PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good combat knife

Boost
11-28-09, 05:56 PM
Semper Fi, My son is currently in Afghanistan and i wanted to send him a good folding knife. I've seen a lot of ads but I would rather pick from some based on experience. Thanks,

polizei
11-28-09, 06:16 PM
Kershaw makes fantastic knives. Check them out, I think they manufacture ZT (Zero Tolerance) knives as well...other than that, I've heard good things from Benchmade, Ka-Bar, and Surefire. I use/carry a auto S&W everyday, but I wouldn't recommend that for in-country.

www.surefire.com
www.kershawknives.com

StoneTheWeak
11-28-09, 07:22 PM
Smith and wesson makes some good ones, so does SOG.

tangovictor87
11-28-09, 08:26 PM
I had a S&W SWAT knife and a leatherman blast muilti-tool.

Kershaw and Gerber are very well made, Benchmade is the best but cost the most.

egbutler1
11-28-09, 08:36 PM
I always had a leatherman on me. Next to my rifle that was the best tool I ever had. Used that thing for everything from opening MRE's to fixing my humvee great tool! I would suggest that.

jrhd97
11-28-09, 10:26 PM
Check out Emerson. You absolutely get what you pay for.

http://www.emersonknives.com/

jrhd97
11-28-09, 10:39 PM
Forgot the Ka-Bar Mule.
https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=3064&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7,8,9&categoryName=Military/Tactical

boomer56328
11-29-09, 04:30 AM
SOG knives are about the best one for the price. Benchmade is nice, but you will need to take a second morgage on your home to afford one.

alphasquirrel
11-29-09, 11:28 AM
The best combat/fighting knives are fixed blades but if it must be a folder there are a lot of options.

Cold Steel makes some FABULOUS knives.

The Voyager series (http://www.coldsteel.com/voyagerseries.html) is one GREAT folding/fighting knife series. The EX. LG. CLIP POINT VOYAGER is a nice choice.

Looks like this:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/csstoreonline_2082_6333881

You could also look at the Large or Extra Large Tanto tips.

They look like this:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/csstoreonline_2082_6228519

There is also the SOG Speck Elite II (http://sogknives.com/store/SE18.html) and the Pentagon Elite II (http://sogknives.com/store/PE18.html)

My husband carried the Columbia River Hissatsu Folder (http://www.crkt.com/HissatsuFolder) while he was in country.

http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/h/l/87/CR2903_xlarge_9515_full_87.jpg

For a fighting knife you want a straight edge. Serrated edges have a tendency to skip over skin and clothing and they can be a bit harder to stab with but straight edges cut smooth and the longer and smoother the cut the more it will bleed (think razor cuts). They also stab smooth. You also get more blood loss and damage and that is a good thing if you are fighting with a blade.

Any of the knives shown above come in a straight edge or combination option, you just have to select it.

If you feel you must have a serrated edge go with half serrated/half smooth so you can still get that ease of cut, slash and stab.

Full serrated blades tend to get very beat up and some of the teeth can get knocked off if doing serious hacking and cutting. They look wicked but as far as practicality and fighting edges are concerned they aren't the greatest.

My husband and I are both huge gun and knife people. While he was deployed he was called "the knife guy," he was passing out knives to anyone in his unit who did not have them. We've both trained for knife fighting and still do. It's one of our many passions.

Osotogary
11-29-09, 12:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-One-Hand-Trekker-Lockblade-Pocket/dp/B000687B44

I chose this knife for my son, when he was deployed, because it had a multi-functional with locking tools and a blade, serrated, that could be opened with a slight movement of the thumb. It was pretty quite as well.
The other suggestions were real good. It all comes down to what the knife's purpose will be.

Boost
11-29-09, 03:00 PM
Well I've looked at some of the Leatherman Tools. and I was thinking maybe the Black Oxide Surge for a multitool, and then possibly still a folder for more or less an emergency type deal versus an actual fixed fighting knife. I appreciate all the input. Any comments on Columbia Rivers M16 series or maybe the SOG Flash II?

Zulu 36
11-29-09, 03:24 PM
I've had a Leatherman tool for ages and it was the best investment I ever made. I used it a lot in Desert Storm.

Integrity57
11-29-09, 04:28 PM
A friend gave me a S&W SWAT knife a couple years back. It's a rugged knife, good for everyday use but it's a bit larger then your normal folding type but if you're in a jam and can't get the blade out you can always throw at an attacker and it'll probably knock 'em out lol.

jrhd97
11-29-09, 04:28 PM
While working gun shows, selling knives, I heard a lot of complaints about CRKT ( Columbia Rivers ). Most were due to rust.
The SOG was OK.
Victorianox and Wegner are great multi tools.
The Ka-Bar Mule, not the compact version, the full size is tuff as they come and comes with a very versatile sheath. It is a folder.
The Emerson, while pricey is an excellent knife. Google reviews on Emerson Knives.

egbutler1
11-29-09, 05:26 PM
Any comments on Columbia Rivers M16 series or maybe the SOG Flash II?

I would avoid the Columbia i remember it just rusting and be a general crappy knife. I still would say leatherman.

Garyius
11-29-09, 06:29 PM
Back in the old days when I was a Marine I got one of the second generation of the leatherman and used it for 90% of my knife needs and was very happy. The other 10% I ended up using a Cold Steel SRK (which I still have). A friend got back from the army two years ago with several of the army leatherman that he was issued under the RFI, those are very nice knife/tools for a lot of tasks.

Assuming that he had been issued one of those tools, what does he want a folder for? Command issues with a fixed blade knife on his gear? Prying and chopping tasks? Cutting ropes?

I think the answers here will be different depending on what he needs it for.

SlingerDun
11-29-09, 09:08 PM
I've looked at some of the Leatherman Tools..Those without folded or beveled edges dig into your hands...

Here's my basic model purchased in the late 80's, the steel is stainless and tough but the reins are not comfortable. Thought about taping it but then it won't fold up proper....

hussaf
11-29-09, 09:42 PM
I love my Kershaw. There are little features in knives that are important for individual's tastes. For example, I really prefer having Tungsten DLC grips on my knives with manual assist opening (called Speed Safe on Kershaw knives...think of it as spring-loaded, although I don't think that's how it works). Manual assist openings would be in contrast to one that would open by flicking your wrist and letting the weight of the knife swing itself open. I also prefer a tanto-style edge. I don't know if this is a surprise gift, but if you are involved in dialogue with your son about this purchase, these are the kinds of details you may want to consider. Also, a clip is essential for me.

I've never had a problem with CRKT, but that's just me.

Good luck, I'm sure whatever you choose will be greatly appreciated! I use my clip-on, folding pocket knife daily while deployed.

benw2200
11-30-09, 10:12 AM
I found this knife when I moved into my can in Iraq..

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-06-Automatic-Knife--1472

I love it so far.. very durable, sharp as hell, and it's an automatic. And of course, it was free! Can't beat that.

As for everday use, I have this SOG multi-tool

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Knives-B69-N-Powerlock-Multi-Tool/dp/B0019U8XKY

For everyday use I'd recommend the multi-tool.. when we were in the field I used it at least 2-3 times a day for something or another..

rugershooter16
11-30-09, 12:51 PM
I have a lot of experiance with knives so I will chime in. I think the best knife you could buy would be a Zero Tolerance series 0200 or 0300. If money is not a problem look at Strider SMF series. Both brands are great and they both have a no questions asked warranty if they break. if it breaks they will fix/ replace it free.

You could also look at Spyderco and Benchmade. I would not consider any autos, but that is me. They are never as reliable as a normal folder. I have had severay break on me. As many people will tell you, you get what you pay for in knives. Higher priced knives will get you higher grade materials and better waranty if it breaks. Smith and wesson makes alright entry level knives, but they are not the best out there. I know if i were deploying I would take a Strider or Zero Tolerance with me. I have both so I know!

Good luck!

Lisa 23
11-30-09, 12:54 PM
rugershooter16...you are posting in the wrong part of the forum. Open Squad Bay is for Marines Only. Read the headings over each forum.

FistFu68
11-30-09, 12:55 PM
:evilgrin: Extreme Ratio Knives or www.topsknives.com (http://www.topsknives.com) Or Chris Reeve Knifes :thumbup: :iwo:

Boost
11-30-09, 03:34 PM
Well I like the SOG Flash 2 , and the Ka Bar Mule, But the Mule is made in Taiwan. Is the 1/2 serrated a plus or more of a negative for all around general field use. He is a Rigger, although thats not the only thing he is doing now. I want this/these to be a surprise Christmas gift. And again all the input has been very helpful and is greatly appreciated.

jrhd97
12-01-09, 05:09 PM
It can be a plus. If the straight edge gets dull, you can still cut with the serrated.

As far as being made in Taiwan, many U.S companies are manufacturing there knives over there for expense. They are engineering them here, and they are being manufactured to the demands of the company.
Some U.S companies have the components made in Taiwan, or China, but have the knife assembled or partially assembled here just so they can stamp " Made in the U.S.A ". Check on where the SOG is made, not assembled.

Zulu 36
12-01-09, 05:19 PM
It can be a plus. If the straight edge gets dull, you can still cut with the serrated.

As far as being made in Taiwan, many U.S companies are manufacturing there knives over there for expense. They are engineering them here, and they are being manufactured to the demands of the company.
Some U.S companies have the components made in Taiwan, or China, but have the knife assembled or partially assembled here just so they can stamp " Made in the U.S.A ". Check on where the SOG is made, not assembled.

From experience, serrated blades do not cut parachute cord as neatly as a straight edge.

jrhd97
12-01-09, 05:46 PM
From experience, serrated blades do not cut parachute cord as neatly as a straight edge.

Your right. A serrated doesn't cut anything as neat as a straight edge.

Supersquishy
12-01-09, 06:11 PM
I love my leatherman, has a straight blade on one side and a serated blade on the other, its not too big, forgot what model it is but I got it from my dad when I was AD in 2000 for a christmas gift, I still wear it on my belt everyday, and use it just as much. even have other people ask to borrow it for a second to undo a latch on their bird or something. Too bad I couldnt use it on the flightline in the Marines, they should issue one for every plane captain IMO.

MontezumaCpl
12-01-09, 06:21 PM
Lots of good items mentioned here. I use a Leatherman and Folding S/W knife for my usual carry around camping/daily use tools. I keep a Ka-Bar nearby for a bit heavier duty use. I find the utility of the Leatherman to be very versatile and light to carry around. :marine:

Boost
12-01-09, 06:52 PM
Too bad I couldnt use it on the flightline in the Marines, they should issue one for every plane captain IMO.
I always carried my Camillus on the flight line for everyday tasks on Helos, stripping wires, opening camlocks etc. Still carry and use it to this day. I also carry a Gerber Flik, my younger son bought me. Its a nice multitool but I think the pliers is a little for any serious work.

Boost
12-01-09, 07:11 PM
How is the mule on one handed opening, I read the SOG has an assist.

jrhd97
12-01-09, 07:24 PM
Pretty good. It's a little tight at first. A little oil and use and it loosens up. The thumb makes it pretty easy even when new.

FistFu68
12-01-09, 09:15 PM
:evilgrin: Good point no pun intended,if a Rigger has too cut through thick nylon serrated w/be an atteded EDGE!!!:evilgrin::iwo:

Quinbo
12-02-09, 02:52 AM
If you have deep pockets this looks like a pretty nice folding knife.
http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/socfk-1.aspx

jrhd97
12-02-09, 10:32 AM
If you have deep pockets this looks like a pretty nice folding knife.
http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/socfk-1.aspx

Made by Emerson, my all time favorite knife....and it's on SALE! Not a bad price. Might have to go in my collection.

Button
12-02-09, 02:13 PM
KaBar made in Olean, New York. The only knife

jrhd97
12-02-09, 02:42 PM
KaBar made in Olean, New York. The only knife
Sadly many Ka-Bars are now made overseas, like Buck, Gerber, Kershaw and many, many others.
Buck will put a little American flag next to the knives, made here, on there website so you know if your buying American made or not.

SlingerDun
12-02-09, 08:29 PM
If it's a matter of buying American then i understand. I don't know where Japan gets most of it's raw materials but their finished D and S-tool steel is impressive, some of the best product to be had anywhere.

--->Dave

SlingerDun
12-02-09, 08:36 PM
I file the serrated portion of a blade, flat on one side and beveled on the other. And sharpen as often as it's used. After a couple dozen wettings the serrations are usually nothing more than uneven micro ridges.

--->Dave

sparkie
12-02-09, 08:39 PM
I'm hangin onto my damaskus K-bar. 7 layer.

SlingerDun
12-02-09, 08:42 PM
Spark is that the weapon what dissected the Christmas Goose cadaver:scared:

sparkie
12-02-09, 09:09 PM
Damm straight,,,,, But it was a ham. Christmas 2006.

Petz
12-02-09, 10:25 PM
Semper Fi, My son is currently in Afghanistan and i wanted to send him a good folding knife. I've seen a lot of ads but I would rather pick from some based on experience. Thanks,

http://www.bawidamannblades.com/

great blades.

Petz
12-02-09, 10:28 PM
Those without folded or beveled edges dig into your hands...

Here's my basic model purchased in the late 80's, the steel is stainless and tough but the reins are not comfortable. Thought about taping it but then it won't fold up proper....

wear gloves

SlingerDun
12-03-09, 01:24 AM
errr it didn't come with gloves, Petz. Geeze!http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

sdk87to91
12-04-09, 02:09 PM
Serrations really help cut thick rope in one swipe, but are hard to sharpen. some of the original multitools from the 90's had both a serrated and a straight blade. I highly recommended those back then. Now there are so many different combinations it is hard for me to recognize them anymore.

I liked the gerber multitool for it's flip out action but I broke three of them at the hinge point due to both pieces not lining up. Have had leathermens last much longer until losing them.

I prefer a straight knife that I can operate with one hand and which is immediately edged upon unsheathing.
I carry a mini leatherman everywhere and almost everywhere I carry the short version of the classic USMC kabar; which is conservative enough to wear around, go in a pocket, lunchbox etc..
With the kabar to back it up; the mini leatherman with 1.5 inch blade, file/flathead driver, can and bottle opener, is amazingly adequate for my needs in my civilian field going job and life. It's ALL ABOUT THE PLIERS and the aformentioned can and bottle openers open up to extend the handles to full length.

My friend who knows more about edged weapons than me prefers the TOm Brown. heavy, exotic, and wicked!

Osotogary
12-04-09, 03:37 PM
The Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Lockblade Pocket Knife (Black) that I mentioned has a serrated main blade but the serration is more like one would find on a bread slicer, kind of rounded off and easy to sharpen. What I really liked about it was that there weren't too many tools but just enough for some basic undertakings. The warranty was good as well. I liked this knife for its overall capability and reliability. It's certainly not a "knife fighting weapon" but a good companion to the KaBar.

FistFu68
12-04-09, 07:50 PM
:evilgrin: Great choice Big O,after all His Job is a Rigger not fucing RAMBO :confused: :iwo:

Quinbo
12-04-09, 08:10 PM
:evilgrin: Great choice Big O,after all His Job is a Rigger not fucing RAMBO :confused: :iwo:

Hey now Jack... that aint fair. Everyone knows that stitch *****es and remington raiders love rambo knifes.

Boost
12-07-09, 10:16 AM
Hey now Jack... that aint fair. Everyone knows that stitch *****es and remington raiders love rambo knifes.

WTF wow when did this start to turn to sh*t, They're all over there doing their jobs. Do you even know any Riggers/ Air Delivery personnel, or what they really do. I wanted to get him a knife to carry, something he can carry when he jumps as well. They are jump Qualed you know, and his unit jumps regularly. Damn, never mind. I'm outta here.

FistFu68
12-07-09, 12:27 PM
:evilgrin: Boost"LOCK IT" Sgt.B @ I are good Buddies the thread started off asking for a folding Knife that a Rigger could use.Then peeps come in with their Ideas nothing short of a Roman Gladiator Sword.If You did not dig our input then You should of sent Him a Frigging K-BAR @ Let Him jump His Merry Ass off. Rambo is a Fantasy Marines are for Real,Merry Fucing Christmas.:beer: :iwo:

Quinbo
12-07-09, 05:29 PM
WTF wow when did this start to turn to sh*t, They're all over there doing their jobs. Do you even know any Riggers/ Air Delivery personnel, or what they really do. I wanted to get him a knife to carry, something he can carry when he jumps as well. They are jump Qualed you know, and his unit jumps regularly. Damn, never mind. I'm outta here.

I researched your question and posted my recommendation with accomadating link. I was joking around with Fist with my second post. Have a nice day.