PDA

View Full Version : DD 214 Question

dvdclgr
11-20-09, 09:39 PM
I graduated the scout sniper basic course in Hawaii back in 2005, and on my DD 214, under Box 14, military education, it has the course listed as being completed. But under Box 11, primary mos, the 8541 mos is not listed, all that is listed there is 0331 and 0933. Is this because back then 8541 wasn't a primary specialty?

Not that this matters at all, I still have my graduation certificate and I'm not planning on obtaining any kind of job where that info is needed, but I would appreciate if there are any 8541's out there who could take a look at their DD 214 and let me know if theirs is the same.

Thanks

Wyoming
11-20-09, 09:55 PM
Hard to say what they were doing, Ma'am, back in 2005.

<LI class=profilefield_category>About dvdclgr <DL class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><DT class=shade>Rank <DD>E-1 <DT class=shade>Year Entered Marine corps <DD>2003 <DT class=shade>Year Exited Marine Corps <DD>Still in Service </DD></DL>

thewookie
11-21-09, 06:26 AM
I graduated the scout sniper basic course in Hawaii back in 2005, and on my DD 214, under Box 14, military education, it has the course listed as being completed. But under Box 11, primary mos, the 8541 mos is not listed, all that is listed there is 0331 and 0933. Is this because back then 8541 wasn't a primary specialty?

Not that this matters at all, I still have my graduation certificate and I'm not planning on obtaining any kind of job where that info is needed, but I would appreciate if there are any 8541's out there who could take a look at their DD 214 and let me know if theirs is the same.

Thanks

Because that was a basic "course" and not a formal school, they probably didn't give you the MOS. For a number of years before I got out,, I heard about "new" sniper schools other then Quantico, but even still for while there if you didn't go through Quantico you didn't get the MOS. Or it could be as simple as admin just screwed-up and didn't put it in box 11. I have 6 MOS but only three show up in my box 11. Not all of my MOS's that show in my box 11 are in my box 14. And to my knowledge, 8541 was never listed as a primary, it is a billet MOS or it was. But as long as you have the graduation certificate -- what anyone thinks is moot.

dvdclgr
11-21-09, 12:41 PM
Wookie, thanks for the reply. As far as it being just a basic course, that was just the title of the course given by the schoolhouse at the time, it was scout sniper school before that, I think they changed it again since then! It was the full 10 week course, complete with the fx at the end, they even gave us sweatshirts with 8541 labeled on them. I think there are 4 Basic courses now, in Pendleton, Lejeune, Hawaii, and Quantico, and 8541 (or the new one) is given out by all of them.

Anyway, you're right, it really doesn't matter now, thanks again.