PDA

View Full Version : Recruiters...

JBlaze
11-19-09, 12:17 PM
I just have a small question for the Marines here.

About two years ago, while I was still a senior in high school, I began searching for a military career in the Corps. I began talking with a Sergeant (I'll withold the name) of which we did get along. We started filling out some paperwork and starting the long process of the "Package" and such to get me enlisted under DEP.

Well, one day, he came up to me and told me to drop out of high school, get my GED and go to MCRD PI ASAP. I was appalled.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves in the Armed Forces, especially Marines. And I do know that recruiters are most of the time considered "The Bad Guy", but this Sergeant just absolutely blew my mind by telling me to drop out of high school to join the Corps.

Anyways, I told him where to put it, because at that point, I had lost all respect I had for him. It pretty much ruined my perspective of the Corps.

My question is this, I want to know what you, as Marines, think of my first recruiter. Have you ever witnessed something like this before?

As a side note, I am finally going to MEPS on the 30th and hopefully getting a ship date sometime soon, although I'm told the earliest for Active Duty is June '10. For some reason, lately it's been nagging the hell out of me to get back off my lazy bum and enlist. I can't wait for the yellow footprints.

polizei
11-19-09, 12:33 PM
I'll just say that given your post, I would say that recruiter probably shouldn't be a recruiter....but stories change from person to person, and without being a witness, I withhold a valued answer. Good luck in boot, hope you're new recruiter is better...Mine was fantastic, but I've heard of a lot of Marines complaining about their recruiters...just remember, THEY cannot give you everything, it's YOUR job to research enlistment, bonuses, information, MOS', etc.

Lisa 23
11-19-09, 12:36 PM
In my opinion, your Recruiter at the time was wrong for telling you to quit school and get a GED. I don't know what the process is or how long it takes to get a GED, but nowadays, you also needs 15 college credits to go along with a GED, and the Marine Corps is tight on those with GED's. Other Marines will come along an give you better info on that.
So, now that you're finished with high school and you have a high school diploma, and you're still interested in joining the Marine Corps, get off your lazy bum and go and get the process started.
Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

JBlaze
11-19-09, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the quick replies :)

Just have to say that my recruiter now is the best. Someone who takes the time to explain everything I have questions about. I just really wish I could ship sooner.

dizark
11-19-09, 04:28 PM
Yes and with those 15 credits, I'm told they only let in 5% with GEDs each fiscal year.

SGT7477
11-19-09, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the quick replies :)

Just have to say that my recruiter now is the best. Someone who takes the time to explain everything I have questions about. I just really wish I could ship sooner.
Don't wish your life away it will come sooner than you think.:D

Hotel4341
11-20-09, 07:36 AM
Yes and with those 15 credits, I'm told they only let in 5% with GEDs each fiscal year.

That was before they hit 202k. Now, you have to be red-hot for MCRC to take a GED waiver.