PDA

View Full Version : ? for all you gearheads

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 11:21 AM
Marines,

I have an 2006 F350 6.0L and for the past two nights (12am or later) I have woken up to my horn constantly going off. It is not the intermittent horn blasts of the alarm or panic mode, it is constantly blowing (like someone has their hand constantly on the horn button) and it only happens at night..... Any ideas or suggestions of how I can tackle this problem?

thanks,

JT
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_5927--><!-- THE POST --><!-- PM / EMAIL / WWW / MSGR -->

NoRemorse
12-07-09, 11:27 AM
sounds like the steering wheel is pushing on the horn because of the cold.

Don't know if there's an easy fix beyond getting a new wheel.

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 12:26 PM
Damn, that is what I was afraid of... I don't want to be pulling the steering wheel off and having to deal with the airbag.

NoRemorse
12-07-09, 12:27 PM
You could use this as the excuse you finally needed to build a heated garage with a large truck bay:marine:

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 12:36 PM
Now that sounds like a plan!!!!!

sscjoe
12-07-09, 12:39 PM
Sounds like your truck is pizzed that the Chargers sit at the top of the division

0331 2 0369
12-07-09, 12:46 PM
I have had that issue twice with my truck. Both times that it happened over the past year, it was really damp out and had been for a few days. I just wrote mine off as moisture on a connection somewhere.

NoRemorse
12-07-09, 12:48 PM
I'm still trying to calculate how many beers its going to take to build the garage let alone work on his steering wheel.

mcvet57103
12-07-09, 12:56 PM
I had a problem similar, but it was the park lights coming on in the middle of the night. Turned out I had two wires rubbing together, and they had wore off the plastic covering between them. When the moisture in the van was just right it would cause the wires to short across till they heated up enough to evaporate the moisture. A little snooping with an amp meter, and electrical tape cured the problem. In your case I would say it's most likely in the steering column somewhere. SF

SGT. Crist
12-07-09, 02:31 PM
Check with your dealer about any recalls. I have seen a few recalls for Ford pickups for wiring in the steering columns.

sparkie
12-07-09, 03:32 PM
Just goes to show, Fords really blow.
actually had the same prob with interior lights, pulled the bulbs, problem solved.
you don't need a horn anyway.

rickyracer
12-07-09, 04:10 PM
I would check on recalls and TSB from Ford.

MLMonk
12-07-09, 04:24 PM
You could use this as the excuse you finally needed to build a heated garage with a large truck bay:marine:
He can also use this reason to get a new loud horn system ran off an air compressor, like the kind off of semi's.

Gunner 0313
12-07-09, 04:26 PM
:flag:The bigger question is how's that 6.0 ?

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 05:14 PM
Got it figured out, just pulled the fuse until I can have someone pull the airbag.... I definately didnt want to do that one by myself....

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 05:20 PM
:flag:The bigger question is how's that 6.0 ?

With exception of the high pressure oil seals that needed to be replaced, i dont have any complaints at all... yet.... I have also done some precautionary stuff like delete the EGR cooling system...

We'll see how long the damn injectors keep working, once those are replaced that is basically evrything that goes wrong with those motors....

Gunner 0313
12-07-09, 05:38 PM
With exception of the high pressure oil seals that needed to be replaced, i dont have any complaints at all... yet.... I have also done some precautionary stuff like delete the EGR cooling system...

We'll see how long the damn injectors keep working, once those are replaced that is basically evrything that goes wrong with those motors....

:flag:Good to hear, my experience with the 6.0's was all bad. Personally I would take the 7.3 over it anyday.

GSEMarine94
12-07-09, 05:41 PM
Don't go jumpimg to conclusions about the problem being in the steering column/wheel. I had a 68 Chevelle that did the samething. Ended up being the horn had an internal short.

Quinbo
12-07-09, 06:47 PM
I had one of these in my truck
http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=nathan-airchime-k5-540-train-horn-kit

That would be awesome to have it going off in the middle of the night. Your neighbors will love you.

I had it wired into the horn relay on the steering wheel and then attached a second horn button to the column with a hose clamp. Press the white button regular horn ... press the horn on the steering wheel train horn. Both horns need an inline fuze. You could by pass the horn relay and just put a horn button on your column. It doesn't look too silly and on the right side you won't accidentally hit it with your knee.

NoRemorse
12-07-09, 07:09 PM
Don't go jumpimg to conclusions about the problem being in the steering column/wheel. I had a 68 Chevelle that did the samething. Ended up being the horn had an internal short.

Feh, we're skipping diagnostics and going to the tried and true "swap till you drop" method.

At some point he'll either be out of cash or the problem will be solved :beer:

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 09:44 PM
:flag:Good to hear, my experience with the 6.0's was all bad. Personally I would take the 7.3 over it anyday.

I totally agree... however, I wanted a newer truck... if it were up to me i would have the 7.3 in my current body

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 09:45 PM
I had one of these in my truck
http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=nathan-airchime-k5-540-train-horn-kit

That would be awesome to have it going off in the middle of the night. Your neighbors will love you.

I had it wired into the horn relay on the steering wheel and then attached a second horn button to the column with a hose clamp. Press the white button regular horn ... press the horn on the steering wheel train horn. Both horns need an inline fuze. You could by pass the horn relay and just put a horn button on your column. It doesn't look too silly and on the right side you won't accidentally hit it with your knee.

Damn!!!! i think that is definately a good solution to my problem..... :thumbup:

zx6rdr
12-07-09, 09:47 PM
Feh, we're skipping diagnostics and going to the tried and true "swap till you drop" method.

At some point he'll either be out of cash or the problem will be solved :beer:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Its funny, because it's true!!!!!!

;)

Not to mention the fact that the damn horn is so buried that I dont even want to try and replace that damn thing..... better left totally replaced and forgotten than messed with at all....