PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing: Hunters from the sea score a mighty catch

thedrifter
08-20-03, 05:47 AM
Spearfishing: Hunters from the sea score a mighty catch
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 2003815181826
Story by Sgt. Joe Lindsay

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(Aug. 15, 2003) -- Though they all grew up landlocked, with their visions of the deep sea shaped by images of the movie "Jaws" more than anything else, a group of four service members aboard MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, have taken to their new ocean surroundings on Oahu quite well. So well, in fact, that they are perhaps as feared now by their prey as they ever were themselves as wide-eyed children looking up at the infamous great white shark of the big screen.

That's because the four - James Davis, a Marine Aircraft Group 24 network administrator and native of St. Louis; Ben Cobb, a Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 24 embark chief from Gilbert, Ariz.; Hugh Powell, a Phoenix native and immunization technician at the Kaneohe Bay Branch Medical Clinic; and Casey Sase, a BMC corpsman from Grass Valley, Calif. - have become avid spear fishermen, going into the water almost religiously every weekend to capture the spoils of the sea.

"Growing up in Missouri, I was always into hunting, but I never imagined I would be in a position to do something like spearfishing," said Davis. "Even though I am a beginner, I am starting to get the hang of it and have been doing O.K."

Just "doing O.K." might be the understatement of the year in the spearfishing community, as the ever-humble Davis conveniently failed to mention that he recently landed a monstrous u'hu fish off the Bay's waters.

The fish that Davis speared was only four pounds shy of the u'hu (parrot fish) world record of 18 pounds.

"It was definitely a monster," said Powell of Davis' catch. "It just goes to show that if you put the time into learning something and have the dedication, that you can accomplish anything."

The group, which has affectionately been dubbed the "Haole Hunters" by many in the local spearfishing community, says one of the best aspects of their newfound-sport has been meeting members of the local Hawaiian community who have been spearfishing for generations.

"Spearfishing has allowed us to meet people we otherwise probably would never have come into contact with," said Cobb.

"It has really done a lot to help bridge cultural gaps, and the local spear fishermen have kind of taken us under their wings and taught us some tricks of the trade."

Those educational sessions in the sea seem to be working, as Davis, Cobb, Powell and Sase routinely emerge from the ocean with their legal limits. But how many fish they spear isn't really their goal.

"Safety is always our paramount concern," said Sase. "I used to hunt pigs growing up, but hunting in the sea is a whole different world - literally.

"You don't have as much control of your surroundings under water. That's why we never dive alone," said Sase.

And when the four emerge from the waves together after a successful hunt, they look more like warriors from the sea today than the scared youth who once feared "Jaws" seeping into their nighttime dreams.
"Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm still scared of sharks," said Davis.

"Me, too," chipped in Powell.

"It's more of a healthy paranoia than actual fear," added Cobb.

"Statistically, the chances of actually getting attacked by a shark are remote."

Whether or not the fear is real or imagined, the four still plan on continuing their forages into the water.

"It's in our blood now," said Davis. "Every time we go out into the ocean, it's like a new adventure."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200381519030/$file/Haole1low.jpg

(From left to right) Casey Sase, Hugh Powell, Ben Cobb and James Davis, all service members stationed aboard MCB Hawaii, have formed a spearfishing club.
Photo by: Courtesy of Hawaii Skin Diver

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200381912278/$file/Spear1low.jpg

Some of the best spearfishing in the world can be found in the waters off Hawaii, as this catch shows.
Photo by: Courtesy of Hawaii Skin Diver

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: