thedrifter
08-21-03, 03:30 PM
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island <br />
Story Identification Number: 200382183455 <br />
Story by Cpl. Thomas Perry <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Aug. 22, 2003) -- Beginning in October, Marine Corps...

richgitz
08-21-03, 04:06 PM
Whats with the GOLD plated S**T, Polishing Brass isn't in vogue.
I guess BRASSO'S stock will go down.

mrbsox
08-21-03, 04:15 PM
DITTO SSgt

Polishing brass is as important as Spit Shine. We were allowed the plated stuff for everyday wear, but come inspection time, the 'green' better be off the brass.

Same with Corafram (?? Spell check didn't work) OK for everyday or Duty NCO, but better be Leather for Inspection.

This is the type of stuff that starts "OLD CORPS" "NEW CORPS" chatter. WE all know OLD CORPS was better....

... but in it's own way. I'd have really liked NOT getting TAD for wearing my 'Woolie Pully'. They wern't authorized in '79, much less issued.

Terry

mrbsox
08-21-03, 04:17 PM
Somebody start a poll...

Brasso vs. Duraglit. What did you use ??

Duraglit here.

richgitz
08-21-03, 04:19 PM
BRASSO here, and KWIKI for the shoes and IRON CITY BEER for
ME.

greensideout
08-21-03, 06:58 PM
Epaulettes on the woolly pulley----Good idea. A more military appearance!

The brass vs. gold plate? I don't buy this one. Three reasons.
1. The deep rich shine of polished brass makes the plated shine of gold look like a cheap trinket.
2. The pride of well shined brass is just another example of Marine pride.
3. It's a Marine lifestyle to be shining brass, spit shining shoes and boots and the bill on the Jarhead cover or cleaning your weapon. It's what you do when you are sharing scuttlebutt with other Marines. (Idle hands are the devil's workshop.)

Spit shined boots and shoes?
Did you ever notice the look of an inspecting officer's eyes when they look at your spit shine and it makes their "ready shine" look like they just marched through an Italian pizza?

Semper Fi

top1371
08-21-03, 11:35 PM
I love a good spit shine. Had an inspection once as a private and the staff sergeant thought my shine was fake. He asked if he could touch my boot, I let him. He then told me he believed me and that I did an outstanding job. That was years ago but things like that you don't forget the feeling of. Point is, that is a feeling that Marines are about to lose by taking all the shortcuts.

What will be the benefit of standing an inspection and being told, "That sure is a nice looking buckle!"... Response, "Yes Sir! I just bought it at the PX this morning." No effort, no rewards.

I think this is just part of the wave of a drop in standards. A squared away set of Charlies in 1982 looked much better than a squared away set of Charlies in 2003.

I hope all you old timers caught that the new cammies are worn with suede!

And I am 100% BRASSO :D

Semper Fi,

lurchenstein
08-21-03, 11:58 PM
Used BRASSO & DURAGLIT for brass (preferred BRASSO).
Preferred Lincoln Shoe polish for boots & shoes.
The gold plated uniform accessories are slow to tarnish, but still need to be cleaned up occasionally (like the buttons on the Dress Blues blouse). Marines should know how to put a glistening shine on boots & brass; however, there are times when the low maintenance items are handy).

Seeley
08-22-03, 12:52 AM
In MCJROTC the Gunny makes sure we know how to polish brass and get leather to shine. We iron our own uniforms too. As a matter of fact, I gave a class on uniform care for the sophomore cadets last year. You guys are right too, I love the feeling of my boots, shoes, my belt tip and buckles looking better than the anodized junk. Hard work feels good in the long run and shows who has pride and who likes to cut corners.