PDA

View Full Version : signing up in 4 months have a few questions

Tinch81
11-30-09, 09:14 PM
Hello, my name is Luke, I am a 17 year old senior in high school, and I graduate May 27th I am going to sign up a few months before I graduate so i can hopefully go to boot camp right after graduation, but I have a few questions if anyone could help answer, that would be great. First of all I would like to try and go for 1812 M1A1 crewman or 1833 AAV Crewman. Now my main question is around 6 years ago one of my buddies shot me in the neck with a 10 pump BB gun, and i never removed the BB so i have a copper coated steel BB just under the skin on my neck, it does not hurt at all, and I don't even notice it unless i touch it, when i swallow you can see it a little bit on the left side of my neck, it is causing me no physical discomfort and would not get in the way of performing my duty as a United States Marine, do you guys think this will be a problem? would i not be able to join the Marines because of this? (I haven't talked to my recruiter yet, I am going to go ina few months when I am ready to sign up.)

any help would be appreciated thank you.

egbutler1
11-30-09, 09:24 PM
If it causes you no problems, and you didn't go to the doctor for it I wouldn't even bring it up at MEPS.

dizark
11-30-09, 09:43 PM
From what I'm hearing, you'll want to talk to your recruiter sooner than later because if you're expecting to ship after graduation, it may be longer than you expect.

Good luck to you!

echo3oscar1833
11-30-09, 10:20 PM
First of all get the BB removed from your neck, the older you get the potential is there for it to work its way farther into your body. If that happens you could be for some serious problems. Especially considering its in your neck. Some friends you got, seriously. Moving on to my Second point, which still involves the BB, with all of the rigors of boot camp, and sounding off all the time. Again the BB can potentially cause serious problems. If I was a recruiter I wouldn't sign you until you have it removed, end of story. As far as 1833 AAV's that was my MOS, it a long hour job. When your not out in the field, or off the coast doing OP's, you'll be down at what we call the Ramp performing preventive maintenance on the AAV's. It can be a rewarding job, but as you will hear about any MOS's its what you make of it. Semper :marine:

Tinch81
12-01-09, 12:14 PM
Alright thanks for the help, Im going to go talk to the recruiter in a few months and see what he says to do.

jinelson
12-01-09, 12:50 PM
Luke the mere fact that you aspire to become a Marine speaks volumes to me about your character. The fact that you already are sweating about the BB and your words in your profile show me pre-commitment to your goal. Your question however can only be answered by a recruiter and the Docs at MEPs. My advice to you would be to discuss with your parents and see a recruiter now. Just enlisting is highly competitive and slots are already being filled.

Jim

Tinch81
12-01-09, 06:16 PM
Alright thank you Marines, I am going go talk to a recruiter in 2-3 months and I will then tell him about the BB, and see what he tells me to do.

Thank You for your help, and Thank You for your service to this country.

SGT7477
12-01-09, 06:37 PM
Your welcome,OOHRAH.