PDA

View Full Version : Tanker/AirCrew MOS??

Toretto
12-01-09, 08:11 PM
OK,

So in 2 days I swear in.

I am still undecided on what MOS I want to choose. I am going in as a reservist, and will try to go active ASAP. (long story)

So, I have a waiver for hearing loss. And have a wife and 3yr old son.

Now, Any Tankers on here? Any Aircrew? I know Air Crew school can be pretty intense. And its long. Are deployments more rapid with Air Crew?

How about Tankers? When not deployed is it a pretty much 9-5 type deal?

I am 23yrs old. I am a diesel mechanic currently, and do not want to turn wrenches as a job anymore. So Motor T is a no go.

I know many say to choose a MOS that will benefit you when you get out, but I am not worried about that. I want to join for the experience.

Infantry sounds all fun and good times, but I hear it defintley takes a toll on the body and not really good for someone with a family. Now I know the Military period is hard on a family. So thats understandable, but don't want to make it "worse".

So even besides those 2 MOS what are some others that may give me a good experience and possible see a little action?

Donut Brigade
12-01-09, 11:55 PM
You don't want to be stuck in student status forever, or a five year contract in case you regret your future decisions.

I like my MOS; it's a fairly long school, and job satisfaction is high for the most part. You are looking at about 1 year TIS before you hit the fleet. Avionics deploys on carriers as well as countries.

I was in AC school and I didn't make it because I was a lazy mofo and had a few medical problems. You don't want to show up to AC school with bad hearing; flight physicals are strict, and you can be reclassified into a different MOS if you are unfit to train.