PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going back in the reserves.

devilbones
11-21-09, 02:36 PM
I got out of the IRR about 4 years ago and I have been thinking of joining a unit. I was an 0261 and want to join an infantry unit as an 03xx. Do you think they will make me go to some formal school?

Twitchell
11-21-09, 11:46 PM
Hey Sgt. I used to be Active, and am looking to go back into the Reserves. If you went through MCT, not ITB, then I'm pretty sure you would have to go back to SOI and go through ITB if your looking at 03**, but I'm not sure. I went through ITB, but since it has been a while, it looks like I will have to go back again do to changes. I would think that would be all you would have to do though. But don't quote me on that!

Supersquishy
11-22-09, 04:50 AM
I got out of the IRR about 4 years ago and I have been thinking of joining a unit. I was an 0261 and want to join an infantry unit as an 03xx. Do you think they will make me go to some formal school?

1. Talk to PSR, ask him questions.

2. It depends on the Unit you want to join and their needs, if they need 03xx and they have a slot open for you, you get to go to soi if you only went to mct, if they only have radio operator available, you may get that instead.

4. Be prepaired for a long process. Im in your shoes by being off contract for over 3 years, Im still waiting for my waiver package to get approved.

5. GOOD LUCK!

AdamBOh3
11-23-09, 01:42 PM
devilbones... i just came onto IRR as an 03xx from India Company 3Bn4th Marines in 29 Palms, CA. My unit is in Afghanistan right now. I have been thinking about coming back into the reserves as an 0261. So, it seems as if we mirror each other in a way. Maybe they can do a one-for-one MOS swap between us... or not.

I was in Iraq last year and urged to reenlist for active duty 0261, it carried a 100k tax-free bonus at the time, but I had to turn it down because the timing was not right. However, I am very intersted in geography and want to continue in the Marine Corps, so I keep thinking of coming back as an 0261 reservist. Maybe you can answer some questions I have.

As for your question- they will make you go through SOI's ITB (infantry training battalion). A platoon sergeant in my company had done something similar what you are thinking. He was an air winger, became a DI, and then wanted to be infantry. They made him go through SOI's ITB. He was meritoriously promoted to SSgt while there, came to the fleet, and did two deployments and was again meritoriously promoted to GySgt before being assigned to OCS.

When I was going through SOI's ITB my platoon's guide was a prior active duty cook. He was coming back in as a reservist 0311 and they made him go through ITB. He was a sergeant and although we butted heads, he did a good job of leading by example. Bottom line, they will expect much more of you physically and mentally. Plus, you better be a good leader who cares about working for your Marines and not overly concerned about making yourself look good for the higher-ups. If you aren't a natural leader, then you'll have to learn fast. You can guarantee that you will be under a microscope, but I see that as a positive thing. You will get to the fleet/reserves as at least a squad leader. If I were in your shoes and really wanted to come back in as an 03xx, then I would definitely see if you can get sniper school written into your contract. It's just a whole different world than the Joe Blow grunt and if you are stuck with moronic and uneducated enlisted men above or below you in rank (which will happen) then it can be unbearable at times. On that note, there are plenty of morons enlisted and officer and that doesn't matter what specific MOS or infantry MOS you are in. All-in-all being an 03xx is a frustrating exercise. I wouldn't change it for the world!

Good luck on your journey. You should write me back, for I'd like to discuss your plans more and I also have questions about becoming an 0261.

Semper Fidelis,
Adam Coleman

devilbones
11-23-09, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure if they would make me do that again but it appears that I will to back to SOI through ITB. Whatever questions that you have about 0261 please let me know and I will answer as best I can. I was the only reservists 0261 at MCIA before they started the Marine reserve intel program. So any questions that you have, fire away.

AdamBOh3
11-23-09, 03:54 PM
You are welcome on the info. You can do it, but as you know you may have 10 Marines tell you no before you get to someone who can and is willing to help you out. I just wrote out a series of questions, but this website logged me out and I lost it. So, I'll try to rewrite them, but I may have even more questions.

1. What is the school like? Is it very intense or do you find yourself wasting time and waiting around? Is there a set M-F schedule like 0700 to 1600 or do you work at night as well?

2. Do you think the school is worth the time? Would you do it again? Do you feel that your experience or training can translate to a civilian job utilizing GIS?

3. What is the class make-up like? Are the Marines mainly young, junior, and enlisted? What is the make up of the other services? Are there enlisted, officers, and civilians in the classes.

4. What opportunities are available for an 0261? What about a reservist? Do you know what the training and deployment schedule is like for a reservist once he's graduated the school?

5. What do you know about becoming a warrant officer with an 0261 background? I'm specifically interested in becoming an 0205: Senior All-Source Intelligence Analysis Officer.

devilbones
11-23-09, 04:12 PM
1. What is the school like? Is it very intense or do you find yourself wasting time and waiting around? Is there a set M-F schedule like 0700 to 1600 or do you work at night as well?

The school was 8 months long at Ft. Belvoir, VA. It is made up of 3 Army MOS schools Cartography/Geodetic Survey/Terrain Analysis. The school was 0800-1600 however one portion of the Survey class is done at night.

2. Do you think the school is worth the time? Would you do it again? Do you feel that your experience or training can translate to a civilian job utilizing GIS?

I think the school is worth the time. I wouldnt do it again because I am not really into the GIS stuff too much anymore. I think at the time I was in we really didnt use it as well as we could have. This training will get you a great civilian job. Everyone that I was in with that got out is doing really well working for NGA/DIA or some other agency doing great.

3. What is the class make-up like? Are the Marines mainly young, junior, and enlisted? What is the make up of the other services? Are there enlisted, officers, and civilians in the classes.

The class is made up mostly of younger Marines however there are guys that Lat move and will be in the class. It is all enlisted and there were about 27 to start and I think 23 graduated.

4. What opportunities are available for an 0261? What about a reservist? Do you know what the training and deployment schedule is like for a reservist once he's graduated the school?

In the fleet there are not too many 0261s so you may be limited to three Topo platoons 1st at Camp Pendleton, 2nd at Lejeune and 3rd at Camp Hansen Okinawa. There is at least one 0261 in each Marine Division G-2; 2 0261s on Each MEU and there is one at each COCOM.

5. What do you know about becoming a warrant officer with an 0261 background? I'm specifically interested in becoming an 0205: Senior All-Source Intelligence Analysis Officer.

They phased out the 0262 Geodetic WO. I dont know of anybody that has gone 0261 to Warrant. One of my friends went to become a Comms officer. One thing I will tell you about this MOS is that it is hard to get promoted. There are only 27 SSgts and 12 GySgts. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I know many Marines that are still at the Platoons and can answer any questions that you may have.