PDA

View Full Version : Wanted AD, but got stuck in Reserves... Advice?

JBlaze
12-07-09, 11:50 PM
Hello Marines.

I just got back from MEPS a few days ago in Miami (long story for another day. Still haven't sworn in...). Anyways, The day before we left, my recruiter told me that there are no more slots for Active Duty until 201009-- which meant I have to take Reserve for now until a slot opens up.

Since this happened to many new recruits at MEPS as well as myself, I don't think that my recruiter is lying or trying to get his Reserve numbers up.

I'm trying to get to MCRD ASAP if possible, and apparently this is the quickest way to do it. My question is, what are the odds of me being able to switch to Active Duty once I graduate Basic Training? How hard is it? I guess basically what I'm asking is, if you were in my shoes, would you wait to get a guaranteed Active Duty slot and wait until after September to ship, or would you take the Reserves slot and hope for the best?

Either way, I'm going to be a Marine, that's a personal goal that I WILL achieve. I just want to get a general idea of what I should aim for at this moment.

Thanks in advance Marines!

Lisa 23
12-08-09, 12:39 AM
Use the search bar. Reserves to active duty has been covered many times........and the Marine Corps has boot camp, not basic training.

MD8724
12-08-09, 12:41 AM
If you want AD, get it in writing in your contract, the same as any other contract. If they won't give it to you, walk away and find someone who will. The Corps will always be here. No need to hurry up and settle, imo.

JBlaze
12-08-09, 09:27 PM
Use the search bar. Reserves to active duty has been covered many times........and the Marine Corps has boot camp, not basic training.

Sorry Marine, no disrespect, but I think you may have misunderstood. That wasn't my only question. It was more "What would you do were you in my shoes?" Also, I was under the impression that all Marines go through "Basic Training" to become "Basically Trained Marines", and that "Boot Camp" was just a nickname?

If you want AD, get it in writing in your contract, the same as any other contract. If they won't give it to you, walk away and find someone who will. The Corps will always be here. No need to hurry up and settle, imo.

That's the problem, they wouldn't let me get AD no matter what, and I've already waited 3 years to become a Marine. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.

Lisa 23
12-08-09, 09:40 PM
Sorry Marine, no disrespect, but I think you may have misunderstood. That wasn't my only question. It was more "What would you do were you in my shoes?" Also, I was under the impression that all Marines go through "Basic Training" to become "Basically Trained Marines", and that "Boot Camp" was just a nickname?

It's either boot camp or recruit training, not basic training.

That's the problem, they wouldn't let me get AD no matter what, and I've already waited 3 years to become a Marine. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.

Like I said, reserves to active duty has been covered many times before. Use the search bar.

Check out Open Squad Bay, you can't post there because it's for Marines only, but you can look. There are a few Marines who are reservists who want to go active duty. If they are having to wait, so will you if you decide to go reserves first.
If you really want active duty, then my advice to you is to wait until a spot opens up. Someone is always dropping out of the DEP for some reason or another, and your recruiter may ask you if you want to leave earlier instead of later.

Lisa 23
12-08-09, 09:49 PM

Recruit Training

Without doubt, Marine boot camp is more challenging -- both physically and mentally -- than the basic training programs of any of the other military services. Not only are these requirements much higher, but recruits are required to learn and adhere to the core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

Recruits arrive at boot camp. Gear is issued, and a battery of physical examinations is conducted to ensure safety. The Initial Strength Test (IST) is then administered. Later they will learn weapons handling from trained experts and complete the 11-obstacle Confidence Course.
It has been said time and time again by former Marines that Marine Corps recruit training was the most difficult thing they ever had to do in their entire lives. In order to train the world's most elite fighting force... It has to be that way.

During this time the recruits can receive letters but nothing else — so please do not send gifts or supplies.

This is Recruit Training, so don't address letters with "Marine" or a rank, like "Private."
This is a title they will earn after they successfully complete training.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

JBlaze
12-08-09, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification and advice Marine.

echo3oscar1833
12-09-09, 08:21 AM
Dude look at it like this, if you can't get an AD contract right now, and Reserves is the quickest way to get onboard. Well then that is up to you, but at least you will get a chance at earning the title Marine non the less. (Notice I said get a shot at earning, not getting). However if you really want active duty from the start wait it out a bit more. Trust me people are chomping at the bit right now for a shot. The Marine Corps is maxed on its recruiting goals at the moment. Again make the best choice for you, but if you wanna go now, Reserves might be your best bet. That's the plainest advice I can give you kid. Semper!!:marine:

MLMonk
12-09-09, 03:31 PM
This is exactly what happened to me when I signed up at 17. I wanted active duty, but my mom wanted me to go reserves, so I signed up reserves hoping a AD slot will open up, it didn't, and now I am a reservist out in Orlando. Just wait for the new slots to open up, THEN sign on for it, because switching over to active duty is going to take a LONG time. I say this to a lot of people, and I am going to say this again, what is a few months of your life waiting, compared to a few years of your life with something you did not want? Think about that for a moment. I understand you are all motivated to be a Marine and want to go ASAP, but just wait, and actually, the more you wait for something, the more accomplished you feel when you actually complete the goal of becoming a Marine.

The reason for a reserve contract is: You want to sustain your civilian life and still serve your country (i.e., deployments). Unless you have a good paying job or planning on going to college, reserves really aren't meant for you, because right now with this economy, there is no guarantee of anyone hiring you.

slimmy07
12-10-09, 10:10 AM
You can always try another recruiting station. I don't mean another RSS, but a another recruiting station. For example RS Phoenix covers all of Arizona, so a person there would have to go to California, Nevada, or New Mexico. Another example is RS San Francisco covers most of northern California up to Sacramento, so the person would have to go see a recruiter somewhere in Sacramento. Make sense? Every RS has different slots for AD AND reserves. They can't just give another RS more AD slots, because each RS is tasked with a yearly mission. I suggest if you can go RES, I would for the simple fact that your qualified to join the Corps now. You never know what can happen in the future that can make you not qualified, like an injury or something else. Also, there is a program in the RES called Active Reserves. Your an active duty Marine, but in support with of the Reserves. Pay and everything is the same as AD except you can get stationed at RES units, look it up. It's not a bad program at all. Good luck to you.

slimmy07
12-10-09, 10:13 AM
Oh, one more thing. It's called Recruit training in the Corps.