PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to enlist

Dolan23
12-06-09, 08:29 AM
Hello Marines! To get right to the point. I am not a HS diploma holder and going to go GED route(already have GED and taking classes at local college.) I will require no waivers and will probally score high on the ASVAB(scored top 5% on GED). After this next semester I will have over 20 college credits and talk with a recruiter with the hope of enlistment. I will also take any available MOS position offered to me, but mostly want 03xx. With quotas being met with ease right now, is it even likely to get in within the next year given my circumstance? Thank you Marines! I am proud of all of your service.

Lisa 23
12-06-09, 11:40 AM
This might help you out.........

GED question
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91049&highlight=diploma&page=2

Dolan23
12-06-09, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Marine. I am well aware of the setbacks my GED has/will be. However, the past is the past and I'm not much for making excuses. All I can do at this point is take steps towards rectifying the decisions I made years ago. My dad,uncle, and grandpa all served and I am proud of my families service and wanting to continue the tradition and serve.

polizei
12-06-09, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up...it was posted somewhere, but I think it was like a 5% chance to get enlisted in the Marine Corps with a GED and NO waivers, BEFORE the quota was filled. Basically, now that the Corps can easily choose the people they want, why the hell would they want a GED recruit?

Simply put, try, try, and try again, but when you fall short of a goal, don't give up. I don't foresee a likely future for you becoming a Marine, but who knows. Good luck.

Vandrel
12-07-09, 12:21 PM
It's been nearly 10 years since I came in but I did come in with a GED. It was very simple and easy and to be quite honest no one had no clue I had a GED the entire time I was in until I told them. I can't really think of 1 time where my diploma was a factor in my career. Boot camp is your fresh start on life, once you get there make the best of it.

When I was in highschool all I wanted to do was be a Marine, I thought about it so much that it distracted me from school and I dropped out in the 10th grade. Eventually I got off my ass and went to a alternative school to get my GED, things actually worked out for me where I got my GED and graduated boot camp while my peers were still in the 11th grade.

Lisa 23
12-07-09, 12:59 PM
Marine Corps
ASVAB Score - Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32. A very few exceptions are made (about one percent) for some exceptionally otherwise qualified recruits with scores as low as 25.
Education - As with the Air Force, those without a high school education are ineligible. The Marine Corps limits GED enlistments to no more than five percent per year. Those with a GED must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to even be considered. As with the other services, the Marine Corps offers advanced enlistment rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blusmcadvancedrank.htm) for college credits. However, of all the services, the Marines are the most restrictive in this area. The maximum advanced rank for college credits is E-2, where the other services will give college credit advanced rank up to E-3 (E-4 in the Army).

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

Vandrel
12-07-09, 01:06 PM
That's pretty much the exact same info we received in recruiter school. I'd like to say that the physical year cap isn't so much governed anymore but it really depends on the time of year and how the RS is doing on it's numbers.

I will say this, if a district isn't making it's mission requirments for shipping then they will take what they can get. If you are in one of these districts then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.