PDA

View Full Version : Green Card and US Marine Corps

Pancho
12-03-09, 09:01 AM
Hello,
I am 19 years old and citizen of Croatia.
This question is intended for the US Marine Corps recruiters if there are any here or anyone who knows something about this.

At the moment I'm at the college and I'll probably have opportunity to go to the USA next year on work through college. They send few students on work to USA every year.
I guess that I can't join the US Marine Corps on student visa, but can I acquire Green Card anyhow while I'm in the USA for a few months with student visa?
Or is it possible to join the US Marine Corps anyhow with student visa?

P.S. I have used search function but haven't found nothing that completely answers my question.

Thanks in advance.

fespar
12-03-09, 09:23 AM
I was in your exact situation many years ago.Take it from me,you MUST have a green card to work in the U.S.,you must have a green card join the Marines.You cannot get a green card while in the U.S. on a student visa.You must apply for a green card from your country.To get a green card you must have a company in the U.S. who want to hire you because you have a special training/knowledge that they cannot find in the U.S.When I got a job offering in the U.S. my future employer had to fight red-tape for three years before the INS approved of me!How many employers would be willing to wait that long.I "fought" for over nine years before I had everything needed to enlist in the Marines.Enlisting in the Marine Corps was the best thing I've ever done!

Pancho
12-03-09, 10:35 AM
You cannot get a green card while in the U.S. on a student visa.You must apply for a green card from your country.To get a green card you must have a company in the U.S. who want to hire you because you have a special training/knowledge that they cannot find in the U.S.When I got a job offering in the U.S. my future employer had to fight red-tape for three years before the INS approved of me!How many employers would be willing to wait that long.I "fought" for over nine years before I had everything needed to enlist in the Marines.Enlisting in the Marine Corps was the best thing I've ever done!

You waited three years? That's a lot of time.
So basically if I understood You correct until I finish college I can't ask for Green Card and even then only when I get a job offer?
Any other legal way to get the Green Card faster? Three years is really a lot of time.

fespar
12-03-09, 11:47 AM
You can't change any kind of temporary visa to a permanent one while in the US.Your desire to serve in the Marine Corps won't get you a green card.You must find a civilian employment.The employer must show the INS why they want you,i.e. show that there's no qualified person in the US.This,in turn,means that they must place want ads,interview applicants etc.Yes,this is a long,lonesome way to go.This is the legal way to go.The only way to go if you wish to serve in the USMC.It's a loooooong way to go,but worth it in the end.Glory to the Corps!!:flag:

Phantom Blooper
12-03-09, 04:30 PM
Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

:evilgrin: