PDA

View Full Version : OCS or enlist?

rlaverty
12-06-09, 12:34 PM
I have a few months left before I finish my masters degree. Joining the Marine Corp. is something I've always wanted to do but never did because I wanted to finish getting my degree first. Now that I'm finishing school I really want to experience the challenge of being a Marine and fighting alongside the best. Should I enlist and then try to work my way up to officer or should I try to go through OCS first? Do Marines respect officers who were enlisted first or does that not really play a factor? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

fespar
12-07-09, 04:42 AM
Masters Degree?How old are you?Let's start there as comments then will be more to the point.

rlaverty
12-07-09, 07:24 AM
Im 23. I started taking masters classes the month after I graduated.

GSEMarine94
12-07-09, 08:24 AM
Go to OCS, at your age doing an enlistment first may put you over the max age for OCS later on.
As far as respect, all officers are shown the respect their rank deserves.

fespar
12-07-09, 08:37 AM
If you wish to go the OCS way you must be commissioned prior to your 28th birthday.You could,of course,enlist first and then see if you qualify for Officer's School.No matter which way you go it'll be a lot of hard work."We Still Make 'Em Like We Used Too."

Vandrel
12-07-09, 11:15 AM
Enlisting first wouldn't do you much good if you wish to go officer later other then give you a check in the box. The only thing you would really see from doing that route is slightly more pay then the other guy next to you who wasn't prior enlisted, but that only lasts to Captain.

If you are 23 you can still enlist and go officer without even getting close to the 28 year old limit which I'm fairly sure you could get waived anyway these days. I've known a lot of folks who joined and stayed enlisted until they pinned on Lance Corporal and hit a year or so of time in service, then dropped their MECP package and switched over.

I personally went through boot camp with a guy who was 28 or 30, can't remember, he had a Masters. The first time I saw his face after boot camp was when I was a Lance and he was going through Engineer school next door with some other guys that just pinned on their butter bars.

Vandrel
12-07-09, 11:22 AM
I also had a Captain in Okinawa that was a crusty old basterd that went to MECP after pinning on Gunny.

Looking back on the years, I had the chance to work with a lot of prior enlisted officers. While it was nice to somewhat relate to those officers they were still officers and there were some that just made life hard for the rest of us because they felt they knew best since they were prior enlisted.

Bottom line, it can be done if you want to but in the end if you want to be a officer then I suggest just jumping into that field to get your feet wet and start working for your FITREP's. If you want to experience the enlisted side that's just fine and in some cases you'll find yourself to become a better officer because you personally experienced the hardships of being a "troop" busting your balls and picking up trash, etc.

To some degree it is true, enlisted will respect you more as prior enlisted, however that's not always the case and sometimes it can be a negative thing when your Marines try to take advantage of that and bring you down to their level. As long as you have a strong SNCO to back you up you'll be set for success.

echo3oscar1833
12-07-09, 03:01 PM
I also had a Captain in Okinawa that was a crusty old basterd that went to MECP after pinning on Gunny.

Looking back on the years, I had the chance to work with a lot of prior enlisted officers. While it was nice to somewhat relate to those officers they were still officers and there were some that just made life hard for the rest of us because they felt they knew best since they were prior enlisted.

Bottom line, it can be done if you want to but in the end if you want to be a officer then I suggest just jumping into that field to get your feet wet and start working for your FITREP's. If you want to experience the enlisted side that's just fine and in some cases you'll find yourself to become a better officer because you personally experienced the hardships of being a "troop" busting your balls and picking up trash, etc.

To some degree it is true, enlisted will respect you more as prior enlisted, however that's not always the case and sometimes it can be a negative thing when your Marines try to take advantage of that and bring you down to their level. As long as you have a strong SNCO to back you up you'll be set for success.

Rah, totally agree, remember Captain Harris, now Major Harris was prior enlisted. He was a top notch officer, but you know we always had good NCO's/SNCO's in Bravo haha. First Sergeant Chapman ftw!!!:D

rlaverty
12-08-09, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the insight Marines. For the physical aspect of OCS I'm pretty confident in what I am doing to prepare. I'm 6'2" 160 lbs and I consider myself to be balanced in strength, speed and agility. I weight train 4 days a week and run 3 days (usually 3 miles at varying speeds). For the mental aspect of OCS I'm not to sure on what I should do besides keep reminding myself of why I want to become a Marine and some of the hardships I'm going to have to face in order to get the eagle, globe and anchor. Any Marines have tips or advice on how I can further mentally prepare for OCS?

MD8724
12-08-09, 07:57 PM
Just not worry about it one bit. Don't try to learn about it, or get any insight into it. Go completely blind. Then remember that everyone will think you're a pussy if you fail.

That's what I did!

Vandrel
12-08-09, 08:12 PM
Rah, totally agree, remember Captain Harris, now Major Harris was prior enlisted. He was a top notch officer, but you know we always had good NCO's/SNCO's in Bravo haha. First Sergeant Chapman ftw!!!:D

One of the greatest Mustang officers I have ever worked with hands down. Firm but fair and always told it like it is, never did any gay **** at all and always ensured the lowest man on the pole was taken care of

Then remember that everyone will think you're a pussy if you fail.

I'm pretty sure that goes though everyone's mind, I know it went though mine :D

There really is no way to mentally prep for it. You just go and take it as it comes. Keep your head up and don't ever quit while you are there. The first time you quit on yourself will forever cause you to quit on later things.

The key thing you will want to work on before going to OCS is running, running, and more running. Fresh Lt's hitting the fleet are generally running like jack rabbits and smoking the enlisted Marines. Most of my buddies that were TBS instructors always told me how much they would thrash those guys and run them to death.