PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to Officer uniforms

MLMonk
11-21-09, 09:01 AM
So if I get my Commission like I am planning to within the next 5 years, what uniforms will I have to buy? Other then the Dress Blue jacket. I am unsure about the Alpha coat being different, I am guessing I will need to get that too, since one with darkened spots where chevrons used to be might look a bit odd, lol. Only reason I am asking this is because I do not want to pay $2500+ for the whole uniform package they have on some websites.

I also heard a rumor that prior enlisted officers can wear the NCO bloodstripe on their Blues trousers, can anyone confirm or deny this?

firedog974
11-21-09, 09:14 AM
So if I get my Commission like I am planning to within the next 5 years, what uniforms will I have to buy? Other then the Dress Blue jacket. I am unsure about the Alpha coat being different, I am guessing I will need to get that too, since one with darkened spots where chevrons used to be might look a bit odd, lol. Only reason I am asking this is because I do not want to pay $2500+ for the whole uniform package they have on some websites.

I also heard a rumor that prior enlisted officers can wear the NCO bloodstripe on their Blues trousers, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I have 4 really close friends who went enlisted to officer (2 are LT's and the other two are CWO's). ALL of them bought an entire new issue. The reason was not just for OCS and TBS, but also because they were becoming officers.....higher standards. I heard from them in OCS and TBS there are lots of inspections. You cannot wear a khaki blouse which used to have chevrons on the sleeves and expect to pass an inspection. You also would not want to be wearing salty cammies and getting inspected. If you are going to be an officer, you need to have the best looking uniforms. That whole lead by example thing. The good thing is, if you do become an officer, no more JOB inspections. Are you trying for MCECP?

MLMonk
11-21-09, 10:38 AM
Alright, thanks. No, I do not qualify for MECEP since I am a reservist, I'm going to have to do the PLC program, or the NROTC.

firedog974
11-21-09, 11:34 AM
Good luck with it. Mustangs always make the best officers. Semper Fi.

Blutic
11-21-09, 12:02 PM
I'm a mustang and bought all new stuff also. The uniforms at the Marine Shop in Quantico are better than what you get a Parris Island. Officers where the bloodstripe too.

Isrowei
11-21-09, 01:49 PM

No. NCOs wear the NCO stripe. Officers wear the Officer stripe. You wouldn't dream of putting chevrons and hash marks on your officer uniform, why would you mix and match uniform stripes to your fancy?

Ridiculous.

Marine1955
11-21-09, 02:58 PM

I would start a savings account so that when you have to buy new,you have the green to buy and not go into so much debt at one time.I'm sure you bought extra uniforms for yourself. If so put them on eBay so as to offset the cost you will endure also. Now March forth and Adapt and Over Come Marine..

MontezumaCpl
11-21-09, 04:09 PM
Aye, I remember the pockets on the Officer's Alphas being different and the different blood stripe. Better to get a new officer's set. Good luck!

tangovictor87
11-21-09, 05:10 PM
i'm pretty positive the officer blood stripe is wider.

MLMonk
11-21-09, 05:58 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses, I at least cleared some things up with me thinking I can use some current uniforms I have already to save a few cash. I'll start saving up as soon as I can to get the best looking uniform items (I all ready do buy the good uniforms as a LCpl reservist). I know I am a bit ahead of myself since I do have at least 4 years left before even considering buying the uniforms, but I rather know now then make the mistake of just ripping off my chevrons and using those later on when the time comes.

Blutic
11-21-09, 07:46 PM
I've never heard anyone call the red "blood stripe" an "officer stripe" or "NCO stripe". I was taught at Parris Island that the red stripe signifies the blood shed by so many officers and NCOs at the battle of Chapaultepec.

See Wikipedia: Tradition holds that in the Battle of Chapultepec (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Battle_of_Chapultepec) in September of 1847, Marine officers and NCOs sustained an unusually high casualty rate during the battle.[2] (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/#cite_note-Pirates-1) In 1849, uniform regulations dictated that the stripes were changed to a solid red. Ten years later, a scarlet cord was inserted into the outer seams for noncommissioned officers and musicians, while a scarlet welt was added for officers. Finally, in 1904, the simple scarlet stripe seen today was adopted, with the varying widths prescribed for different ranks.
This red stripe is 2 inches (5.1 cm) for general officers (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/General_officer), 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) for other officers, and 1.12 inches (2.8 cm) for enlisted Staff Noncommissioned Officers (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Staff_Noncommissioned_Officer) and Noncommissioned Officers (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Non-commissioned_officer). A modified version is worn on the officers' evening dress (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps#Evening _Dress) uniforms, with the scarlet flanked with gold trim.

Zulu 36
11-21-09, 08:03 PM
And don't forget you'll be required to get a sword and accessories. That ain't cheap stuff either.