PDA

View Full Version : Alright, let me ge something straight with the pullups..

Andrew09
11-30-09, 11:31 PM
I always assumed a "dead hang pullup" on the PFT meant your arms coming completely straight almost to the point in which your muscles have to relax to really get to the "dead hang" point. Now, when I watch my DEP buddies and other Marines (youtube, etc) do their "dead hang pullups" their arms are sometimes only breaking the 90 degree plane enough to say you came down. I just want to get things straight before I ship, because there is a huge difference (in my case at least) as to how many I can do depending on how I do them. If I do them like the majority seems to be doing them, then I can do 20+. However, when I *literally* do a "dead hang" pullup, I can only do 10-15 depending on how warmed up I am. Nobody seems to be doing "dead hangs" though.

Forgive my over-complication of something that should be simple, but I just want to make sure I get it right now before I waste my SGT's and possibly my platoons time later on down the road...

All advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

dizark
11-30-09, 11:37 PM
You'll find out that they won't count, until your arms are completely locked out. As a poolee, they don't really care as much but in boot and the Marine Corps in general, they have to be pure dead hangs.

Fubar5812
11-30-09, 11:53 PM
it depends on the NCO watching you honestly. I've done PFT's and gotten away with a slight bend and others they count like every 3 pullups because my arms weren't "locked out fully". do them FAST and concentrate less on your arms locked out and more on your breathing and technique.

Andrew09
12-01-09, 05:45 AM
You'll find out that they won't count, until your arms are completely locked out. As a poolee, they don't really care as much but in boot and the Marine Corps in general, they have to be pure dead hangs.

That makes sense. Thanks.

it depends on the NCO watching you honestly. I've done PFT's and gotten away with a slight bend and others they count like every 3 pullups because my arms weren't "locked out fully". do them FAST and concentrate less on your arms locked out and more on your breathing and technique.

I've heard the same thing as far as the NCO watching you goes.

I've also seems that a good repetition of pullups involves a lot of muscle memory and persistence. Going as long and hard as you can until you can't keep the pace anymore; at least for me, stopping or slowing down really messes me up.

Thanks for the input! Appreciated. :thumbup:

NoRemorse
12-01-09, 07:27 AM
Do 'em fast and lock 'em out. Putting stress on your joints while you're weightbearing will either break you off or cause your joints to get stronger. Bones need to get worked out too.

Supersquishy
12-01-09, 09:33 AM
Do 'em fast and lock 'em out. Putting stress on your joints while you're weightbearing will either break you off or cause your joints to get stronger. Bones need to get worked out too.

actually if i do them full lock out but fast I can use my momentum to "bounce" me back up to the next pullup and I can easily get 20, but if I rest a half second thats where Im working hard to get the 20. Sounds like it hurts but I feel no pain...lol

Remember when they used to allow "kipping"? I wonder if officers are still allowed to kip:sick:

NoRemorse
12-01-09, 09:56 AM
actually if i do them full lock out but fast I can use my momentum to "bounce" me back up to the next pullup and I can easily get 20, but if I rest a half second thats where Im working hard to get the 20. Sounds like it hurts but I feel no pain...lol

Remember when they used to allow "kipping"? I wonder if officers are still allowed to kip:sick:

That momentum loads the muscles, like compressing a spring. It's not cheating :marine:

For the PFT I want them done fast. In regular training I'll change the way I do them but on the taper to the PFT itself I'll be doing them the way I have to for the PFT.

zx6rdr
12-01-09, 10:01 AM

I used to do that as well. However, I did one PFT that all of them were counted (20) and then the next PFT I did them the same and failed because they only counted 4, they said I was kipping... DOH!!!!!!

NoRemorse
12-01-09, 10:05 AM
I used to do that as well. However, I did one PFT that all of them were counted (20) and then the next PFT I did them the same and failed because they only counted 4, they said I was kipping... DOH!!!!!!

Had one who would mount the bar, commence the pull, terminate early, and kick his head back right quick to get his chin over the bar.

For some odd reason they counted.

Supersquishy
12-01-09, 10:36 AM

you probably had excessive body swing..lol if you do them right fast you basically fall straight downward and kinda bounce straight upward.

Another reason doing them fast is to let your body free fall on the down part that way your not using your muscles to slow you down and burn energy. Just like crunches, only use your enery going up but let your body use gravity to help you down with no muscle energy being wasted. Hope that makes sense to the OP.

polizei
12-01-09, 10:02 PM
We had one guy that did some weird pull ups. He didn't move his legs at all, so technically, he wasn't kipping. They counted his pull ups in boot camp, but at MP school one of the instructors wouldn't count them. The whole platoon called BS. He literally swung his chest back and forth, but they were dead-hang pull ups! His legs didn't move, just his chest.

Simply put: depends on who is watching you, but try to do them fast, and try to "bounce" back up by just letting your weight drop.

hussaf
12-01-09, 11:23 PM
When looking this stuff up on Youtube, you have to be careful you aren't watching Marines doing CrossFit workouts. These workouts have gained a lot of popularity over the last few years and one of the exercises are "kipping" pull-ups where the point is more of an aerobic workout as much as anaerobic...so you'll see guys doing like 90 of them. They shouldn't count on PFT. Practice them the right way, and if you happen to get someone who won't make you lock out completely, then great...if not, you'll be used to practicing it the doctrinal way.