PDA

View Full Version : Family and Friends

btetlow
11-28-09, 12:02 AM
I'm a sophomore in high school and I have wanted to be a Marine since I was little. My father was a Marine in the technical field and my uncle was in the Army. I love this country to death and I would give my life for our freedom in an instant. As many adults would think immature, I also love my girlfriend to death. I do expect to hear a few criticisms about it, but I plan on marrying her and starting a family some day. But, I'm not here to talk about my life plan.
I want to join the Marines as soon as I graduate high school or college, but I'm hung up about my girlfriend.

I recognize the fact that the Marines are the most well trained, conditioned, and honorable military force on the planet, but I'm not sure what would happen to my wife if something were to happen to me? I've looked for information online, but have found nothing. If I can take comfort in the fact that she will continue to receive any benefits or monetary gain, then I will join the Marines without hesitation. I will most likely join regardless, but if fighting without fear of dying makes you a great soldier, I'm afraid I wouldn't make much of a soldier.

On the side, thank you to all of you for everything that you do for our country. I look up to all of you in the best possible way, and I strive to be like you.

dizark
11-28-09, 12:50 AM
I am Married, and am aware of a life insurance policy that I'm worth $400,000 and an extra $100,000 for spouse protection or something along those guidelines. So basically, if I pass away, god forbid, my wife will be eligible for $500,000.

You do pay for these policies but it's taken out of your paycheck and is like $26 a paycheck or something.

Anyways, you are young and have plenty of time to consider the options. Best of luck to you in school and your future.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-28-09, 03:22 AM
Only a fool isn't afraid of dying. It's what you do when the rounds are snapping or the shiite hits the fan that makes the difference. And you'll be trained and conditioned to recognize that fear and work with it, and make it work for you.

Your wife will be taken care of via the insurance policy.

Phantom Blooper
11-28-09, 06:42 AM
I admire your commitment to your soon to be wife and family.

As Sgt Leprechaun said if your not afraid or have that fear you can be potentially dangerous.....but if that fear overrides your brain housing so much that you can't perform or complete the mission you can be more detrimental to your Marines and the mission.

Whomever you designate as your beneficiary on your SGLI will get the money...used to be able to give so much to parents but wife and children got the bulk.

Its hard to say but depending on the circumstances of death they will mourn,grieve,bury,mourn, and never be the same ...but hopefully never forget but move on.

The above statement is not meant to be harsh...but realistic....
:evilgrin:

SGT7477
11-28-09, 08:32 AM
Marines fear God no others, Get Some.

Zulu 36
11-28-09, 09:24 AM
As L/Cpl dizark said, you have the SGLI life insurance, which is a quite high payoff (worth the cost). Plus, in my day, they continued to give your spouse four months of normal pay and allowances. This may have changed, but it would be to the better.

If she was in base housing, she would not be evicted immediately, but she would have to move eventually. However, Marines and their spouses from your unit would help her pack, clean quarters, babysit, drive her around if necessary, etc. They'd also do the same if she lived off-base and was planning to move home. She would not be a pariah just because you were KIA, quite the opposite.

The Corps would pay for her household move, just as though it was a permanent change of station orders.

However, having said all that, I also provide you the advice I give to all new Marines or Wanna-be's: Avoid getting married until you are at least a Sergeant. The higher pay and allowances are a big part of it, but the early stages of a Marine Corps career, especially, are very hard on marriages. The greater maturity level also has an impact.

If the current operations tempo keeps up, you can expect to deploy early in your career, but prior to that your unit will be in build-up training which will take you from home a lot.

btetlow
11-28-09, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the advice and information. It does make me feel more confident in the decision and I have thought about completing college before I join.