PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take their laptop to afghanistan?

christ0ph0311
12-01-09, 06:35 PM
I'm debating it. Anyone in a grunt bn take theirs? i dont know if it's worth it.

egbutler1
12-01-09, 06:41 PM
I'm debating it. Anyone in a grunt bn take theirs? i dont know if it's worth it.
Took mine to Iraq, couldn't hook it up to the internet or anything since we didn't have it but we watched ton's of movies on it. Well worth it, unless you want to have rock throwing contests for fun.

GSEMarine94
12-02-09, 07:26 AM
My little brother took his 2 years ago, he was with the 82nd, stationed up at Bagram. Use to talk to him every other night. He had service in his room, can't remember if it was satelite, or land line but I do remember it was high speed and fairly reliable.

Zulu 36
12-02-09, 08:24 AM

Lots of grunts are on FOBs with little electricity and no Internet. Plus I think you are going to be a bit busy. If you were a winger going to Bagram, it might be worth it. I know my daughter is taking hers, but she'll be at Bagram.

0331 2 0369
12-02-09, 08:28 AM
When I was out in the Al Qaim region of Iraq, the building were wired for wireless. Lots of Marines got on their laptops when they were inside the wire. As mentioned already, you might just end up watching movies on it. Which isn't such a bad thing because you can buy bootleg copies over there really cheap.

DocGreek
12-02-09, 08:34 AM
:evilgrin:.....WELL!!!....I wonder how Marines that served in VietNam feel about this thread, especially those Marines who were stuck out in the bush for 30 to 60 days....HHHHMMMMM...:evilgrin:

Meserole08orah
12-02-09, 08:39 AM
The grunts that were in Afghanistan took theirs because they had semi nice places to say. plus they got to watch movies and listen to music off a hard drive. you should bring it just incase. because if you dont and they have internet and what knot you will regret it. and if they dont... you can just hook it up and watch movies and what knot.

0331 2 0369
12-02-09, 08:44 AM
:evilgrin:.....WELL!!!....I wonder how Marines that served in VietNam feel about this thread, especially those Marines who were stuck out in the bush for 30 to 60 days....HHHHMMMMM...:evilgrin:

Different day and different environment Doc. Tactics go from one extreme in the bush to the opposite end of the spectrum when in Iraq and Afghanistan. Sure we still have people outside of the main FOB's working out of smaller ones but even they get some down time. We (Marine Corps) have learned our lessons in the past about moral and how it plays out in the long run. We have came a long way since yesterday.:beer:

DocGreek
12-02-09, 08:57 AM
:evilgrin:....MAYBE....that's the difference between "Old Corps" and "New Corps"......EH??

0331 2 0369
12-02-09, 09:01 AM
You could say that. If we were engaged in a war that was in a jungle environment, we would still try to make sure the Marines had some time, from time to time, to relax and decompress. With that said, we would definitely be out a lot more because of the terrain and surrounding environment. Not much different from Nam just with a different breed. It's all good.

Supersquishy
12-02-09, 09:01 AM
:evilgrin:....MAYBE....that's the difference between "Old Corps" and "New Corps"......EH??

Ohh man here we go again!:scared:

Old Marine
12-02-09, 09:05 AM
Better watch out Doc. These young kids will ***** forever, if somebody raises their voice to them. I wonder what MCO allows them to have a laptop in a combat area.

0331 2 0369
12-02-09, 09:08 AM
Better watch out Doc. These young kids will ***** forever, if somebody raises their voice to them. I wonder what MCO allows them to have a laptop in a combat area.

There is no MCO that says you can or you can't. Simply a luxury that someone can carry along if they desire to. Just like back before modern technology came along, Marines used to carry radios with them. It's just something to have around to try to help you unwind when needed.

DocGreek
12-02-09, 09:25 AM
:evilgrin:....it's okay...I let loose in BIOTCH CORNER...I'm gonna sit here and keep my mouth SHUT, while I enjoy "The Experience"!....:evilgrin:

0331 2 0369
12-02-09, 09:31 AM
Good thing we have the Biotch Corner thread huh Doc? Read your post over there. No biggie. Just have to keep in mind that these are different times and we have actually progressed over the years because we have learned from the past. Different breeds call for different measures.:beer:

Apache
12-02-09, 09:56 AM
Doc---------
You're talkin my laungauge !
What would a BUSH Marine do with a computer ?
Start a blog with Charlie ?

Took me a day to find the "on" button when I finally got saddeled with a computer(late 70's)

hussaf
12-02-09, 12:19 PM
wow,

well getting back on track to answer the thread...

The general rule of thumb is don't take anything on deployment you don't want broken or lost.

That being said, I took my laptop to Iraq...we were in an abandoned building with a generator and we bought internet from locals. I went on combat patrols daily, and 1-3 week long dwell ops semi-frequently.

Just like in the US where you go to the field, when you go on dwell ops in-country you obviously won't be taking unnecessary stuff with you.

BTW, my laptop quit working on me a few months after I got home...not sure if it had anything to do with the deployment. It definitely got sand in it, though, but it was also old (ie, I wouldn't take a brand new, expensive one, on deployment). I would recommend something like getting a PSP. If anything, it will be worth having for the movements, its small and durable (get a little pelican case for it).

I've seen computer labs when i visited the built-up bases, but they were always busy and a rip-off.

And as always, ask guys in your unit what they are doing.

Do you know exactly what and where for you deployment yet?

christ0ph0311
12-04-09, 08:57 PM
yea I took my old one to Iraq last year and that was fine, thats actually the laptop im posting on right now, a year later.

suprised how serious the old timers take this. It's no big deal at all.

MD8724
12-04-09, 09:30 PM
It's nice being Data. Even if I don't take MY laptop on deployment, I will take A laptop on deployment. :)

kenrobg30
12-05-09, 05:40 PM

Is that a fishhook needle, or a square one Doc? :D SF Ken

ecom
12-05-09, 07:00 PM
What's the battery life on your laptop? It may be worth it to get an extended or extra battery depeding on the availability of electricity.