PDA

View Full Version : Reserves Up!

Juicemang
12-07-09, 07:43 PM
Greetings Marines,

I was active duty from 2004-2008, with two pumps to Iraq. I got out last August. So, after over a year of operations in the 1st Civ Div, it looks like I'm going to re-enlist on the reserve side. I have come to realize over the past year that the Marine Corps is a big part of who I am, and I consider the Corps my family. I realized that I can't just walk away from it.

So, I'm going to talk to a PSR on thursday and get the ball rolling. I was wondering if other Marines who have served in the reserve could give me their thoughts and feelings on it. It sounds like I'll be attached to an air support group. My MOS is 0121, admin up! I'm a full time student and live about 45 minutes away from where drills will be held. I'm just curious what I can expect from the reserves, and what the best/worst parts about serving in the reserves are. Thanks brothers.

S/F

joecoul89
12-07-09, 07:52 PM
Well I'm in the reserves with an MP unit in Dayton, OH. We usually do a Friday/Saturday/Sunday drill, once a month. A nice thing is that if you are in need of money, you can get temporary active duty orders at your unit and work there every day. All of your needed training like rifle qual, swim qual, etc, is done on a weekend drill. The worst part is not being fully respected by other Marines, mainly active duty. But I have not regretted being a reservist yet. Its good for if you want to go to school or have a normal job outside of the military.

Juicemang
12-07-09, 08:17 PM
Thanks Joecoul. Any idea what the typical deployment to dwell ratios are?

benw2200
12-07-09, 10:15 PM
Approximately 4-5 years between mobilizations is the usual for reserve units.. and even if you're in your IRR time you'll still go, so most reservists with a 6x2 contract will deploy at least twice..

ZSKI
12-08-09, 07:07 AM
Well if u want to its easier to deploy in a reserve unit, we have a guy augmented to us now that has only drilled twice since becoming a reservist. That was close to 3 years ago. But at the same time u can avoid them as well. 4-5 years between deployments. Picking up rank is harder though. As for us as people well every I n I staff that comes thinks of us as nasty reservest then at the ennd doesnt want to leave. The main excuse i get is because reservist have other experiences and skills besides active duty

Juicemang
12-08-09, 11:30 AM
I've never thought of reservists as nasty. To be honest though, my unit in Iraq was relieved by a reserve unit, and there was a visible difference in physical appearance. I'm not exaggerating when I say it appeared that half of the unit were not within height and weight standards. I guess to some extent, there will be those kind of differences between active duty and reserves, but I still believe a Marine is a Marine, and reserve or not, Marines need to uphold the standards of the Corps.

ZSKI
12-10-09, 12:57 PM
All depends on the unit yes some reservist are like that. but then again i thought the same thing bieng active duty and going to Camp Lejeune i saw alot of incredibly over wieght marines. Like for us everyone in my platoon makes the standered because my plt sgt is a personal trainer he prided himself in destroying us in 2 hour 2 a days

Juicemang
12-10-09, 07:53 PM
Well, I'm now a SMCR Marine. Went to Selfridge ANGB and joined MWSG-47. The PSRs there were very helpful and I'm really looking forward to drilling with the Marines that I met. It looks like we're headed to Quantico for training this summer - really looking forward to it. It feels great to be back with my family, brothers!

Semper Fi!

Oh, and I found out my time in grade carries over from active duty, so I think we'll be seeing a new Sergeant of Marines here in a few months! ERRR!

ZSKI
12-12-09, 07:07 AM
Yes its only in when reserves go full active does there time change. But semper fi and good luck. your in my group by the way. im in MWSS-472 MWSG-47, Well technically now its MWSS-472(REIN) MWSG-27(Foward)

Zulu 36
12-12-09, 07:55 AM
Well, I'm now a SMCR Marine. Went to Selfridge ANGB and joined MWSG-47. The PSRs there were very helpful and I'm really looking forward to drilling with the Marines that I met. It looks like we're headed to Quantico for training this summer - really looking forward to it. It feels great to be back with my family, brothers!

Semper Fi!

Oh, and I found out my time in grade carries over from active duty, so I think we'll be seeing a new Sergeant of Marines here in a few months! ERRR!

Ah, yes. MWSG-47. My old reserve unit from 1977-78. Then I went into the Air Guard on the other side of the base.

JoeBlow
12-12-09, 08:49 PM
Wait, you've been out for at least a year and you are contemplating going BACK into the Marine Corps?

I would love to see airwing retention rates vs MLG retention rates vs. division retention rates.

MLMonk
12-12-09, 09:04 PM
<Another reservist here (if you cant tell by my avatar, lol). I'm stationed in Orlando, FL. I got a contract wrecker operator, which is good because then it's easier to augment into a deployment.

hussaf
12-12-09, 10:46 PM
Be sure to hit up Mulligan's and the bowling alley for some cold ones!

MLMonk
12-13-09, 12:58 AM
[quote=MLMonk;581172]<another reservist="" here="" (if="" you="" cant="" tell="" by="" my="" avatar,="" lol).="" m="" stationed="" in="" orlando,="" fl.="" i="" got="" contract="" wrecker="" operator,="" which="" is="" good="" because="" then="" it="" s="" easier="" to="" augment="" into="" a="" deployment.[="" quote]="">

Wow, did my post really just go UA on me? Ok, let me retype what I said, lol. I'm a reservist out in Orlando, FL. I got a contract 3536 and took the 3533 license as well.
</another>

Smitty Puffs
12-13-09, 11:11 AM
I'm in my reserve battalions STA platoon and I gotta say I love it. All the guys in my platoon are in locked on and in peak physical condition. There are some nasty guys in the reserves but for the most part the companies in the battalion that I have worked with are pretty squared away. It all depends on the leadership. Some NCO's and SNCO's care more then others, just like in the Active duty fleet.

hussaf
12-13-09, 11:21 AM
I'm in my reserve battalions STA platoon and I gotta say I love it. All the guys in my platoon are in locked on and in peak physical condition. There are some nasty guys in the reserves but for the most part the companies in the battalion that I have worked with are pretty squared away. It all depends on the leadership. Some NCO's and SNCO's care more then others, just like in the Active duty fleet.

Are there still STA platoons in the reserves? Because if there I would feel much better. I could have sworn I went to a JSS PITT that was run by an augmented STA platoon, but everyone was telling me I was crazy because there are no more STA.

Juicemang
12-13-09, 11:38 AM
Wait, you've been out for at least a year and you are contemplating going BACK into the Marine Corps?

I would love to see airwing retention rates vs MLG retention rates vs. division retention rates.

I knew four different Marines at my old unit who were out for a year or two, and then came back in. I don't think it's a rare occurrence. Contrary to what many think, I didn't come back in because it was 'too hard' on the outside. I'm perfectly fine on the outside, going to school full time, living in a nice little apartment. I just wasn't ready to completely walk away from the Corps. KILL! :flag:

Smitty Puffs
12-13-09, 11:40 AM
Well "technically" it's not called STA anymore, were just called Scout/Sniper Platoons now. But it's the same funtion and were still attached to the H&S Companies of Battalions. Were still the eyes, ears, and trigger fingers of the Battalion Commander. And yes there are still SSP's for every battalion in the reserves as far as I'm aware. But, my platoon is the only group of Scout/Snipers that I have worked with so I could be wrong.