PDA

View Full Version : Question about Permanent Disqualification

USMC Sokol
11-20-09, 08:05 PM
My friend is on Permanent Disqualification for having high blood pressure, due to being nervous and not doing so well on the ASVAB. I have been friends with this person for a long time and he is the one who got me into the Marines. We met our recruiter the beginning of June of this year.

He's going back to MEPS to take the ASVAB and the physical tests again. By the time he was put on Permanent Disqualification for not doing so well, I was already DEP'ed in. Originally we were both scheduled to be shipped off to recruit training on June 14th, 2010, which is 2 days after our graduation day (also Flag Day)...

Now my question is, will his ship date change because of his first MEPS trip? I mean he's been with our recruiter and going to the Poolee functions as a guest each time. Just wondering if anyone would know the answer

Thank you,
Poolee Sokol

Capital M
11-20-09, 09:12 PM
I guess it depends on slots available.

Why can't you or your friend just ask your recruiter? This seems like a question that he would know best. If he doesn't know, it's because he can't tell you that yet. Nobody on this site would be able to give you a better opinion.

Robbie123
11-21-09, 01:59 PM
I have to agree with Capital, the best answer would probably come from your recruiter.

but, if he is PDQ, why is he still going to MEPS to take the ASVAB and the physical tests again? Plus if he is PDQ, wouldn't that mean he doesn't have a ship date at all? I mean if he is permanently disqualified that means he wouldn't be able to join at all, since its permanent not temporary.

...I think I'm missing something?

trmptplyr
11-21-09, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps someone changed Webster's definition of the word 'permanent'.

USMC Sokol
11-21-09, 05:46 PM
I got no clue either, but somehow my recruiter got him out of PDQ lol

MarinesFTW
11-22-09, 08:21 PM
Wow, they didn't let him rest and retake his pressure? When I was at MEPS a kid had 130 or 30, the guy doing it sat there wondering how the hell this kid was either alive, or if the machine was messed up. So he put him to the side did everyone else, kid came back, and was with in the lines. It was weird because he did it 3 times before he told him to sit for a little.

Robbie123
11-24-09, 10:38 AM
Wow, they didn't let him rest and retake his pressure? When I was at MEPS a kid had 130 or 30, the guy doing it sat there wondering how the hell this kid was either alive, or if the machine was messed up. So he put him to the side did everyone else, kid came back, and was with in the lines. It was weird because he did it 3 times before he told him to sit for a little.

yeah when I did it I had a high blood pressure, and they just retook it later and I was fine...nervousness I guess haha

Mulls
11-24-09, 10:59 AM
they had a kid sitting there for like 10 minutes retaking his BP over and over again until he finally got it right - he kept getting more and more nervous haha. are you sure he got out of permanent disqualification? like, i've never heard of someone getting out of PDQ. that's why it's Pdq.

USMC Sokol
11-24-09, 04:08 PM
The trick that might help is to remind yourself over and over that EVERYONE who joins the Marines has to do it, and the people at MEPS have gone through hundreds and hundreds of people. Just keep repeating that to yourself and remember Yes sir, No sir all the time.

McFeely
11-29-09, 07:23 PM
130? Im pretty sure they accept anything under 140. Anything under 140 is considered prehypertensive (doesnt require medicine) and anything over 140 is considered hypertensive which requires medication or you can talk to the doctor about lowering it naturally. When I went I was nervous as heck and mine was all the way at 138 and they passed me through. I guess Ill be even nervous tuesday at meps when I ship out.

MarinesFTW
11-29-09, 10:08 PM
I dont remember exactly the numbers but it was like 130 over 30 or something along those lines. It wasn't to high, just the numbers didn't make sense. The doc said "according to the machine.. you should be dead". That broke the dead silence..

atimmons
11-29-09, 10:41 PM
Perfect bp is 120/80. That's what the docs say anyway.

Capital M
11-30-09, 01:23 AM
130? Im pretty sure they accept anything under 140. Anything under 140 is considered prehypertensive (doesnt require medicine) and anything over 140 is considered hypertensive which requires medication or you can talk to the doctor about lowering it naturally. When I went I was nervous as heck and mine was all the way at 138 and they passed me through. I guess Ill be even nervous tuesday at meps when I ship out.

The systolic pressure (1st one) isn't necessarily as important. It's diastolic (second) that is the major indicator. As long as diastolic doesn't reach 90 you should be good to go. Hypertension is defined as 140/90 and above (on a regular basis). but there's room at the 140 mark.

Mine was 144/84 at MEPS. No problem.

McFeely
11-30-09, 10:06 AM
130 over 30 ya than for sure. Lol 30 is way low.

Enrique2010
12-03-09, 02:34 PM
im about 110/ 80....Tell your friend to hit Cardio HARD. It helps to lower blood pressure. Your body will get used to high blood pressure while working out, then when you cool down, it drops. All depends on how much you put out though. Just dont overdo it. Also, night before meps, and morning, drink plenty of water and dont eat foods high in cholesterol, fat, salt, sugar or starchy foods.

*SOURCE*- I work at a gym and we get alot of information obviously.