dustin Griffith

20% ???

Apache
12-09-09, 03:15 PM
Hows about contacting your finance company and giving them the "scoop" now
before they have to spend time/money finding out what you already know ?

Vandrel
12-09-09, 03:16 PM
So you financed through a source other then a bank to purchase the vehicle?

Like I suggested, if you have a bank account then the finance company you are using should accept a account number and routing number for which to pull the payment from. If they do not allow that and you don't have a bank account and you have a 20% interest rate on that vehicle then my recommondations to you are either sell the car or if you can't you need to sign up for a bank account and try to refinance your vehicle with that bank you sign up with, will most likely cut your interest rate in half and give you a easier payment plan so long as you have a direct deposit going to it.

Either way, for the sake of building your credit, I would suggest you try and refinance through a bank.

Dustin Griffith
12-10-09, 01:52 PM
i had bad credit due to a repo 2 years ago. So i financed through a company who gives loans to people with bad credit to build there credit.

Rocky C
12-10-09, 05:29 PM
I don't think you have to worry about the "car thing" right now.
You are listed as a "Marine Friend" which is Great but not a Poolee so I clicked on your profile and then I clicked on your picture which blew it up and low and behold.
Are those 1/2 inch eyelet holes in your ears???

Bad News, I don't think you have to worry about Marine Corps Bootcamp.
Any earing above 14 gauge diameter will not close.

Long story short.
Someone I know with 0 gauge plugs in his ears went through the whole process and even slipped by his physical, got to Boot Camp and was DQ'ed in 3 days.
Came home, went to a surgeon to have the holes fixed, $4000.00 and 4 months later couldn't even get a Waiver.

Better see a Recruiter ASAP.

Good luck to you.

Vandrel
12-10-09, 07:20 PM
Nice catch Rocky

Rocky C
12-11-09, 07:53 AM
Nice catch Rocky

:thumbup:.
Sad but true!!!
I just hate for him to get his hopes up and then let down.
I hope he reads my post about it soon and gets down to see a Recruiter.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Sgt Leprechaun
12-12-09, 12:01 AM
That's gonna be a DQ for SURE. Good catch Rocky.

Dustin Griffith
12-28-09, 12:01 AM
I am aware of that issue. Surgery is today the 28th. Cant believe some one paid $4000 to have it fixed. Plastic Surgeon is charging me $350 an ear. Recruiter told me after its done he will send me to meps. I took my asvab 2 weeks ago and did well. Recruiter told me it will not be an issue once i have then closed.

thezero
12-28-09, 02:30 AM
A Marine that graduated with me was able to send money from boot to home to make a car payment because his parents were unable to make it for him one month for whatever reason. It creates a lot of stress and hassle for your Senior Drill Instructor, and until you get your first duty station you won't be allowed to have a vehicle (from every Marine I have talked to) and once you get to your first unit you will want to see when they deploy next and such that way you don't buy a vehicle then have to put it in storage for 6-12 months.

chili77bowl
12-28-09, 09:31 AM
First and foremost...20%...WTF...

Second, how could anyone do that to their bodies? Maybe I'm just getting old and all, (32 y/o) but I could never get a tatoo, piercing, etc...I was raised that girls get their ears pierced...and the last time I checked...yep..still there.

Third, they are correct, you will NOT be able to even drive a car during SOI...it's in the rules, if you are caught, NJP can happen.

Dustin Griffith
12-28-09, 12:12 PM
Reguardless if I can drive or not, I have a contract to pay for it. I dont feel like killing my credit a second time around. Ill park the car at my mothers right before boot camp. Then ill get it when I can again. But with some research I found out while im in boot camp that I wont have to pay on it. Once i get out I can pay what I owe. But the finance company cant take it nor punish me while im in boot camp. Its against the law.

Rocky C
12-28-09, 03:55 PM
I am aware of that issue. Surgery is today the 28th. Cant believe some one paid $4000 to have it fixed. Plastic Surgeon is charging me $350 an ear. Recruiter told me after its done he will send me to meps. I took my asvab 2 weeks ago and did well. Recruiter told me it will not be an issue once i have then closed.

How did that Surgery go today???
Did the Plastic Surgeon use a laser or cautery tool ???
Stitches or staples???
Skin Grafting???

Hope your Not in PAIN :evilgrin:

Dustin Griffith
12-28-09, 06:03 PM
Sugery went well. Because my gauges were not all that big he cut out the inside of my ear all around the hole to make it all fresh tissue and stiched it together. Its taped over now so i havent seen it. Have to keep tape on for 1 week and stitchs stay in for 2 weeks. About 3 weeks and i should be good for meps. Hope by time i take meps i can still get a slot for MP cause its what I really would like todo. He showed me some before and after pictures. He showed me pictures of some one who also joined marines at same recruiters that I did who had same surgery few months ago. It looked good. He said there will always be a line in my ear.

It ended up costing $900 with my room fee.

Vandrel
12-28-09, 07:08 PM
It ended up costing $900 with my room fee.

Money well spent

Phantom Blooper
12-28-09, 07:49 PM
Recruiter told me after its done he will send me to meps.

Did the recruiter tell you even though you had corrective surgery done that you will need a waiver for the surgery from MEPS?

Also in your pictures it looks like you have a tattoo that is on your left arm on the inside. I would check with the recruiter also about needing a waiver for that.

In your picture in the profile you say that your fiancée the mother of your child....since you have a child you may need a waiver for the child as a dependent since you are not now married.

There may also be custody issues for concern.....

I don't want to dash your hopes and make you spend that $900.00 in vain....but before you do anything else check on the waivers because they can be a looooong drawn out process.

Well worth the wait.....but still it is something that should be done.

Did the surgeon tuck your ear lobes for you when he did the surgery?

Just wondering because when you age you tend to droop and I don't want you you to have bassett hound ear syndrome when you get older.

Good luck to you.....:evilgrin:

brian0351
12-30-09, 12:24 AM
I went through a similar thing with my car back in the day. I was headed on a deployment and just didn't want to pay for my car anymore.

I took it to the credit union. It was a "Voluntary Repossession". They sold it and I was responsible for the remaining balance.

Call the financing company and ask if it's possible to delay your payments for three months. OR...do you have the money to make 3 payments ahead of time?