PDA

View Full Version : From green beret to USMC

Hietaa
11-25-09, 06:45 AM
I better explain myself. :D I'm not the kind of green beret you're thinking of. Frankly I don't even have my beret yet but will have in few months as it is standard issue for everyone here. :p

So I'm (crazy) Finn who would like to be a US Marine. Only problem is that I'm not US citicen and i don't have green card. I've heard i can enlist if i get green card but that's not my only question. As here in Finland every man has to do compulsary military service of 6-12 months, in my case i'll be most propably heading home as reserve officer. Does this somehow prevent me from joining? I tried getting some info from the official Marines website but i didn't find anything usefull and it didn't let me request more info because i need US/APO adress for that.

GasChamber Guru
11-25-09, 09:05 AM
I better explain myself. :D I'm not the kind of green beret you're thinking of. Frankly I don't even have my beret yet but will have in few months as it is standard issue for everyone here. :p

So I'm (crazy) Finn who would like to be a US Marine. Only problem is that I'm not US citicen and i don't have green card. I've heard i can enlist if i get green card but that's not my only question. As here in Finland every man has to do compulsary military service of 6-12 months, in my case i'll be most propably heading home as reserve officer. Does this somehow prevent me from joining? I tried getting some info from the official Marines website but i didn't find anything usefull and it didn't let me request more info because i need US/APO adress for that.

I wouldn't think that your prior service in the Finnish military would prevent you from joining the US Marines. I had a platoon Sgt who was Nigerian and got his U.S. citizenship while in the Corps.
I can't give you any information on how to obtain a green card but this site may have some answers for you:
http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/

As far as corresponding with the Marine Corps from abroad without a US/APO address, you might try to obtain the email address of a USMC recruiter.
Good luck.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you interested in becoming a United States Marine?

Hietaa
11-25-09, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't think that your prior service in the Finnish military would prevent you from joining the US Marines. I had a platoon Sgt who was Nigerian and got his U.S. citizenship while in the Corps.
I can't give you any information on how to obtain a green card but this site may have some answers for you:
http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/

As far as corresponding with the Marine Corps from abroad without a US/APO address, you might try to obtain the email address of a USMC recruiter.
Good luck.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you interested in becoming a United States Marine?

I have no idea what makes it so interesting it just is. I've been thinking for it since i was 16. Firstly i thought about Finnish army the more i think about it the less i want to be there.

One sure way to obtain green card would be to marry someone. Any volunteers? ;)

ameriken
11-25-09, 09:48 AM
I think someone is more interested in a green card than they are the Marine Corps.

NoRemorse
11-25-09, 09:50 AM
I think someone is more interested in a green card than they are the Marine Corps.

I think someone's more interested in Asian girls with nice hips and loose morals than they are in a green card.

ameriken
11-25-09, 09:52 AM
I think someone's more interested in Asian girls with nice hips and loose morals than they are in a green card.
You're already married.

NoRemorse
11-25-09, 09:55 AM
You're already married.

My brother and sister-in-law were approached by two different people.

A Columbian woman approached my brother for a sham marriage for her citizenship.

A Jamaican man approached my SIL for a sham marriage for his citizenship.

The first offered 3000.

The second offered a free trip to Jamaica.

Neither took the deal. Got me thinking that I could have sold them both.

ameriken
11-25-09, 09:59 AM
I have no idea what makes it so interesting it just is. I've been thinking for it since i was 16. Firstly i thought about Finnish army the more i think about it the less i want to be there.

If you have no idea what makes it so interesting, then you really arent interested in the Corps. Though you do seem to have a bit more knowledge and interest in green cards.

ameriken
11-25-09, 10:08 AM
Did our little scammer run off already?

I guess this thread is 'Finnished'.

Hietaa
11-25-09, 11:18 AM
If you have no idea what makes it so interesting, then you really arent interested in the Corps. Though you do seem to have a bit more knowledge and interest in green cards.

Well i can't name one single thing that makes it so interesting. Mostly everything about it. I would like to work abroad and definitely not in 9-17 office job. For regular job i wouldn't need green card because i could as well work back here or get green card through job. I know pretty much about green cards and how to get them because I have searched what I need to have in order to enlist. I also know pretty much about Corps and i know both active and retired Marines and Army members.

Ameriken you seem to have something against me. Not ansvering for 20 mins doesn't make me run off. Don't you like foreigners or is there something else behind it. You can think what you like but I'm not for the green card only.

samthomas
11-25-09, 11:22 AM
Why not stay in Finland and make it an even better country, instead of dreaming of the U.S.?

ameriken
11-25-09, 11:25 AM
Ameriken you seem to have something against me. Not ansvering for 20 mins doesn't make me run off. Don't you like foreigners or is there something else behind it. You can think what you like but I'm not for the green card only.

I have no problem with foreigners who come here legally. I have a big problem with anyone who even jokingly throws out the idea of scamming our country by marrying for a green card.

You obviously have no clue about the integrity of Marines.

Hietaa
11-25-09, 11:29 AM
Seriously don't you have sense of humour at all. I rather stay here than get green card by marriage. Unless its really someone I would spend my life with.

Lisa 23
11-25-09, 11:51 AM
That's nothing to have a sense of humor over or even joke about. :evilgrin:

Seriously don't you have sense of humour at all. I rather stay here than get green card by marriage. Unless its really someone I would spend my life with.

Hietaa
11-25-09, 11:54 AM
Well I haven't lived there so i couldn't know that you take it so seriously. Sorry for everyone about that.

ameriken
11-25-09, 12:58 PM
1)

I have no idea what makes it so interesting it just is.

2)

Well i can't name one single thing that makes it so interesting. Mostly everything about it.

3)

I also know pretty much about Corps and i know both active and retired Marines

4)

So, let me understand correctly.

1) You are interested in the Marine Corps, but dont know why.

2) Then you say you are interested in everything about it but cant name a single reason why.

3) You say you already know active duty and retired Marines but you come here instead of getting answer from those Marines.

4) Gas Chamber Guru gives you a suggestion that really could help you (if you were serious), yet you show no interest in his suggestion.

And yet you wonder why I have a problem with you???

Wyoming
11-25-09, 01:08 PM
4) Gas Chamber Guru gives you a suggestion that really could help you (if you were serious), yet you show no interest in his suggestion.

And yet you wonder why I have a problem with you???

Yeah, but Ken, that would take work in his part.

He wants it given to him.

Hietaa
11-25-09, 01:09 PM
1) I couldn't name one so i didn't name any

2) Can everyone name single reason why they joined?

3) I thought here would be more Marines that could help.

4) I agree. Tho i tried it but couldn't find any way. Maybe you could find me email for recruiter.

Hietaa
11-25-09, 01:14 PM
Yeah, but Ken, that would take work in his part.

He wants it given to him.

OH!

I've spent countless of hours finding info about Marines, Army and green cards. But yet I haven't found any email address for recruiter. Only those request more info places where i can request info backage and add own comments. I even did fill out one of those I found on Army website but since I would rather join USMC I rather talked to USMC recruiter but it won't let me fill out the form because I don't have US/APO address.

Actually i haven't found email address on any official US website (that would be usefull for me). Yeah I can find telefax and stuff but no emails.

Wyoming
11-25-09, 01:20 PM
Click Here (http://www.goarmy.com/)

ameriken
11-25-09, 01:24 PM
Click Here (http://www.goarmy.com/)

LOL, thats perfect!

Look at it this way Hietaa, if you dont know why you want to join the Corps, we dont want you in the Corps.

zx6rdr
11-25-09, 01:26 PM
Actually i haven't found email address on any official US website (that would be usefull for me). Yeah I can find telefax and stuff but no emails.

OH! Oh really fool? Really??? how about... ahhhhh... nevermind.... I wont even try.... Big aL has it covered already...

Hietaa
11-25-09, 02:00 PM
Seems like you're very unfriendly here. Not something what i've heard of. The stories i've heard about Marines give different view on Marines and that's one reason I would like to be Marine.

You couldn't provide email address but decided to post link to goarmy.com, how mature. Maybe i shouldn't have even posted here because it seems like you're very ufriendly. Yes i made unappropriate joke but that was only because i'm not familiar with you custom and culture and i've apogolised for it. Only appropriate comment in this thread by any Marine was the first reply.t

Hietaa
11-25-09, 02:11 PM
OH! Oh really fool? Really??? how about... ahhhhh... nevermind.... I wont even try.... Big aL has it covered already...

Have you tried finding email designated for general questions on any US website? I don't think so as i haven't found on any of the sited I've visited.

ameriken
11-25-09, 02:12 PM
Have you read rule #7 in the Ask a Marine rules?

Read this before posting in Ask A Marine (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447)

No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.

(http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447)

zx6rdr
11-25-09, 02:18 PM
Have you tried finding email designated for general questions on any US website? I don't think so as i haven't found on any of the sited I've visited.

Actually, yes, I have. It took me all of 10 seconds to get the information that you requested. A simple search really... Had you not disrespected my country or the rules of this web site, I would have given you the informaiton I found; have fun in your search.

zx6rdr
11-25-09, 02:24 PM
Just to uphold the value of integrity and just because I dont think you have what it takes anyway.....

http://www.marines.com/rmi

SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!

Hietaa
11-25-09, 02:36 PM
IT SAYS I NEED US/AFO ADRESS IN ORDER TO COMPLETE. Atleast it said so earlier today when i tried to fill in the form. I'm asking simple email adress not one of those forms. Yes it took 10 seconds to find that but its not what I'm looking for

zx6rdr
11-25-09, 02:38 PM
Actually it says "I live outside the U.S territories or APO address"

Hmmmmm..... It must be the box that you have to check that is confusing you....

Wyoming
11-25-09, 05:12 PM
His cajones are getting bigger.

This **** is finnished.

Wyoming
11-25-09, 05:16 PM
Sus pelotas deben haberse caído.

Él se hace más valiente.

Hietaa
11-25-09, 11:35 PM
Actually it says "I live outside the U.S territories or APO address"

Hmmmmm..... It must be the box that you have to check that is confusing you....

And when i tick that box and fill out the form it says: "You must live in the USA, US Territories or have an APO/FPO address to request information."

Do you think I'm stupid or something? Yes I can fill out forms and I've tried filling that one before and it isn't possible for me.

ameriken
11-26-09, 08:59 AM
And when i tick that box and fill out the form it says: "You must live in the USA, US Territories or have an APO/FPO address to request information."

Do you think I'm stupid or something? Yes I can fill out forms and I've tried filling that one before and it isn't possible for me.

What does that statement mean to you?

To me it means "You must live in the USA, US Territories, or have an APO/FPO address to request information"

My guess is the Marine Corps is not going to waste time or money sending out packets to unqualified prospects or people they do not want, especially now that quotas are full. Perhaps if and when you get your green card and a US address, then you can request information. Until then, serve your country as they require, and talk to those active duty Marines you know rather than use up the time of recruiters who have already been quite busy.

Wyoming
11-26-09, 09:31 AM

He asked, and answers were given.

They did not suit him.

So he gets ****y.

Final answer, **** off.

Hietaa
11-26-09, 10:05 AM
If you have nothing useful to say you could aswell stay quiet. I'm going to get that email adress and talk to recruiter. If it is possible I'm going to succeed in it and show you I'm not lazy like you think. I thought being Marine would require even some degree of maturity but after seeing your answers that was clearly not true.

Lisa 23
11-26-09, 10:28 AM
Hey there Hiettaa...listen up. This is a Marine Corps site, and you are just merely a guest here. DO NOT tell Marines where they can or cannot post.
As it's already been told to you, your questions have already been answered and you don't like how the answers where given to you. If you can't handle some constructive criticism on the interent, if and when you ever get to join the Marine Corps, you will not make it. The Drill Instructors are much, much tougher and a lot more harsh with words and how they treat recruits in recruit training. Either you get used to it here, or don't even bother to join the Marine Corps. We don't like whiners!
Your attitude and disrespect towards the Marines here who have been trying to help you out, will not be tollerated.
YOU MESS WITH ONE MARINE, YOU MESS WITH US ALL! :evilgrin:

Read this before posting in Ask A Marine
7. No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.

8. Expect respect until you disrespect. Marines follow a tradition of mentorship which is the reason why most of us answer questions here. If we perceive a bad attitude in your correspondence with us, you may become familiar with more of our traditions, hostility and belligerence. Don’t go away mad. Just go away. The site administrator will expedite your departure.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Phantom Blooper
11-26-09, 10:32 AM
PM'ed thedrifter to delete this BS!:evilgrin:

Hietaa
11-26-09, 10:39 AM
I don't mind constructive critisism but most of the comments aren't exatcly constructive. I could find 4/5 constructive comments from all of your answers the others were just to say they don't like me. Yes I made unaproproite comment but as I don't know your culture and customs I wasn't aware of that and apologised. The hostility continued still. I'm not a whiner and usually don't mind being shouted at but if it has no reason at all then I don't like it and usually say that to the person who did that.

So what if the DI is tough and all. You aren't my DI. I can handle that as it is their job to be tough and hard to recruits and I know it.

Wyoming
11-26-09, 11:49 AM
So what if the DI is tough and all. You aren't my DI. I can handle that as it is their job to be tough and hard to recruits and I know it.

You know it?

How so?

You read it in a book or saw a movie.

One last thing, are you sure what we say isn't constructive?

You have been answered. Now you are but a little game.

SGT7477
11-26-09, 11:54 AM
The crap will never end,lol.

BR34
11-26-09, 12:33 PM
This thread is chocked full of stupid. And honestly, most of the stupidity seems to be coming from Marines. The kid made a f*cking joke! Get over it! All this **** is completely unnecessary.

Hietaa
11-26-09, 01:55 PM
Bigal you have already forgotten that i know both active duty and retired Marines?

Hotel4341
11-26-09, 03:17 PM
Bigal you have already forgotten that i know both active duty and retired Marines?

So?

We ARE active duty, reserve, got out, and retired Marines. And you're asking for our opinion. Respect that, or you have no place on this board or in our Corps.

BR34
11-26-09, 03:27 PM
He never disrespected anyone. And when he somehow offended some of the Marines here with a joke he apologized, more than once. You all are being incredibly sensitive.