PDA

View Full Version : Reserves to Active

TheTransporter
12-02-09, 09:17 PM
I know there have been a few topics about this sort of thing, but I haven't seen any that were too similar to the situation I'm in, so I figure this post will be ok. So, my recruiter called me today and told me that there were some Marines that came up to the local recruiting office from Camp Pendleton who specialized in working with reservists who wanted to go Active. He told me that if I was to file my augmentation papers with their department, I would be able to join an Active unit while my papers were being processed but still be classified as reserve. My main goal is to be an Active duty Marine, and I'm just worried that things might not go completely hunky-dory, in which case I'd be farther away from my goal.

Any advice?

josephd
12-02-09, 09:56 PM
You want to be active duty correct?.....so sign an active duty contract then.

In order to go active from a reserve unit you have to get a conditional release from your unit, then basically go re-enlist at your recruiters office. I have been through the whole process and it is a pain in the butt.

I guess I really don't understand what the problem is really, if you want to be active duty then go active duty. Seems pretty simple to me.

Petz
12-02-09, 10:21 PM
these guys are going to mobilize him until her reenlistment package gets approved, it's just something that will get him back working sooner. This unit is probably aware of his current attempt to augment.

I say go for it. You can reenlist while on AD... Marines do it every day.

FattyTheFerret
12-02-09, 10:29 PM
There's reserve, active, and active reserve. Be sure the recruiters and/or career jammers are giving you all the info you need.

Petz
12-02-09, 10:31 PM
huh? this Marine should know all about the different types of Marine Corps as he's been to tamp/tap before he got out the first time.

He'll be fine, he was asking for reassurance not some flaky response that has nothing to do with his question.

FattyTheFerret
12-02-09, 10:35 PM
I didn't realize he'd been here before. I saw "Marine Friend" and 19 as his age, didn't think he'd have an enlistment already under his belt. I saw mention of reserves and active but no AR so I figured there was a chance he might not know about it.

Petz
12-02-09, 10:36 PM
if you actually read his first reply you'd see that he's a reservist who wants to go active duty....

FattyTheFerret
12-02-09, 10:44 PM
Roger that. Totally missed that part. Mea culpa.

TheTransporter
12-02-09, 11:34 PM
Oh, sorry Marines, should have been a bit more descriptive. I'm actually a Wannabe, not even a Poolee yet. I'm still in the preliminary stages. The thing is, my recruiter told me that there are no Active duty slots open for the time being, so if I were to swear in tomorrow, it would be as a reservist. Hope that clears some things up.

Lisa 23
12-02-09, 11:34 PM
if you actually read his first reply you'd see that he's a reservist who wants to go active duty....
Never mind.

Petz
12-03-09, 06:49 AM
wow, this kid just screwed everything up.

I'm going to be a dick and say your recruiter is lying 'cause he needs to get himself a reservist. go talk to another RSS or something.

New York
12-03-09, 03:07 PM
I agree, make sure you sign a ACTIVE DUTY contract at MEPS, go over your paper work.

Sounds like he might be getting the green weenie from the recruiter..

josephd
12-03-09, 04:27 PM
Oh, sorry Marines, should have been a bit more descriptive. I'm actually a Wannabe, not even a Poolee yet. I'm still in the preliminary stages. The thing is, my recruiter told me that there are no Active duty slots open for the time being, so if I were to swear in tomorrow, it would be as a reservist. Hope that clears some things up.

if you want to be active duty, DO NOT sign that contract and don't let your recruiter tell you otherwise

SGT7477
12-03-09, 05:21 PM
wow, this kid just screwed everything up.

I'm going to be a dick and say your recruiter is lying 'cause he needs to get himself a reservist. go talk to another RSS or something.
SSgt Petz for President, OOHRAH.:flag:

polizei
12-03-09, 07:32 PM
Ha, if you sign that contract to be a reservist and you want active...good luck. You'll take it from behind harder than anything you could imagine.