PDA

View Full Version : Advice

trez
11-28-09, 03:57 AM
Hello Marines!

First off, I would like to thank you all for your service to the greatest country on the face of the earth.

I have been in contact with my Marine recruiter for over a month. I have already completed the ASVAB, and qualified my medical at MEPS in Brooklyn.

I have a cousin in the Airforce, and a family friend in the Army.

I had my mind set on the Corps for a long time now... since highschool (3 years ago). I've been attending college for the time-being. My friend introduced me to his recruiter and I was back in thought. I went and undergone qualifications- my next step is selecting my MOS and Contract.

I felt that after MEPS I would inform my family on my decesion. My mother, grandfather were very supportive. But my father was in for a suprise and unsupportive, calling me "stupid". A couple days later it seemed my family had formed a plan to alter my decession and confidence towards the Marines. ie. Trying to get me a good job, continuing school, local fire dept... etc. I'm an only child, and my grandparents are getting close to the end. etc...

Ive been doing a lot of thinking, and I dont want to be secound guess myself. I'm 20 years old, and I'm old enouph to make my own decesion. But I feal im at the crossroads of my future. School, Job, or Marines. I know if i dont commit to the Corps i will always look back wishing I should have.

I would just like to see what you all think. Ive always been 100%, but I would like to have my familys support. Whats your input?

Sincerely,
Joe T.

Phantom Blooper
11-28-09, 06:53 AM
Can't no one here make that decision for you.

You have to do what is right for you.

If the family doesn't want you to be active then you can look into the reserves.....there are options.

From where you are at in NYC the danger of attack is still great...so you can make the choice to do the college route....the job....or the adventure...THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS.

Family support is great.....however as you said, you need to make your own decisions...they have....

Don't call a recruiter...go see him and maybe ask him to have a one on one with your family and explain the benefits and options.

Fear is temporary...... Regret is forever......Choose......:evilgrin:

SGT7477
11-28-09, 08:29 AM
Don't look back later in life and wish.

trez
11-28-09, 05:34 PM
Thank you...

Sgt Leprechaun
11-28-09, 05:59 PM
Bingo '47. I can't COUNT the number of people I know, and have known, who've told me "I wish I'd been a Marine like you, instead I went to college...got a job....etc etc".

Your family is naturally concerned, of course. Take it into consideration, but remember, you have to live with you later in life...not with them.

trez
12-02-09, 01:59 AM
I have decieded to DEP in. I'm going down to MEPS to take the oath on Friday. Family support or not. I'm doing what I feel is right.
ARTILLARY BABY!

Sgt Leprechaun
12-02-09, 08:53 PM
Good deal!!!

sparkie
12-02-09, 09:15 PM
You is you,,,,you ain't them. Maintain peace as best you can, but foremost,,,,, follow your heart.

Tookie22
12-02-09, 09:25 PM
It's a great choice. My friend was depped in and he was kicked out because he got a felony. Many people wish they could do it. Earning the Title is unforgettable, your family worries but when you are on the Parade Deck on Thursday and they see the transformation, they will be proud and know that you made the best choice imaginable.

Phantom Blooper
12-02-09, 09:33 PM
Good Luck To You!

"When your up to your azz in alligators,its difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp!"

Follow your heart and one day you might have a Semper Fi Heart!:evilgrin: