PDA

View Full Version : Input please

boo7328
11-20-09, 11:58 PM
So I'm 20 years now and have thought about joining the marines since I was 17 literally everyday. Planning on joining this February or March. Looking to sign a 2 year contract which I believe is called a national call to service. I heard they don't give to many of them out. Also might join reserves. Just wondering if anyone has any input as to what they put on your contract what to look for. Pretty much anything. To be honest I don't fully trust recruiters. First hand experiences are always nice. Maybe talk a little about your MOS. Thank you.

Fubar5812
11-21-09, 12:08 AM
sounds like you plan to do the absolute minimum. Marines don't do minimum.

smoking gunz
11-21-09, 12:59 AM
Only certain mos's qualify for the two year contract. I dont understand that you wanted to join so badly for years and you want to do the least amount half @ssed way possible. Maybe you should look into other branches that dont mind the minimum.

GasChamber Guru
11-21-09, 04:48 AM
Is this kid serious? " I want to be a Marine so bad, I'm willing to show up on weekends for a couple of years...." wow.

egbutler1
11-21-09, 05:35 AM
thats straight weekend moto them types in iraq pretty much did nothing expect try and kill other american units with their undisciplined group of gaggel fvcks.

Lisa 23
11-21-09, 08:40 AM
Can't help you with your question, but when using the words Marine or Marine Corps on this site, it will be capitalized at all times.
Oh, and whether you want to or not, you should learn to "trust" Recruiters.

doc h fmf
11-21-09, 08:44 AM
Wow You Got To Be Kidding? Try The Army They Have 2yr Hitches Still I Believe . The Navy Is 4yrs.you Could Be A Corpman But I Wouldnt Suggest That With Trhat Kind Of An Attitude We Corpman Have A Proud Tradition And Dont Want It To Be Tarnished With That Kind Of An Attitude

sparkie
11-21-09, 08:44 AM
Far as I am concerned, a 2 year stint was for Draftees,,,,,,,,, Didn't know it was still around.

boo7328
11-23-09, 10:37 PM
Everyone is so helpful. Everyone should learn that certain things have underlying issues. There might be a specific reason why I'm asking for a 2 year contract for now. LIke my older brother died in the war. I'm the only son left. This will devistate my mom and dad. I just feel like I need to do it. Joining for two years for now is so when I tell them they might feel a little more at ease. Also if you are going to tell someone to refer to MARINES in capitols you should do so as well. What attitude do I have? Asking for help? Just wondering if people have any HELPFUL advice. Instead seems everyone just picks everything apart. Trying to front like they are perfect. Probably why when I tell people I'm going to join the MARINES there first response is "so you want to be an a$$hole". I have talked to a lot of MARINES that are nice and respectful. However there are some excessively good and bad people in any group. Though I would think that MARINES out of any branch would know that you have to work as a team and help others out. Give direction when needed. Give constructive critisism. Instead of thinking you know someone's entire life story and character from 6 sentences. If anyone has any HELPFUL advice it would be greatly appreciated.

boo7328
11-23-09, 10:42 PM
Is this kid serious? " I want to be a Marine so bad, I'm willing to show up on weekends for a couple of years...." wow.

That is funny. You put that into quotes, when I never said that (English class might be needed?). Its not like I'm trying to be a weekend warrior for national guard and expecting not to go overseas. I'm pretty sure that any reserve program is like 6 years. I would probably end up going overseas two to three times. Knowing all that and looking for to it. Sounds like I'm really looking to do the absolute minimum. In my opinion doing the minimum would be not going. Not showing my support for the troops that have served.

Lisa 23
11-23-09, 11:34 PM
Everyone is so helpful. Everyone should learn that certain things have underlying issues. There might be a specific reason why I'm asking for a 2 year contract for now. LIke my older brother died in the war. I'm the only son left. This will devistate my mom and dad. I just feel like I need to do it. Joining for two years for now is so when I tell them they might feel a little more at ease. Also if you are going to tell someone to refer to MARINES in capitols you should do so as well. What attitude do I have? Asking for help? Just wondering if people have any HELPFUL advice. Instead seems everyone just picks everything apart. Trying to front like they are perfect. Probably why when I tell people I'm going to join the MARINES there first response is "so you want to be an a$$hole". I have talked to a lot of MARINES that are nice and respectful. However there are some excessively good and bad people in any group. Though I would think that MARINES out of any branch would know that you have to work as a team and help others out. Give direction when needed. Give constructive critisism. Instead of thinking you know someone's entire life story and character from 6 sentences. If anyone has any HELPFUL advice it would be greatly appreciated.

What is it with wannabes and poolees mouthing off to Marines lately?
I never said that Marines should be in all CAPS, I said it should be capitaized at all times.....there is a difference.
If you want to know anything about a 2 year contract, contact a local Recruiter near you.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-24-09, 02:14 AM

1: Sarcasm by wannabees, no matter how well intentioned, is not tolerated towards Marines. Period. IF for some reason, you decide to enlist, get used to being told WHAT to do, and how, by those who outrank you, with no chance for rebuttal. Learn that one now and you'll save yourself much trouble.

2: Blaming others for your failure to fully explain yourself? Try again. This time, how about "Perhaps I should have phrased that better.....".
I personally find your response condesending and snarky. Not sure where you believe you are, or to whom you might be addressing....but this isn't some tweeniebopper 'net cafe.

3: We've all lost friends, relatives, etc. in 'the war'. Since, however, you are claiming this, you should provide some details so it can be verified. YES, we have people coming on here claiming to have done all sorts of things to get sympathy or whatever. Assuming that what you say is true, your parents no doubt have good reason not to want you to enlist.

4: Helpful advice is provided, but know this, the Marines on this site deal with many posers, wannabees, poolees, and others coming on here and asking questions that could easily be answered by talking to a recruiter, doing some basic research, or researching the forums themselves.

5: So, 'people' think Marines are 'azzholes', eh? Likely those 'people' are the same ones who haven't a clue. I rather take that as a compliment.

6: Best advice: Talk to a recruiter about 2 year contracts. You'll still have to do 8 total years. But talk to a recruiter. I doubt this program is still around but it's possible. These days, though, recruiters are picky and have plenty of good candidates to choose from.

MD8724
11-24-09, 10:07 AM
I would have loved a two year contract. I could only do 5 though :(

Marine84
11-24-09, 10:33 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA! And the hits just keep on coming, don't they?

jinelson
11-24-09, 10:35 AM
Look boo read our rules and perhaps maybe you will understand why you are being treated as you are. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048 I am giving you the benefit of the doudt which I seldom do for wannabes only in respect for your brother. Now read and comply with our rules or you will be history here.

Jim