PDA

View Full Version : Waiver question

Carmine91
12-02-09, 11:12 PM
Okay i went to the recruiter about two months ago and i had to do a tattoo waiver for some tattoos on my hands. I've read on here that it could be a permanent dq but he told me that i actually have a pretty good chance of my waiver getting approved, because my tattoos are really small. I called my recruiter about two weeks ago to see if he heard anything and he said he hasnt, but anyways my question is how long will it take for me to find out if my waiver got approved or not. It seems two months is a long time.

Thank you Marines.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-03-09, 03:25 AM
Realistically, there is no 'answer' to this one. The answer could come as soon as tomorrow, or as late as March. It's all up to the whims of Headquarters, Marine Corps I'm afraid. Patience, in this case, is a virtue.

Carmine91
12-03-09, 01:01 PM
Thank you. I hope i hear something really soon.

New York
12-03-09, 02:53 PM
Post a picture of them, and I guarantee you that I can or other Marines on here will tell you if you will be PDQ.

I have NEVER seen a Marine with tattoos on his hand/hands. You have a better chance with a HUGE scar on your face then you do with something like that.

GSEMarine94
12-03-09, 03:09 PM
Post a picture of them, and I guarantee you that I can or other Marines on here will tell you if you will be PDQ.

I have NEVER seen a Marine with tattoos on his hand/hands. You have a better chance with a HUGE scar on your face then you do with something like that.

I had a Sgt with a tattoo on his left hand.

New York
12-03-09, 03:12 PM
I doubt he enlisted like that..The Corps policy on hand tats is literally Zero T.

GSEMarine94
12-03-09, 03:22 PM
I doubt he enlisted like that..The Corps policy on hand tats is literally Zero T.
He did, but that was 1993

Carmine91
12-03-09, 08:05 PM
My recruiter told me that there letting people in with tatts on their hands.

GSEMarine94
12-03-09, 08:22 PM
You may get in with them, as did my former Sgt. But I can say that you will never be able to make a career of it. You will most likely have to have them removed.

Lisa 23
12-03-09, 08:27 PM
Tattoo (Body Art) Policy
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Pages/MARINECORPSTATTOOPOLICY.aspx

Carmine91
12-03-09, 09:20 PM
Those dont say anything about tattoos on the hands.

Lisa 23
12-03-09, 10:17 PM
Marines Ban Sleeve Tats <br />
<br />
The ban is aimed primarily at &quot;sleeve&quot; tattoos, the large and often elaborate designs on the biceps and forearms of many Marines. Similar designs on the lower legs will be...

Carmine91
12-04-09, 12:24 AM

Theres an attachment to the pictures. Those pictures were taken before i went and got them done professionally. I did them myself in this picture but they look alot better now. But there really small thats why my recruiter said i had a pretty good chance to get accepted. But you can tell me what you think. Thank you Marines

JSam
12-04-09, 12:29 AM
Nah, I'd say that's a DQ.
But hey, the Army will take you...

Carmine91
12-04-09, 01:18 AM
I might join the Army get them removed while im in then join the Marines.

Phantom Blooper
12-04-09, 06:27 AM
What are they supposed to symbolize?

It looks like you get horny with your left hand and X marks the spot with your right...but who am I to say?

I would say no....:evilgrin:

FattyTheFerret
12-04-09, 01:02 PM
There are waivers for practically anything under the sun. The issue is getting them approved. You'll have a better chance if you have college time, high ASVAB and other desirable attributes.

That being said I don't imagine recruiting is hard up for numbers anymore. It took me a few months last year to get a waiver all the way up to BGen Salinas and that's before the 202k goal was hit. They can afford to be pickier about who they let in these days but if you can show that you're a better qualified individual and can add more to the Corps than the average 18 year old you have a shot.

Carmine91
12-04-09, 01:06 PM
What are they supposed to symbolize?

It looks like you get horny with your left hand and X marks the spot with your right...but who am I to say?

I would say no....:evilgrin:

It symbolizes good and evil. My left hand has a pitchfork and the right one has a cross.

Lisa 23
12-04-09, 02:58 PM
It symbolizes good and evil. My left hand has a pitchfork and the right one has a cross.

Your tattoos may fall into one of the categories below......

Marines are prohibited from:

d. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps. These may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-american, anti-social, gang related, or extremest group or organization related.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm

New York
12-05-09, 01:27 PM
Good luck in Boot Camp with that, DIs will single you out and name label you. I doubt there will be a waiver for them, Marine Corps recruitment is getting very picky and you going with those on your hands is most likely a PDQ.

The Army got stress cards so you can probably get away with that if they mess with you to much.

That's just reality in the Corps, I suggest you save your money get them removed and then enlisted.

GSEMarine94
12-05-09, 02:43 PM
The Army got stress cards so you can probably get away with that if they mess with you to much.

That's not true.

FattyTheFerret
12-05-09, 03:00 PM
http://www.snopes.com/military/stress.asp

Vandrel
12-07-09, 12:11 PM
You may get in with them, as did my former Sgt. But I can say that you will never be able to make a career of it. You will most likely have to have them removed.

That is VERY true. A lot of the B-billet MOS's are crunching on their requirements and regulations on tattoos, even Drill Instructors are getting slammed by this.

As enlisted shooting for a successful career path would mean you'll almost have to go for a B-billet after your first enlistment. If you don't and you pick something like go to jump school and stay in your MOS you can almost completely toss out the idea of you getting promoted to SNCO in the future anytime soon.

Marines who successfully complete MSG, DI, and Recruiting are more likely to get promoted over their peers as long as the rest of their stuff is up to par.

Having visible tattoos will prevent you from MSG and Recruiting, no iffs ands or buts, and I hear that DI may be going the same path. Recruiter school used to do waivers and pass "select" tattoos after they were reviewed by the staff there but I've seen many Marines turned away from that school even for the most minor of tattoos.

Long story short, if it's small and you can get it removed, do so.

EDIT: I just saw the picture you posted of them, I HIGHLY suggest you get them removed or at the least covered up to scew them. You will thank me later.

Carmine91
12-07-09, 02:13 PM
Im trying to get them removed now. Even if my waiver gets accepted im going to get them removed because i want to make the Marines my career and i dont want my tattoos to hold me back at all.

Vandrel
12-07-09, 02:19 PM
Good to hear and good choice