PDA

View Full Version : Distance Waiver and MOS selections for USMCR

alphasquirrel
11-30-09, 10:47 PM
I live in a state with horrible selection as far as drilling stations are concerned. Because I'm a female I can't drill at the closest Drilling Station due to the fact that it is an infantry unit.

The next two stations have some interesting MOSs available. However, there is a third drilling station in the next state over with an Air Station and a great selection of MOSs. It is twelve miles further than the other two drilling stations.

My recruiter tells me I need a distance waiver to go even to the next two stations (both outside of my state). When I asked him if I could get a waiver for the third he was very ambiguous.

Most of the MOSs I've been interested in are up at that third drilling station and upon taken the sample my recruiter assured me I won't have a problem getting any MOS I should want. However, I have not taken the actual test. I'm also determined that if I'm going to be traveling to drilling it might as well be to a job that I want. I really want to hold out for the third (and most distant) drilling station.

My recruiter called two weeks ago and wanted me to go to MEPS and be sworn into the DEP by the first of December however I was out of town on a family emergency and couldn't make it.

I tried getting a straight answer from him as far as whether I could get that third drilling station and again he couldn't seem to give me a clear answer. When I asked him to at least get me a list of MOSs from all three drilling stations he said he would but hasn't gotten back to me yet (despite my calling him three times).

After taking the ASVAB at MEPS is when we would be going to work on my MOS package and I'm a bit hazy as to the process and my options. If I have the scores and the willingness to travel to my desired MOS is there any reason I wouldn't be able to get it? Is there a way I can be assured of my desired drilling station before I even go to MEPS? How can I get a clear answer out of my recruiter? I don't want to get stuck in an MOS I'm not crazy about only to find out there was an option to get the one I wanted. Also, if I do go active it would be nice to already have the MOS of my original desire even though I'm aware I could possibly do a lat move.

And to answer those who will ask why I'm not just going straight into active duty so that I can get the MOS I want without all of the work-around... it's because I'm married to a man with a great job and have a small child. My husband and I have agreed that I will do the reserves until our child is in older and until my husband can get a few more years in this job. If, after all that, I want to go active he has agreed to leave his job to follow me to active duty. It's a compromise we have made and that I'm happy to honor.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

alphasquirrel
12-01-09, 09:22 PM
I must be cursed or something. I have done so many internet searches and talked to so many Marines and no one can help me.

Can someone at least tell me who, besides my recruiter and his immediate boss that I can talk to to get some answers?

FattyTheFerret
12-01-09, 10:35 PM
I don't know if this will help but I enlisted out of Orange County and was initially assigned a unit in Miramar despite the fact that I live in Chicago. I went to a recruiting station in the area and was staying with a friend at the time. I was able to use a Los Angeles address and they based my status off of that instead of my mailing address. In boot camp I changed my home of record to the correct one.

There was no dishonesty in the matter; at the time I was planning on moving to San Diego and the entire situation was known to all parties (recruiter, recruiters SNCO, the RS Orange CO, just about everyone at MEPS and later the admins at MCRD. I cannot honestly tell you if this is or isn't the right way to go but maybe it'll help. To the best of my knowledge everything was done within regs.

hussaf
12-01-09, 11:05 PM
Women can be in infantry units, just not infantry MOS, especially if its H&S Co. For example, I know female Marines at 2/24 H&S in FattyTheFerret's hometown.

alphasquirrel
12-02-09, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that would work for me. I have no address or even friend close to that drilling station whereat to claim a residency. I also have no intentions of moving up there.

And while I know that females can be in infantry units in non-infantry MOSs the drilling station closest to me has only infantry MOSs available so it is closed to me.

Marine84
12-02-09, 08:04 AM
Then it looks as if you're SOL.

Quinbo
12-02-09, 08:14 AM
Drilling outside of your zip code is something that normally reserve officers do to rack up retirement points for drill. You could drill in buffalo New York if you so chose but travel and other other expenses would be yours to deal with. If the reserve center you are seeking to drill with is outside of your travel boundry I recommend that you go down there on a drill weekend and talk to anyone that will listen.

There is also the other thing that doesn't seem well thought out. You will have to go through 6 months or more of initial training away from home before the 1 weekend a month deal kicks in and you are still subject to unit activation and deployment or even individual activation and deployment at any time. It is something to think about and discuss with your significant other.

alphasquirrel
12-02-09, 08:45 AM
Drilling outside of your zip code is something that normally reserve officers do to rack up retirement points for drill. You could drill in buffalo New York if you so chose but travel and other other expenses would be yours to deal with. If the reserve center you are seeking to drill with is outside of your travel boundry I recommend that you go down there on a drill weekend and talk to anyone that will listen.
This is something I will consider doing.

There is also the other thing that doesn't seem well thought out. You will have to go through 6 months or more of initial training away from home before the 1 weekend a month deal kicks in and you are still subject to unit activation and deployment or even individual activation and deployment at any time. It is something to think about and discuss with your significant other.
I am very aware of both of these facts.

I am not naive to the process. My husband is a prior service Marine and we've been through all of this several times.

I know that I am looking at a significant amount of time in training and that there is always the possibility, if not probability of deploying. We have dealt with his being deployed and have accepted the likelihood of my deploying. It comes with the military package.

I am not looking into the Reserves as a means to avoid duty, time away from family or deployments. It is merely the best option for my family at this time. I have no illusions as to the requirements and duties of reservists vs active duty Marines.

And, no. I don't believe I am SOL. I am a strong believer that if there is a will there is a way. If I can't get clear answers from my recruiter or his boss I'll go to the First Sergeant or Sergeant Major of the District. I was hoping I could get some answers or guidance from other Marines, however. I'm sure I'm not the only person, ever, to have encountered this issue.

GSEMarine94
12-02-09, 09:56 AM
Do as Bulkyer suggested, go to the drill hall you want to drill with and talk to them. Treat it like a job interview, dress appropriately.
When I left AD I was invited to drill with a unit in another state. I did not accept their offer but I do know that it is possible.

Quinbo
12-02-09, 10:05 AM
Oh please please please will you come join our Marine Corps. We need you so bad that we will go out of our way to get you the job and location of your desire. Here's a flower. Do you like chocolates? We'll put a life time supply of chocolates in your contract. Won't you please consider joining the Marines? We will even get you a hotel room and pay your travel expenses to come join up with us. Come on please please pretty please will you join up with the Marines? We really really need you.

alphasquirrel
12-02-09, 11:47 AM
Do as Bulkyer suggested, go to the drill hall you want to drill with and talk to them. Treat it like a job interview, dress appropriately.
When I left AD I was invited to drill with a unit in another state. I did not accept their offer but I do know that it is possible.
This is also what happened with my husband. He went and looked at a couple Drill units before he made his decision so I also know it's possible. I know that there is also in difference in that he already had five years experience (including combat) in a darned good MOS that helped sweeten the deal and make him more of a commodity.

Oh please please please will you come join our Marine Corps. We need you so bad that we will go out of our way to get you the job and location of your desire. Here's a flower. Do you like chocolates? We'll put a life time supply of chocolates in your contract. Won't you please consider joining the Marines? We will even get you a hotel room and pay your travel expenses to come join up with us. Come on please please pretty please will you join up with the Marines? We really really need you.

Darned skippy! It's about time someone saw me for my true potential. ;)

For the record, I'm not asking for anything unusual, strange, or outlandish. I'm asking for answers. That's it. Isn't that what recruiters are supposed to give you? I ask him if he can get me a drill station that is twelve miles farther than the two drill stations (both outside of my state) that he has said I could get and he can't tell me boo. Neither can his boss. They both stutter and stammer, promise answers, give me the run around and a month later they want me to ship to Boot Camp in 30 days without knowing what my options are, if any.

I'm not asking for roses, chocolates, hotel rooms, fancy meals, travel expenses or more money. I'm not even asking for a guarantee. I'm asking for "yes, it's possible," or "no, you can't do it."

I know it's possible to drill outside of your zip code, I'll have to do that anyway. Neither drilling station I'm eligible for is in my state. All I want to know is whether I can get a third station and if not, why not if it's only twelve miles farther than the other two.

Everyone cautions about being careful to get as much information as possible so you don't end up making a four-year mistake (or six-year, depending on the MOS), to not sign anything until you understand everything. I'm doing that. That's it. Audacious of me, I know!

All I want is an answer and if I can't get it from my recruiter than who?

Marine84
12-02-09, 11:56 AM

Thank you - I think I love you!

FattyTheFerret
12-02-09, 12:18 PM
This is also what happened with my husband. He went and looked at a couple Drill units before he made his decision so I also know it's possible. I know that there is also in difference in that he already had five years experience (including combat) in a darned good MOS that helped sweeten the deal and make him more of a commodity.

Darned skippy! It's about time someone saw me for my true potential. ;)

For the record, I'm not asking for anything unusual, strange, or outlandish. I'm asking for answers. That's it. Isn't that what recruiters are supposed to give you? I ask him if he can get me a drill station that is twelve miles farther than the two drill stations (both outside of my state) that he has said I could get and he can't tell me boo. Neither can his boss. They both stutter and stammer, promise answers, give me the run around and a month later they want me to ship to Boot Camp in 30 days without knowing what my options are, if any.

I'm not asking for roses, chocolates, hotel rooms, fancy meals, travel expenses or more money. I'm not even asking for a guarantee. I'm asking for "yes, it's possible," or "no, you can't do it."

I know it's possible to drill outside of your zip code, I'll have to do that anyway. Neither drilling station I'm eligible for is in my state. All I want to know is whether I can get a third station and if not, why not if it's only twelve miles farther than the other two.

Everyone cautions about being careful to get as much information as possible so you don't end up making a four-year mistake (or six-year, depending on the MOS), to not sign anything until you understand everything. I'm doing that. That's it. Audacious of me, I know!

All I want is an answer and if I can't get it from my recruiter than who?
You're not doing anything wrong. It's good to examine all your options before making a decision.

Mind if I ask what duty stations you're referring to and what MOS you're interested in?

If you can't talk to your recruiter, try talking to a recruiter close to the drill station you're interested in. He or she might have better answers.

alphasquirrel
12-02-09, 12:56 PM
You're not doing anything wrong. It's good to examine all your options before making a decision.

Mind if I ask what duty stations you're referring to and what MOS you're interested in?

If you can't talk to your recruiter, try talking to a recruiter close to the drill station you're interested in. He or she might have better answers.

These two stations I was told I could have no problem:
General Support Maintenance Company, 4th Maintenance Battalion, 4th MLG, Rock Island, IL

Engineer Maintenance Company, 4th Maintenance Battalion, 4th MLG, Omaha, NE

The third is the Marine Wing Support Squadron 471, Marine Wing Support Group 47, 4th MAW, Minneapolis, MN

I'm not entirely sure about what MOS I want. I want to look over the list of MOSs my recruiter promised to get me and do more research on them to make an educated choice. Without knowing the exact MOSs available I do know that the Air Wing will have more technical MOSs. My husband was in an Air Wing and they had some very interesting jobs available.

Once I actually get the list of MOSs available from all three stations I might have a better idea of what, exactly, I am going for. Who knows, I might actually be thrilled with an MOS at one of the other two stations.

I've asked my recruiter to supply me with a list of MOSs available for all three drilling stations and he promised to deliver. That was a couple of weeks ago. I know recruiters are busy people and we had a holiday in there so I'm being patient, but in the mean time he is calling me about going to MEPS, getting sworn in and shipping and I don't want to do that until I have more information.

My husband recommended calling each station and asking them for the list individually and if I can't get it from my recruiter I'll do that.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-03-09, 03:05 AM
You should be able to do that. Doing prior research is the way to go. If you are really, no bs about it, it's the smart way to go. As a reservist you can, to a small degree, control your destiny.

Pay a visit to those stations that interest you. I'd advise calling ahead and talking with someone first, and simply ask who and what they are looking for (MOS's, deployments, etc).

If you were considering active duty, I'd be giving different advice, but as a reservist, this isn't a bad idea.