PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Practice

ETWilliams0209
12-06-09, 12:52 PM
Here's my problem,

I have heard the "best shooters in boot are virgin shooters" line, but I'm not one, sucks for me I guess. I've been shooting since I was 7, not for practice for joining the Corps but just because it is something that I enjoy doing. I also do it to thin out the coyotes that bug the horses from time to time so it's part necessity as well.

I figure since I'm already a shooter and fairly comfortable/familiar with just about anything you can put in my hands but not what I consider proficient past 150yds I probably NEED to improve my existing shooting skills.

Unless I learn how to shoot like a Marine now I'm going to go into boot shooting like a country boy with probably more than a few bad habits.

I have access to an AR15s that is the exact same weight and configuration as an M16A2 that I can practice with and a 300yd range a half hour down the road and a few old Marine friends with Expert badges who might be able to spend some range time with me, does anyone think this is a good idea? What are some typical bad habits? I don't flinch, I've eliminated that one.

Any other suggestions, advice, or drills that anyone could send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marines

polizei
12-06-09, 01:08 PM
I don't know why you're so worried about it. Just go to boot camp with an open mind and LISTEN to the PMI and the coaches. If you do this, you'll be fine. You can't really practice, because it's going to be completely different. You'll have techniques taught to you in different ways, and you'll have a shooting glove on, and a sling cutting off circulation to your body.

My advice is to just go, and listen. It'll suit you best.

ETWilliams0209
12-06-09, 01:14 PM
Thank you, I'll be sure to do that when I get there. I'm not what I would call worried but it's somewhat of a source of personal shame that I don't shoot better already, especially being from Georgia. I really enjoy shooting but if it behooves me to stop now I can live with that, should I do that or will it not make a difference?

polizei
12-06-09, 01:18 PM
I would say it won't make a difference. Chances are, you've already established bad habits...and unless you LISTEN and APPLY what will be taught in boot camp, you'll shoot the same way you do now. That might be good or bad...but what I'm saying is, the Marine Corps isn't a backyard in Georgia. Things are MUCH different on the boot camp range, so I wouldn't fret about it. You will have plenty of time to practice "snapping in" and applying the things you will be taught in boot camp.

Oh, and one piece of advice that I wish I would have listened to...**** BEFORE your turn to shoot! I missed expert by 9 points because I was laying on my bladder and had to **** SO bad (yes, it was THAT bad), I popped off my rounds as fast as I could. I should be a double expert!!!!! Oh well, things happen.

Lisa 23
12-06-09, 01:20 PM
I never shot any type of weapon of any kind in my life until I got to boot camp, and I did just fine.
Polizei gave you good advice, take it! :thumbup:

ETWilliams0209
12-06-09, 01:29 PM
I never shot any type of weapon of any kind in my life until I got to boot camp, and I did just fine.
Polizei gave you good advice, take it! :thumbup:

My problem is that I have and I'm not good, or not as good as I'd like to be. But thank you very much for the advice, I will definitely use it. I'll just try to flashback to the day I first started shooting and adopt the same mentality, blank slate.

Thanks again Marines

RYDERKUR
12-06-09, 02:03 PM
I don't believe that line. It makes sense that someone who hasn't shot can do well by listening and applying learned techniques, but all this "bad habits" and stuff. Shooting is shooting. If you can shoot well as a civilian, you'll shoot well in the Marine Corps. If you're a bad shot, you're a bad shot. I grew up shooting and have qualified Expert both times I've had to qualify. No, I didn't take high shooter, but I know the Marines that did also shot all their life. I also think that both experiences compliment my skills. My shooting before I joined help me shoot well in the Marine Corps and the skills I've learned in the Marine Corps has made me a better shooter in civilian shooting and hunting. Bottom line is don't sweat it and just listen to the PMI and coaches, they know what they're doing. The PMI's do for the most part anyways, the coaches for some reason, at least on the Depot, seemed to be fat nasties and didn't always give the best advice. Just listen to the PMI and apply the fundamentals and techniques. Breathing, sight alignment, focus on the clear tip of the front sight post and not your target, and trigger squeeze.

ETWilliams0209
12-06-09, 02:13 PM
Thanks, also I do nearly everything right handed except shooting, I am left eye dominant so I shoot left handed. I've practiced both ways and I shoot about as well right handed as left but I have to close my left eye completely to shoot right handed. What kind of hangups or situations might I run into with this? Just to be clear I don't plan on shooting right handed when it comes time for me to start shooting in boot, I'm just slightly less comfortable with it.

Zulu 36
12-06-09, 02:39 PM
I never shot at anything beyond probably 50 or so yards before I went in and that was mostly handguns.

I paid attention to the PMI and coaches and the 500-yard line became my favorite spot to shoot from until I retired.

You shouldn't have any problems shooting wrong handed vs right handed. :D. They will test you for eye dominance anyway and you can shoot left handed all you want. Being able shoot reasonably well with your off-hand may be a plus in combat shooting.

ETWilliams0209
12-06-09, 02:49 PM
Thanks Marines, it's nice to finally get some decent advice on this topic. I feel a little more confident that I'll shoot well now.

Thanks again,

~Evan Williams

Vandrel
12-07-09, 11:41 AM
I'm with everyone else here, I went to boot camp when I was 17 and only held 1 rifle before in my life which was a 22. I didn't know much about marksmanship at all so I let the PMI and coaches do the teaching and teach me from the ground up. So long as you listen to their instructions and apply them you'll walk away with Expert like I did.