PDA

View Full Version : MOS 1302 colorblind question

engineer guy
12-01-09, 12:57 PM
Hello all,

I've been searching and looking for an answer in regards to MOS positions and if being colorblind disqualifies you. I ask as I am colorblind and haven't been able to get a clear answer from the recruiter I've spoken with.
I'm asking particularly about combat engineering but any list of MOS's that I could or could not fill would be great. A link to the information would be even better.

Thank you Marines,
Micah
'wannabe'

josephd
12-01-09, 01:05 PM
1302 is combat engineer officer, 1371 is combat engineer....

Either one though I believe being colorblind would disqualify you

Lisa 23
12-01-09, 01:08 PM
You do know that a 1302 is a Combat Engineer Officer, don't you?
Marine Corps Officer Job Descriptions
MOS 1302 - - Combat Engineer Officer

MOS/Title: 1302 -- Combat Engineer Officer
Type of Officer (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/officertype.htm) : Unrestricted Line Officer
Type of MOS (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/mosdef.htm) : PMOS
Rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blenlrank.htm) Range: LtCol to 2ndLt
Job Description: Engineer officers command or assist in commanding engineer units consisting of Marines in various MOSs whose duties include repair, maintenance, and operation of engineer heavy equipment; construction, operation, and repair of structures and facilities; clearing and emplacing obstacles such as minefields; construction of bridges; using explosives for construction and demolition projects; using specialized demolitions for urban breaching; storage and distribution of bulk fuel products; installation, operation, and maintenance of utility systems.
Job Requirements:
(1) Complete the Combat Engineer Officer Course, Marine Corps Engineer School, MCB Camp Lejeune, NC.
(2) Non-MOS qualified Reserve officers unable to attend the regular formal school course may be certified for MOS 1302, as an AMOS-only, by the commander upon successful completion of the Alternate Training Instructional Program (ATIP) of the Marine Force Reserves. The ATlP for MOS 1302 Marines is found in Force Order 1535.1 and consists of core tasks to be performed to standard at Reserve MOJT, MCI, and three periods of schoolhouse instruction. The MOS 1302 Engineering Officer candidate is eligible for MOS 1302 after completion of any of the three-periods of schoolhouse instruction, completion of all required Mel courses, and a minimum of six months MOJT while assigned to a 1302 billet. Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.95 (http://www.usmc.mil/news/publications/Pages/MCO%201510.96A%20W%20CH%201.aspx), Individual Training standards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/1302.htm

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
Field 13, ENGINEER, CONSTRUCTION, FACILITIES, AND EQUIPMENT
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/13.htm

engineer guy
12-01-09, 01:17 PM
Yes, I did leave off that I was aware 1302 is an officer position. I would of course have OCS to go through. My degree is in mechanical engineering, hence the username and interest in combat engineering.

WMarine, that is actually the only real information I could find on the position aside from the video on the Marine Corps site of course. Thank you though!

josephd, that's what I'm afraid of. In searching, I found out that the Army won't allow colorblind officers to do combat engineering as well. Fingers are still crossed.

Lisa 23
12-01-09, 01:22 PM
In my opinion, your best bet is to talk to an OCO and the Dr's at MEP's.
Good Luck to you!

echo3oscar1833
12-01-09, 02:32 PM
Yes, I did leave off that I was aware 1302 is an officer position. I would of course have OCS to go through. My degree is in mechanical engineering, hence the username and interest in combat engineering.

WMarine, that is actually the only real information I could find on the position aside from the video on the Marine Corps site of course. Thank you though!

josephd, that's what I'm afraid of. In searching, I found out that the Army won't allow colorblind officers to do combat engineering as well. Fingers are still crossed.

Being color blind in the Marine Corps is a disqualification because you have to be able to able to tell the difference in things on the battlefield. IE Colors, Uniforms, Bad Guys, Good Guys, etc, etc. However don't let that stop you from trying, they have waivers for all kinds of things. Best of luck:marine:

billydakid
12-01-09, 08:29 PM
I dont know if you will be able to get that job but you could become a 0431 embark/logistics clerk and I know this because my ssgt is one.

Phantom Blooper
12-01-09, 09:20 PM
Color vision

Failure to pass a color vision test is not an automatic disqualification. Although there is no standard, color vision will be tested because adequate color vision is a prerequisite for entry into many military specialties.

However the MOS that you want 1302 may require at times for you to deal with with explosive ordinance....not always ....but maybe.

What happens if you were supposed to connect the red wire to the blue and you connected it to the green.....Kaboom?

Good luck!:evilgrin:

New York
12-02-09, 11:45 AM
Don't worry you could still enlist, and have your SRB (Service Record Book) updated/upgraded on your level of colorblindness later on in your career in the Marine Corps. But unfortunately you can't enlist into that Field of MOS, you would probably have to LAT later on in your career. Sometimes you could go into that field, 13xx MOS and be selected for it at MOS school after MCT.

All in all, become a US Marine first, then if you really want to pursue such a MOS, LAT move or do something similar to it. From what I gather you already have a degree mechanical engineering, so therefore you must obviously see colors.

GSEMarine94
12-02-09, 01:39 PM
A couple of questions for you so as to straighten out any confusion,
1-Do you want to enlist or become an officer?
2-Is becoming a combat engineer your only choice?
3-What is the degree of your color blindness? Can you pass the vivid red/green test?
I am a combat engineering officer in the Army and I can tell you it is a no-go.

rsox353
12-09-09, 05:35 AM
Hey I am Red-Green colorblind, I wanted to be a Tanker, but I couldn't. Anyways I am now a Topographic Analyst (0261) which if anyone looks up, you can not be color blind. So people slip through the cracks. Although nothing is more embarrissing then having to say "Hey LCpl, what color is that?" hahaha

Phantom Blooper
12-09-09, 08:03 AM
Anyways I am now a Topographic Analyst (0261)

Do you have somebody go behind you and check your maps before print?

There was allot of messed up maps back in the 70's of CLNC.....so there maybe more in your MOS that slipped through the cracks.

The Marine Corps is not without fault....some do slip through the cracks and some make it unnoticed....if you can do your job and do it properlly....then you are good to go.

However making a map and knowing the right wires to blow shiat up is worlds apart.:evilgrin:

Vandrel
12-09-09, 09:36 AM

So that's why my maps were always dicked up!!!

engineer guy
01-07-10, 01:30 AM
A couple of questions for you so as to straighten out any confusion,
1-Do you want to enlist or become an officer?
2-Is becoming a combat engineer your only choice?
3-What is the degree of your color blindness? Can you pass the vivid red/green test?
I am a combat engineering officer in the Army and I can tell you it is a no-go.

1-I want to become an officer
2-It would not be my only choice but is a preference
3-I'm not a bad case of red/green colorblind. On 6 circle red/green tests, I can usually read at least 3 of them...

Sorry for bringing this back from the grave.

MLMonk
01-07-10, 06:23 AM
It's not really "back from the grave" as some other threads have been brought up. This really isn't related to the topic, but I can give you some reassurance to being that things can happen. I failed depth perception at MEPS with flying colors, yet they put me in as Motor T, which depth perception is a non-waiverable requirement, anything can happen. I would also try asking around on MarineOCS.com to see if any officer has experiance with that field you are trying to get into.

Komenko
01-07-10, 07:49 PM

There was allot of messed up maps back in the 70's of CLNC.....so there maybe more in your MOS that slipped through the cracks.

The Marine Corps is not without fault....some do slip through the cracks and some make it unnoticed....if you can do your job and do it properlly....then you are good to go.

However making a map and knowing the right wires to blow shiat up is worlds apart.:evilgrin:

lol I was a Combat Engineer for 10 years and I can tell you that I've never use red/blue/green wires to blow anything up. All electrical blasting cap wires are brown! Det cord and Time fuse come in a geen cord and you will use an M80 fuse igniter to "Pop Smoke" on the time fuse with a non-electrical blasting cap connected to the time fuse and taped around the det cord! thats how you make things go boom! now they have some new stuff called Shock tube. that is some pretty cool sh!t. Now I do know EOD Techs play with the red/blue/green wires when disarming IEDs and other home made explosives!

Capt Kays
01-08-10, 08:29 AM
Micah:

According to Marine Corps Order 1200.17A, which is the manual that gives the description of each military occupational specialty (MOS) and the requirements for that MOS, there are no prerequisites for combat engineer officer such as accurate color vision. However, as a colorblind person, you will not be able to serve in certain MOS's such as air traffic controller (which does have a color vision prerequisite listed). Just so you know, each ground officer MOS is awarded at The Basic School based on your performance and the needs of the Marine Corps. Therefore, the OSO won't be able to guarantee you combat engineering. Each student at The Basic School makes their list of MOS preferences and then based on their aptitude and the available boat spaces they are assigned to their MOS (about two-thirds of the way through). You can also influence this choice by making sure that the Captain who supervises your Platoon, the SPC, knows that you have a degree in engineering. However, if you want to be a Marine Officer, that has to be more important to you than a particular MOS. If you do want to be a Marine Officer, I recommend going to marineofficer.com and filling out the Request More Information form; this will ensure that the OSO in your area gets in touch with you.

Best of luck,
Capt A. Kays

engineer guy
02-26-10, 01:51 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback. Had my 'interview' with the OSO in Ashland, VA yesterday. He is actually a combat engineer himself, so I got all the answers I could want. All went well and now I have my check list of paperwork to get through. I have to rush if I want to have a chance of getting into the October class. Also then took the afternoon to head up to Quantico and see the museum, as I've driven past it dozens of times.
P.S. Quantico still has snow on the ground.

Komenko
02-26-10, 08:51 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback. Had my 'interview' with the OSO in Ashland, VA yesterday. He is actually a combat engineer himself, so I got all the answers I could want. All went well and now I have my check list of paperwork to get through. I have to rush if I want to have a chance of getting into the October class. Also then took the afternoon to head up to Quantico and see the museum, as I've driven past it dozens of times.
P.S. Quantico still has snow on the ground.

Awsome, my Wife will be in Quantico in April for some training. Wish i could go cause i really want to see the Marine Corps Museum!

engineer guy
03-17-10, 05:13 PM
Its worth the hike. If you're ever doing a DC weekend, its a short hike south on 95 to get there.

c4usmarine
12-06-10, 09:29 PM
Well I spent 7 years in the Corps as a 1371.. got out as i got selected for e6.. did three tours in iraq.. doing mainly route clearance in fallujah and ramadi.. lead vic vc and found well over 100 ieds... and guess what... im red green color blind... and i never got blown up.. i think it may have helped me see them better.

engineer guy
12-06-10, 09:53 PM
yeah, we colorblind guys see shades and shapes better than standard color vision eyes. Cue WW2 and being colorblind meant you were in the front spotting snipers.

Thank you for your input to the discussion and your service!