PDA

View Full Version : Waiver

freebird13
12-07-09, 12:29 PM
Should I get a waiver for a prior injury before or after I go to MEPS? One of my recruiters told me to and another told me just to wait and see what they say when i get there and i wanted to see if anyone could help stear me in the right direction. Thank you for your service to our great country Marines, and any advice is appreciated

Vandrel
12-07-09, 12:40 PM
What and when was the injury and how does it effect you today?

freebird13
12-07-09, 12:47 PM
Broke my leg playing football in 2005 and had to have surgery twice since, once in 06 and again in 08. But it hasnt given me any problems since 08, i run everyday and it never hurts.

Vandrel
12-07-09, 12:51 PM
How serious was the surgery and what caused you to have surgery? Where was the break?

I broke my leg in the 4th grade due to a bone cyst. I've had slight aches and pains ever since then but it's randomly and never caused me any trouble when I was in.

When you fill out your medical papers you will always find on there a box that asks you if you ever had surgey before, it's simply just to check to see if you had any complications or reactions to things. Because of this I would at the very least make sure that you mention you broke your leg before but just make sure it's clear that you have no recent or present issues.

Lisa 23
12-07-09, 12:55 PM
In my opinion, only a Dr at MEPS is the only one to let you know if you need a waiver or not for the surgeries you had on your leg. And don't lie about it....it's fraudulent enlistment if you do.

freebird13
12-07-09, 12:59 PM
The first surgery was to remove the screws they put in when i broke it and the second was because the doctor screwed alighing the bones up amd it gave me problems, but ever since then ive been completly fine and thus far its gave me no problems.

Vandrel
12-07-09, 12:59 PM
Very true, the doc's are not there to DQ you from joining, they are just there to make sure you are healthy and won't die or get injured. If for some reason your leg becomes a issue you just need to work with your recruiter on it, most of the time they will get you what you need for you to ship to boot camp so long as it's medically ok.

The screws "may" be a issue but like WMarine said, only a doc will be able to tell you. Just bring it up to your recruiter, make sure he understands that you want to be a Marine. If your recruiter doesn't think you are adimate about being a Marine they may just treat you like another "number". Recruiters will work for you as much as you want them to, that's what they are there for.

freebird13
12-07-09, 01:07 PM
Thank you all for the help, ill talk to my recruiter and see if the screws will be an issue. Becoming a Marine has been my life goal and im willing to do anything i have to in order to reach this.

Vandrel
12-07-09, 01:09 PM
You are welcome

That's the right attitude to have right now