PDA

View Full Version : Deployment?

dwrz
12-06-09, 10:04 AM
I'm currently in the Basic Marine Platoon on Parris Island, recovering from a tibial stress fracture and plantar fasciitis in both feet. I hope to be out of here by February, though no word from medical as to an actual date. I'm spending my time here doing physical therapy, working out, and working on MCIs/MarineNet courses, so on. As soon as I am out of here I will head to ITB for my occupational training; my MOS is 0351.

My unit is 2/25; my guess is that I will be stationed with the Weapons Company (Garden City, LI, NY). A friend of mine currently at ITB is also 2/25, but he is in Golf Company (Picatinny Arsenal, NJ). He heard from an instructor that 2/25 was deploying in June. He called his First Sergeant, who confirmed. My friend is not sure whether the First Sergeant was referring to Golf or all of 2/25.

My questions:
How do I find out if I am deploying or not?
If I am, what should I do with my time from here on out? Is there any material I can read on MarineNet, books I should read, practical things to do to make sure I am ready to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

Zulu 36
12-06-09, 12:17 PM
I'm currently in the Basic Marine Platoon on Parris Island, recovering from a tibial stress fracture and plantar fasciitis in both feet. I hope to be out of here by February, though no word from medical as to an actual date. I'm spending my time here doing physical therapy, working out, and working on MCIs/MarineNet courses, so on. As soon as I am out of here I will head to ITB for my occupational training; my MOS is 0351.

My unit is 2/25; my guess is that I will be stationed with the Weapons Company (Garden City, LI, NY). A friend of mine currently at ITB is also 2/25, but he is in Golf Company (Picatinny Arsenal, NJ). He heard from an instructor that 2/25 was deploying in June. He called his First Sergeant, who confirmed. My friend is not sure whether the First Sergeant was referring to Golf or all of 2/25.

My questions:
How do I find out if I am deploying or not?
If I am, what should I do with my time from here on out? Is there any material I can read on MarineNet, books I should read, practical things to do to make sure I am ready to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

Call your First Sergeant same as your buddy did. More than likely your whole battalion will go, but call to double check.

I'm not certain what is out there on the Corps intranet these days as my Marine Corps time was before the Internet. I would take as many MCIs related to infantry as they will let you. Find and read books and magazine articles related to the current Afghan war, particularly on Marine operations and on the culture of the Afghans.

Additionally, I'd work as hard on your physical fitness as possible (within the constraints of your physical therapy, of course).

Lupo22
12-07-09, 06:11 PM
isn't this a violation of OpSec? And how do you know what unit you're in if you're still on PI? We didn't know what unit we were going to until the last two weeks of ITB...

MD8724
12-07-09, 06:16 PM
isn't this a violation of OpSec? And how do you know what unit you're in if you're still on PI? We didn't know what unit we were going to until the last two weeks of ITB...

Look in the Marine Corps Times and you will see an article telling you who IS going to Afghanistan, and where, and who will probably go, and where they will probably go. Not really a big secret.

Zulu 36
12-07-09, 06:24 PM
Also, the 25th Marines are a reserve unit.

Lupo22
12-07-09, 07:31 PM
Look in the Marine Corps Times and you will see an article telling you who IS going to Afghanistan, and where, and who will probably go, and where they will probably go. Not really a big secret.

Ya, good point. I was just going by what I've been told by some of my SNCO's about that kinda stuff.

And I didn't realize he was a reservist...my bad