PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to OCS

Homelessbelieve
11-19-09, 07:23 AM
Hello,

I have been trying to gather information on this site as well as marineocs.com about the process of going from an enlisted Marine to an officer. I currently have my Bachelor's Degree in Government and I am interested in becoming a leader of Marines, I am now trying to figure out how I would like to do this. I know in the enlisted path it takes much hard work and effort to make it to the NCO positions but I am curious as to the responsibilities, day to day requirements and activities they perform. I am also curious if anyone has made the switch, or has some information on making the switch from an enlisted to an officer? I did some research online and found several programs exist but they did not say if there is a wait period between enlisting and filling one out nor did they say if there are multiple chances or if everyone could do it. The bottom line is I am trying to get some information from both sides of the line so I can better prepare myself for my meeting with my recruiter and also understand the roles and types of leadership available in the Marines.

Thank you

GSEMarine94
11-19-09, 08:07 AM
I can't answer any questions about Marine programs as I made the transition from Marine NCO to Army officer, but I can explain the difference between the two positions.
As a Marine NCO you will be directly responsible for the Marines placed under you. You will be given a mission from an officer/SNCO and it is your responsibility to ensure that those Marines accomplish it. Between missions it is your job to ensure those Marines are prepared to accomplish any mission you may be given.
As an officer you will be responsible to plan for any mission you receive from your command, as well as ensuring that your NCO's have everything they need to accomplish their mission as well as ensuring that they are doing their duty.
As far as day to day duties, that will be determined by your MOS.