PDA

View Full Version : Andover Marine admits he shot himself

thedrifter
08-21-03, 06:00 AM
Andover Marine admits he shot himself <br />
<br />
A Marine who told Anoka County authorities that he was shot while trying to help a stranded motorist has admitted that he shot himself, a sheriff's spokesman...

firstsgtmike
08-21-03, 10:04 AM
Quote:

"Welter was apparently despondent about an impending long-term overseas military assignment" (to Hawaii).

There's at least a couple of hundred thousand troops who would willingly change assignments with him.

Don't forget to nail him for destruction of government property.

Sgt Sostand
08-21-03, 10:57 AM
What he did was useless Hawaii easey street he could have been sent to iraq

Barrio_rat
08-21-03, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Sostand
What he did was useless Hawaii easey street he could have been sent to iraq

Perhaps they should not punish him - after all, what the Sheriff said might be true, he tried to do the right thing and was awful apologetic. Maybe the USMC should let him know that his orders have been changed and he will not be going to Hawaii but, rather, to Iraq, Kuwait or even Diego Garcia for no less than a one year unaccompanied tour. That's not punishment, it's duty.

I never understood these guys who'd complain endlessly about being over seas. They should know their contract. AT LEAST one - one year tour overseas or two - six month tours over seas within a four year contract - more if deemed necessary by the USMC and/or in time of war or conflict. Not to mention that the USMC brags about moving its Marines around.

firstsgtmike
08-21-03, 12:14 PM
Quote;

"They should know their contract. AT LEAST one - one year tour overseas or two - six month tours over seas within a four year contract - more if deemed necessary by the USMC and/or in time of war or conflict."

End quote.

I don't even remember what was in MY contract, but I don't believe over seas tours (AT LEAST ONE) was specified in the contracts. If so, I know of MANY Marines, who could bring suit against the govt., who NEVER served overseas.

Red Dragon
08-21-03, 12:53 PM
You follow orders to the best of your ability, no matter where you are sent, there are good and bad duty stations. Hawaii is on the top of the list as one of the best duty stations, what is this...

MillRatUSMC
08-21-03, 01:40 PM
Sitting here shaking my head, Hawaii is some of the best duty in the Marine Corps
He's in communications and must have a high "secret clearance"...which might be gone for this stunt...might get transferred...so some unit will be stucked with a Marine still tied to mommy's apron strings...
Shaking my head at the stupidity of it all...
Great diving and swimming beaches and all the ladies on that island...shaking my head...what a fool...

Spend 1963 to 1965 there on K-Bay as a member of Bravo Co 3rd Recon till Vietnam appearred on the horizion...the need of NCO's saw me joining India Co 3rd Bn 4th Marines...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

mardet65
08-21-03, 02:24 PM
I'll ask one more time; How the Hell are these people getting into the Marines????? You join the military service and expect NOT to be set overseas? Am I going nuts or what?

ivalis
08-21-03, 02:39 PM
I read the Pioneer Press (twin cities newspaper) daily. Told the wife the day the first story was in the paper that it sounded a little "hinkey". Guess i was right. Uf Da, what a knucklehead.

jryanjack
08-21-03, 02:55 PM
Part of the reason I joined was for the travel overseas! Heck, I've been to the best places (at the worst times of the year!) in the world! INMO the Corps only needs to work on their timing. Would have given my left nut to be stationed in Hawaii!

thedrifter
08-21-03, 03:54 PM
I was stationed in Hawaii at MCAS K-Bay, was there from Aug 1963 to Aug 1965. Was with Ground Electronics Maintenance, Hq & HqSqdn and I loved every minute I was there, even got to take some courses at the University of Hawaii, loved them Co-Eds...

You do have to wonder how he ever got into our Beloved Corps. Bet he is still a Mommie's boy........never to far from those apron strings.........LMAO

Whatever the Corps throws at him, he deserves every bit of it plus more...............20 yrs at hardlabor at Portsmith should just about teach him a lessson.........Will these kids ever grow up.......

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

USMC-FO
08-21-03, 04:09 PM
I'm stunned !

First of all I don't recall signing a contract that stipulated SH*T

All I knew for certain was that I was to be a Marine. I went where I was told and never asked why. So went to Cuba, Tiawan, the "rock", Nam--briefly--Japan. Lejeune, Pendelton, Hawaii--BOY THAT WAS TOUGH--Navy Yard Brooklyn, and Quantico.

Am I missing something here about being sent to a "long term overseas assignment" Hawaii ??

I signed to fight--that got old quick but I certainly would not shoot myself.

....Thank God we still have Marines willing to go to Iraq and do what they are paid to do !

Devildogg4ever
08-21-03, 05:30 PM
I would have to agree with everyone! This stuff just gets my blood to boiling!
If you had it in a contract or not, everyone knows while you are in the military
you do what you are told! You may go overseas, and, or fight in war! I don't
understand why these people enter in the military, go through the trouble of bootcamp, never understanding or excepting what may be required of them!
I also don't understand the ones that enter the military knowing they can't or won't fight in combat if needed! What do they think the military is about?
Why does this not fall under traitor and coward? I'll never understand!!

Sixguns
08-21-03, 08:18 PM
Hello!!!

Hawaii???? Overseas??? Maybe they need to update the history books in his hometown. Hawaii is U.S. soil and although a large portion of the Pacific Ocean separates Hawaii from the mainland, it's still U.S. soil. Perhaps he need to be "overseas" in the Philippine or Vietnam jungles. Or perhaps freezing in February in Korea.

Hawaii does have running water and modern conveniences, doesn't it? They do speak English there don't they?

FirstSgtMike is right. We all know that in a four year enlistment, we are most likely to spend one year deployed or stationed overseas. I'm sure this was explained. I'm suprised this guy did become suicidal in recruit training when he was not allowed to make phone calls, write e-mails or enjoy any personal freedoms. In fact,after making it through MCRD Hawaii truly was a cake walk. Maybe he was a Hollywood Marine. They make them softer over there, don't they??

SF,

top1371
08-21-03, 11:27 PM
Diego Garcia is too nice, let's send him to the Northern Training
Area (NTA) on Okinawa and make him live in a shelter half.