PDA

View Full Version : Marine families get 1,100 frozen turkeys

thedrifter
11-24-09, 02:45 PM
Marine families get 1,100 frozen turkeys
By BRITTANY LEVINE
2009-11-24 06:35:47

Krystal Miles' Thanksgiving turkey recipe comes from her mom, and it's fabulous.

But Miles couldn't feed the 15 people coming for Thanksgiving dinner at her Camp Pendleton home a juicy bird, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes without the help she got Monday from San Clemente Military Family Outreach.

The nonprofit has handed out thousands of turkeys and other Thanksgiving fixings such as pie, cranberry sauce and turkey pans the past seven years. On Monday, a line of about a thousand members of military families snaked through a Camp Pendleton parking lot as about 80 volunteers passed out the goods, including some 1,100 frozen turkeys.

The line started forming about 7 a.m. That's when Miles, 24, got there. She showed up at 10 a.m. last year but didn't want to shuffle through the tail end of the line this year.

"This is a big deal," Miles said of the turkey giveaway. "Money is tight this year, and it's obvious that it's helping a lot of people."

Many of Miles' Thanksgiving guests are single Marines who won't be able to go home to celebrate the holiday with their families.

People like Miles remind Kim Reese, chairwoman of Military Family Outreach, why she dedicates so much to the event, which costs about $30,000 to put together. The nonprofit started raising money for it in August.

"I was a young military wife married a week before my 20th birthday, and I know what it's like to be the recipient on the other end," Reese said. "I know what it's like to be the young wife sleeping on the floor because we couldn't afford a bed, and I think this helps those who are in the same position."

The event is meant for low-income families, but there is no process to check finances, said volunteer Bob Crittenden.

Volunteers including church groups, Marines and San Clemente Boy and Girl Scouts helped distribute the food. A line of volunteers wearing gloves tossed frozen turkeys into shopping carts. The Scouts helped pregnant woman and Marines with disabilities carry groceries to their cars.

"Marines are always helping us, so it's fun to give back," said Xander Grove, a 14-year-old Scout from Shorecliffs Middle School.

Sgt. Jason Pedroza, 24, and a group of other Marines gathered food for their families and about a dozen other Marines who were at work. Pedroza said the giveaway means a lot to his family.

"My mother called the other day and I was able to say, "Don't worry, Mom, I got it all taken care of," he said.

Many mothers stood in line with their children, who played with electronic games or plastic toys. Amanda Sapp, 27, a military wife, pushed a baby carriage stuffed with four frozen turkeys. A Marine dressed in a turkey costume paraded among the crowd, interacting with the children. Crittenden got the costume on loan from a nearby turkey farm.

Ellie