PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate times to wear uniforms?

USMC Sokol
11-22-09, 12:05 AM
I was wondering when the appropriate times/occasions/places/etc you are allowed or most common to wear certain uniforms upon graduation from Recruit Training.

I believe these are all the Marine Corps uniforms, but I may be wrong.

Dress Blues
Service Uniform
Woodland Cammies
Desert Cammies
PT Uniform

MD8724
11-22-09, 12:05 PM
Dress Blues - Can't think of the term, but special events, occasions. Normally though, once a year at the Ball, and you might wear them if you get married, depending on the person.

Service - Checking in to a unit, one or two random inspections a year, to the Ball if you don't have Blues, and Service C or B when it's the uniform of the day, but it's not often. C or B may be required for different things as well, so you always want to make sure they fit you, and are at the very least, pressed and almost ready to wear.

Woodlands in the fall winter months (changes with Daylight savings time), or in a woodlands style training area.

Deserts - spring/summer months, or in a desert style trainging area, or in Iraq/Afghan being that they are in deserts.

PT - when ever you have green on green PT. You can wear them around the barracks if you want, but most people only wear the PT shorts for PT. You can't wear the PT uniform for off base PT. I.E. back home on leave, or say in Japan where you run off base quite alot.

dizark
11-22-09, 12:28 PM
You're not authorized to wear your cammies off base (unless you live off base and are going home for the day from work)

You're not authorized to wear Dress Blue Alphas (with the medals), but you are authorized to wear Dress Blue Bravos (ribbons and shooting badge).

BR34
11-22-09, 01:28 PM
Dress Blues - Can't think of the term, but special events, occasions. Normally though, once a year at the Ball, and you might wear them if you get married, depending on the person.

Since October 2008 I've worn my Blues 24 times. Twice for the Ball (including 1 sword detail), twice for Memorial Day ceremonies, once for a Sept 11th ceremony, and 19 times for funeral rifle details for Marines that have passed. Yep, I keep count.

Sokol, what uniform you wear and how often you wear it will vary from unit to unit. Some units do more out with the public so they have to wear service or blue uniforms more than others. Some units never take their service or blue uniforms out of their closets.

The uniform you'll wear the most is cammies. That's your day-to-day work uniform.

MD8724
11-22-09, 01:46 PM
Since October 2008 I've worn my Blues 24 times. Twice for the Ball (including 1 sword detail), twice for Memorial Day ceremonies, once for a Sept 11th ceremony, and 19 times for funeral rifle details for Marines that have passed. Yep, I keep count.

Sokol, what uniform you wear and how often you wear it will vary from unit to unit. Some units do more out with the public so they have to wear service or blue uniforms more than others. Some units never take their service or blue uniforms out of their closets.

The uniform you'll wear the most is cammies. That's your day-to-day work uniform.

Wow. I hope you clean that thing yourself :P

polizei
11-22-09, 04:17 PM
Depends on the Marine...I bet I wear my Blues a lot more than active Marines because I have Toys for Tots and other events I go to. I don't really know why you're worry about this though...everything you need to know will be taught to you.

USMC Sokol
11-22-09, 04:45 PM
Thank you for all the answers. I appreciate it

Hotel4341
11-22-09, 08:38 PM
Depends on the Marine...I bet I wear my Blues a lot more than active Marines because I have Toys for Tots and other events I go to. I don't really know why you're worry about this though...everything you need to know will be taught to you.

Ploizei is right, it really depends on your unit. I'm in service uniforms every single day. Recruiters are in their blues. Some Marines don't even wear uniforms to work on a normal basis. Most of the time, it'll be your cami's though.

MLMonk
11-22-09, 09:16 PM
I've worn my uniforms a lot, mostly the Blues, because I've done 60days of RA, and about 10 funeral dutys, 2 USMC Balls, and I've worn my Service "C"s a few times for some things like meeting with a GySgt and a Captain at the Embry Riddle NROTC. Anything else that was unit related, I've worn cammies, which is only 2-3 times a month, unless I am making up a drill or just doing more for money. I've worn my cammies off base in Orlando twice, and that was only for recruiting purposes (pull up bar event). The most awkward thing I've done, was wear Dress Blue "B"s inside a Walmart, since I had an eye exam right after a funeral detail.

There is no real limit on to what you can wear uniform wise (obviously no cammies and Dress Blue "A"s, and of course PT gear), but if your active, it's going to be cammies, unless told other wise. For reserves, it really doesn't matter while your not drilling, as long as it is within regs.

USMC Sokol
11-22-09, 10:03 PM
The most awkward thing I've done, was wear Dress Blue "B"s inside a Walmart

Lol I think it would pretty cool to see someone in Dress Blues walk into Walmart...You probably had the whole store looking at you though!

Thanks

dizark
11-23-09, 12:51 AM
MLMonk, I walked into a Wal-Mart in my Dress Blue Bravos as well on boot leave as I just got done seeing my recruiter and SNCOIC (they had requested me to come in Blues, instead of the traditional Charlies).

I got a lot of thank yous and such. One older lady wasn't sure if my uniform was for the Marines or another branch, but her friend with her cleared it right up. haha