PDA

View Full Version : Problem with joining.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 12:50 PM
Hello, it has been My desire to join the Marine Corps for a long time now and my question was, why are they wanting Me to go to a semester of college just because I am homeschooled?(costs 700$) I talked to a Marine Recruiter in my area and he never said I was required to do that, but then he blew me off haha, and now the one I'm talking To says I might have to but I'm tryin to get out of it. I mean I never dropped out of highschool I've been doing it my whole life I also get a real highschool diplomat to go with it not a GED. Any advice? Thank You.

SGT7477
12-04-09, 12:53 PM
How about a profile.

FattyTheFerret
12-04-09, 01:13 PM
15 college credits isn't that hard to get. Just make sure they're actual classes; CLEP credits or other credits gained from testing do NOT count.

I don't know if a homeschool diploma is looked at the same as a GED but either way, with those 15 credits it won't matter. Besides, it's good to get some of the core classes out of the way. You'll be a slightly more educated and well-rounded person.

NoRemorse
12-04-09, 01:17 PM
A diploma as a result of home schooling is not in the same tier as a high school diploma. That's why you're required to get college credits.

$700 for how many credits?

Tookie22
12-04-09, 01:19 PM
There is a list if accredited homeschools. Apperently your school wasn't so it is treated almost as a GED so they want you to have 15 college credits.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 01:33 PM
Alright, I think it's 15 like he said above, but they were telling me that I should just take the easy classes cause it's gonna be a community college so they said P.E. Etc. And that didn't make any sense to me to go to college for that?

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 01:35 PM
I heard they wanted you to do it for discipline to see if you could listen to a drill instructor, just because you've been homeschooled your whole life.

NoRemorse
12-04-09, 01:35 PM
You can sign up for elective courses... like 100 series classes. They have to be from an accredited college and actual college level courses.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 01:39 PM
Alright, that sounds good. I just found it odd why my previous recruiter said I was hood to go as long as I get the required credits for my state, not arguing just wonder haha.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 01:40 PM
Wondering""

FattyTheFerret
12-04-09, 01:48 PM
Alright, I think it's 15 like he said above, but they were telling me that I should just take the easy classes cause it's gonna be a community college so they said P.E. Etc. And that didn't make any sense to me to go to college for that?

It does because for any degree you'll need a certain number of electives.

Go to your local community college and sign up for four or five classes that add up to 15 credits. I would recommend getting some math and english out of the way. A political science class, philosophy or psychology class would also be beneficial.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 01:51 PM
Alright, does it make a difference if my homeschool is accredited? And a semester is 6 months right? Thank you.

FattyTheFerret
12-04-09, 01:59 PM
I believe it depends on the state. Some states offer homeschool diplomas that the military accepts, some don't.

A semester is usually about 16 weeks with a break here and there depending on local schedules.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 02:03 PM
Okay cool, yea if I have to I just want to get it done and over with so I can join. Thank you Marines.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 02:11 PM
Oh and here's the site if anyone has questions or thinks different www.narhs.org

polizei
12-04-09, 02:30 PM
It's really not that hard, I got mine in two semesters (18 weeks), but half of my classes didn't count. So, if you take 100-series or equivalent classes, you should be able to get them fairly fast. What I did is went to college straight from high school, did two semesters, then joined. This gave me contract PFC, and now I'm done (reserve), I'm starting school again soon. You can do the same if you want to go active.

Twitchell
12-04-09, 02:31 PM
Hello, it has been My desire to join the Marine Corps for a long time now and my question was, why are they wanting Me to go to a semester of college just because I am homeschooled?(costs 700$) I talked to a Marine Recruiter in my area and he never said I was required to do that, but then he blew me off haha, and now the one I'm talking To says I might have to but I'm tryin to get out of it. I mean I never dropped out of highschool I've been doing it my whole life I also get a real highschool diplomat to go with it not a GED. Any advice? Thank You.

I had the same thing happen to me. My home school stuff wasn't accredited so I had to go to college for almost a year. It wasn't bad though. It got me started on my criminal justice degree, and I graduated Boot Camp 2-3 months before my high school class graduated high school. I know $700.00 bucks seems like allot, but I know many people that have spent thousands to get enlisted, or even reenlisted into the Corps. If you want it you'll do it, if you don't you wont. Good luck!

NoRemorse
12-04-09, 02:37 PM
Man! Where are you guys going to school? $700 will barely get me 3 credits nowadays.

Lisa 23
12-04-09, 02:52 PM
HSLD's Homeschooling Thru High School Newsletter - - March 2007
The Military's Homeschool Policy

In 2007, the Department of Defense modified its enlistment policy so that homeschoolers who receive an AFQT (Armed Forces Qualification Test) score of 50 or above will enlist as Tier 1. Homeschool students who score below 50 will enlist as Tier 2.

All recruits in all tiers are required to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test known as the ASVAB test. Included on the ASVAB are 4 critical parts which comprise the recruit's Armed Forces Qualifying Test score (AFQT). It is critical for a homeschooler who wishes to enlist as Tier 1 to study for and complete practice ASVAB tests in order to attain an AFQT score of 50 or above. Scoring high on the entire ASVAB test will additionally provide recruits with the most job opportunities as well as signing bonuses. Some recruiting centers offer classes and/or coaching to help recruits score well on this test. There are also websites which provide practice tests (http://www.hslda.org/elink.asp?id=3821) as well as give test taking strategies (http://www.hslda.org/elink.asp?id=3822).

The ASVAB test should be taken before enlisting. It can be repeated as often as necessary at 30 day intervals in order to attain the necessary 50+ score. Again, it is important that your son or daughter take the ASVAB before enlisting so he or she will be enlisted as Tier 1 which will accord your child many worthwhile benefits such as possible bonuses, promotions, specialized training, choices of postings, and so on.

http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2007/03/20070301110308.asp

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 02:52 PM
Twitchell, haha my homeschool program is accredited just to let you know :)

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 02:54 PM
WMarine I've seen that same thing! That's why it's weird to me ya know? I've heard it depends on which recruiter you get.

Twitchell
12-04-09, 03:07 PM
Twitchell, haha my homeschool program is accredited just to let you know :)

WMarine I've seen that same thing! That's why it's weird to me ya know? I've heard it depends on which recruiter you get.

Master Ninja, I wont jump down your throat this time, but lets start seeing some PFC., Lcpl., Cpl., Sgt. ect. When your addressing Marines. If your enlisting, you better get used to it. Current, former, retired, what ever. Still Marines!

Lisa 23
12-04-09, 03:09 PM
After using the search bar, here's a few other threads on found on homeschooling....

Homeschool
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86394&highlight=homeschool

Homeschooling?
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84970&highlight=homeschool&page=2

Homeschool and enlisting
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66320&highlight=homeschool&page=2

Homeschooling and enlistment.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65239&highlight=homeschool

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 03:09 PM
I'm sorry,my apologies Marine. What homeschool program did you go through?

Twitchell
12-04-09, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry,my apologies Marine. What homeschool program did you go through?

Sorry, are you asking me or WMarine?

Twitchell
12-04-09, 03:16 PM
Master Ninja if you were asking me, good question. It's been a while, but I think it was American School if I'm not mistaken!

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 03:21 PM
I was asking Marine twitchell, haha okay I see mine is NARHS(North Atlantic Regional High School), and thank you for pulling up those link WMarine!

Twitchell
12-04-09, 03:46 PM
I was asking Marine twitchell, haha okay I see mine is NARHS(North Atlantic Regional High School), and thank you for pulling up those link WMarine!

Ahhhh I see.:thumbup: Well good luck with it. And really, don't worry about the College thing if you go. Like the other Marines on here have said. It's not that bad, plus it could get you automatic PFC as well. Which is a plus. I hate school, I'm a rock when it comes to book smarts so I was dreading it. But I actually liked College. It's just a different environment. Later...... Lcpl Twitch!

Lisa 23
12-04-09, 04:40 PM
and thank you for pulling up those link WMarine!

No problem. I hope they were helpful. :thumbup:

FattyTheFerret
12-04-09, 05:08 PM
Oh and here's the site if anyone has questions or thinks different www.narhs.org

Unfortunately just because it's accredited doesn't mean it's accepted by the military. CLEP credits are accepted at most accredited universities but as far as I know the DoD doesn't accept them for educational waivers.

FattyTheFerret
12-04-09, 05:10 PM
Man! Where are you guys going to school? $700 will barely get me 3 credits nowadays.

Local community colleges can often be around 50-80 bucks a credit hour. A good number of them also offer associate's degrees and bachelor's degrees through university agreements.

Master Ninja
12-04-09, 05:34 PM
Alright well thank you WMarine, Marine FattyTheFerret, And Lcpl Twitch, Thanks for the Support.