PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cutting Scores Batman!

Whitey
11-18-09, 05:37 PM
Wow did they jump. just when I thought I was in the running....

Ingle
11-19-09, 02:21 AM
look at Military Police, lol

GREY MATTER
11-19-09, 02:59 AM
if you wanna get ****ed off take a look at Maintenance admin's cutting score....ive never seen it go above 1200 for corporal

Ingle
11-19-09, 03:08 AM
if you wanna get ****ed off take a look at Maintenance admin's cutting score....ive never seen it go above 1200 for corporal

Military Police/1646

GREY MATTER
11-19-09, 03:20 AM
Tactical Data Systems Administrator/1106

Hotel4341
11-19-09, 08:16 AM
My entire occ field has no promotions in the month of December. Our sis occ field (trains at the same school as us) promotes two corporals to sergeants (out of three jobs). One of those cutting scores is 1901.

0331 2 0369
11-19-09, 08:33 AM
Obama's way of saving money. Just put the scores to high so noone will get promoted means not having to pay more. :D

Those scores are way up there. I can't recall ever seeing some of those MOS scores that high ever.

ZSKI
11-19-09, 12:35 PM
stop your whining mine was 1720 before. thankfully last quarter it was 1681 but i didn't do one MCI so gents max those out. Better luck this time i hope

MLMonk
11-19-09, 02:08 PM
1699, yay mine droped by 3 points.

Whitey
11-20-09, 10:24 PM
All my Comm buddies did the "my score went down" dance.....I just sulked lol. hopefully next quarter it drops below a 1520 so i can pick up

GIrene
11-21-09, 09:54 AM
Man are you kidding?

I've never seen most aviation jobs with Hornets below the 1750's, and Cpl was usually in the 1600+ area.

I picked up Cpl on a 1597 and I picked up Sergeant in the "great rank giveaway" (well as the crap talkers would say) in October (they promoted like 16 Cpls and almost 30 LCpls that month) with a 1704 (If I remember, and now I can't look it up anymore).

I keep telling my Marines to not focus on the score. Its the number of people in front of them. Focus on doing everything they can to get their scores higher and doing well at their job and the selection will come with time.

BR34
11-21-09, 10:31 AM
All my Comm buddies did the "my score went down" dance.....I just sulked lol. hopefully next quarter it drops below a 1520 so i can pick up

Man you can't be serious! One of the reasons I want to lat move to either your MOS or 2141 is because of the low cutting scores-I would get promoted as soon as I completed school.

Most people in your MOS probably could get promoted before even having required TIG (if possible). Make no mistake, you have it made with how low your score is. When I picked up Cpl my score was 100 points HIGHER than yours is now, and I still did it in less than 2 years. Everyone in your MOS should have 3 stripes before they reach 4 years.

bgsuwoody
11-21-09, 11:29 AM
If you spend less time worrying about scores and how low or high yours is, how about you just do your job, learn everything and anything you can, spend a little extra time putting that extra effort in and just overall do what your told and dont ***** about it and eventually that will all play out to promotion no matter what field...btw if you can't get a 1520 something is seriously wrong

BR34
11-21-09, 11:58 AM
<1520 with 2 years in I'm thinking low PFT, unk'd on the range, no MCIs, or low PRO/CON. Either way, they can all be fixed. Easier to fix them than to wait on the score to drop to where you are.

MD8724
11-21-09, 01:04 PM
If you spend less time worrying about scores and how low or high yours is, how about you just do your job, learn everything and anything you can, spend a little extra time putting that extra effort in and just overall do what your told and dont ***** about it and eventually that will all play out to promotion no matter what field...btw if you can't get a 1520 something is seriously wrong

It's always nice to know where you stand as far as making more money. It takes about 3 minutes to know your score and the cutting score. Honestly, why be a dick about 3 minutes.

Hologram
11-21-09, 01:13 PM
METOC Anaylyst and Forecaster/1440. We have a reservist still in my school getting promoted to Cpl.

GIrene
11-21-09, 05:00 PM
Lemme try and expound on as much as I've figured out in Lhamon's terms anyways:

Everyone gripes about the scores of other MOS's and they don't think beyond the number.

If everyone MOS had the same numbers, the same quotas for ranks, etc, then yes, maybe there would be a reason to care. But every MOS is a different beast. Rank the composite scores up in your MOS and figure out how many places back you are in the quota. Thats the real indicator rather than the score. The Cutting Score is usually going to be the composite score of the last person in the number they promote.

So yes for instance METOC may have a 1440 but that may only be one fellow. While in the 0311's the thing is in the 1700-1800+ area and the race tight but if they don't close it it may be a high score but they promote say 30 Marines.

Its a real complicated mess and at many times doesn't make too much sense hence is why I say don't focus on the cutting score. Just do everything to make yours better. Everything comes with a bit of time and some MOS's as we see are hard to move in, while others are not. "Supply and Demand" in a way, how many spots are opening in your job above you and how many people are eligible and how long they are all eligible and how their composite scores turn out all affect how things turn out every month.

And of course, I had Marines complaining that "The score is going down! This is ridiculous, and I still haven't been selected." Well of course the score goes down. Because the comp scores are done every quarter, so for two months after the new comp scores come out, the cutting score reduces as Marines are promoted, then naturally everyone jumps up a bit or a lot the next quarter. Common sense. See a bit beyond the world surrounding just you and your score, many variables play into how all these things are decided and to make the quotas and what not. I would say if its not your time, then it isn't, but thats not fair to good Marines who are in jammed MOS's and can't move up, even when they are top performers.

Now that I'm done worrying about this crap (except trying to explain it to my Marines), I have to figure out the world of FITREPs and Staff Selection Boards. I'll probably have a sit-down with the Staff Sergeant to get a gouge on what I need to do to keep my papers in order since I have to deal with it inevitably.

StoneTheWeak
11-21-09, 07:29 PM
I left MOS school with a 1575, thats 1 month time in grade, no MCI's, and a 276/350 for the range. Don't wanna hear it. My MOS is about to close for Corporal, so I could have a 2100 and it wouldn't matter.

Donut Brigade
11-21-09, 09:06 PM
Mine score is 1326. Four or five Lances in my MOS. I'm one of them. As soon as we rate it, we pick up.

MLMonk
11-21-09, 09:35 PM
I'm at 1669 with 8mo's TIG. Still haven't done my MCI's (they're in the mail), and I have 2 people under my name that I recruited, those points haven't added in yet either. Hope I have enough points by January.

StoneTheWeak
11-21-09, 10:04 PM
From what I understand of MotorT(explained to me by a former MotorT Sgt, now works in Intel), MotorT promotes so fast because there are so many people, and most of them get out, they all get their quals to work out in the 1st Civ Div, so there's no point staying. He said it's pretty hard to get out after 4 years and NOT have made Sgt. Must be ****in nice.... lol

MLMonk
11-21-09, 11:11 PM
Active Motor T, yeah, but reserves? It's 1700, lol. I wish I was on the active side, since the cutting score is low.

WKranz
11-21-09, 11:15 PM
thats better then mine as an active grunt. mine is always like a 1750 or closed the **** out.

MD8724
11-22-09, 12:11 AM
I left MOS school with a 1575, thats 1 month time in grade, no MCI's, and a 276/350 for the range. Don't wanna hear it. My MOS is about to close for Corporal, so I could have a 2100 and it wouldn't matter.

1 month time in grade as a Lance with no MCIs and you had a 1575 ? Is that with the CFT calculated ? Because if not, bull****, and if so, thats not the same as his 1530 or whatever right now. 1 month TIG, low rifle, no MCI's, you'd be lucky to break 1400.

BR34
11-22-09, 08:51 AM
1 month time in grade as a Lance with no MCIs and you had a 1575 ? Is that with the CFT calculated ? Because if not, bull****, and if so, thats not the same as his 1530 or whatever right now. 1 month TIG, low rifle, no MCI's, you'd be lucky to break 1400.

I gotta agree, I don't see any way that could be possible.

I was a 11 month LCpl with a 1612 and had all my MCIs, a 281 PFT, and high SS on the range. Either he's confused or he's blowing smoke.

MD8724
11-22-09, 10:06 AM
It's probably with his CFT calculated in. I am just rating a Sgt score with 7 MCI's, and it's a 1555. With the CFT calculated in it's almost an 1800 though. Obviously a huge difference, and obviously relevant to the type of scores everyone else has. It's basically the same score, as far as placement goes.

Donut Brigade
11-22-09, 01:40 PM
My friend in ATC had a score of 1545 out of school and got promoted on his first try. It's not impossible.

Some schools are over a year long, and if you a contract PFC, you rate Lcpl early in school and can possible rate a score after 6 months TIG.

For example, someone who got Lance in May/June/July will rate Cpl in January, but if you got it just a month after, you have to wait till April.

MD8724
11-22-09, 01:53 PM
My friend in ATC had a score of 1545 out of school and got promoted on his first try. It's not impossible.

Some schools are over a year long, and if you a contract PFC, you rate Lcpl early in school and can possible rate a score after 6 months TIG.

For example, someone who got Lance in May/June/July will rate Cpl in January, but if you got it just a month after, you have to wait till April.

Yes, but he said he had 1 month TIG. You are right about the score. You rate a score in the quarter that your 9th month falls into. Contract PFCs usually start off lower though, because they don't have as much TIS. I had a 1550 on my first composite score foir Cpl. Picked up with it too.

For StoneTheWeak though, it's impossible with 1 month TIG, unless he didn't get promoted to Lance for a long time, in which case he would have lower Pro/Cons because he would have had to have ****ed up to not get promoted, in which case his Score still wouldn't be that high.

One thing to remember is that Pro/Cons make a huge part of your score. I love it when the ****tard Lances try to talk **** because they think they will be picking up soon, and end up with low Pro/Cons, that lower their average and actually drop their score.

Donut Brigade
11-22-09, 01:59 PM
Yes, but he said he had 1 month TIG. You are right about the score. You rate a score in the quarter that your 9th month falls into. Contract PFCs usually start off lower though, because they don't have as much TIS. I had a 1550 on my first composite score foir Cpl. Picked up with it too.

For StoneTheWeak though, it's impossible with 1 month TIG, unless he didn't get promoted to Lance for a long time, in which case he would have lower Pro/Cons because he would have had to have ****ed up to not get promoted, in which case his Score still wouldn't be that high.

One thing to remember is that Pro/Cons make a huge part of your score. I love it when the ****tard Lances try to talk **** because they think they will be picking up soon, and end up with low Pro/Cons, that lower their average and actually drop their score.

Didn't realize he only has 1 month TIG.

STW, gotta wait 6-9 months bud and only pro/cons that count are average marks in GRADE. Did you get pro/cons while being a Lance or PFC?

MLMonk
11-22-09, 04:15 PM

That's definitely with the CFT calculated in. Because with the CFT calc'd in mine, it's 1669, but without it, I am a 1420 or so, and my Pro/Cons aren't too bad at 4.4/4.4, with a 298rifle and 282 PFT.

christ0ph0311
11-22-09, 04:45 PM
just so you all know, the composite score calculator on MOL screws up when you put a CFT score in there. It adds that number to your composite score, making it look ridiculously high. so don't get your hopes up when it says you have a 1700-1800 score when you put in a 250pt CFT score :cry:

MLMonk
11-22-09, 05:41 PM
just so you all know, the composite score calculator on MOL screws up when you put a CFT score in there. It adds that number to your composite score, making it look ridiculously high. so don't get your hopes up when it says you have a 1700-1800 score when you put in a 250pt CFT score :cry:
It's about the same, my 295CFT gives 250pts, while my 282PFT gives 240pts, both of them give you 85% of your actual score added on to your composite score. While your rifle is 73%. On a previous thread I asked about the CFT and your score, and another Marine mentioned that they might add all 3 scores and divide it by 3, I just did the estimate, and my score dropped by 300pts then if I never ran a CFT, so that didn't make any sense.

BR34
11-22-09, 07:24 PM
I was actually told they add up CFT and PFT scores and divide them by 2.

StoneTheWeak
11-22-09, 10:00 PM
It's with the CFT in there, and I did it on MOL. Imagine that, something else from the Marine Corps that doesn't work. I thought they use a CFT for one half of the year, and then a PFT for the other half?

And no, I didn't get in trouble, I was just never contract PFC. As far as pro's and con's go, isn't it cumulative? It's not just the ones you got most recently, they take them all and average them together I thought? My ones leaving New River, as a Lance, were 4.6/4.6. Bootcamp was 4.2/4.2 and Pensacola was 4.5/4.4. Not sure how it works.

BR34
11-23-09, 05:13 AM
It's with the CFT in there, and I did it on MOL. Imagine that, something else from the Marine Corps that doesn't work. I thought they use a CFT for one half of the year, and then a PFT for the other half?

And no, I didn't get in trouble, I was just never contract PFC. As far as pro's and con's go, isn't it cumulative? It's not just the ones you got most recently, they take them all and average them together I thought? My ones leaving New River, as a Lance, were 4.6/4.6. Bootcamp was 4.2/4.2 and Pensacola was 4.5/4.4. Not sure how it works.

The only ones they consider is TIG averages. Each tenth is worth 10 points. So your points from LCpl Pro/Cons right now is 460. If you have over a 280 PFT that's 5.0 which translates into 500 more points. Not sure what the hell is the deal with the CFT.

BR34
11-23-09, 10:20 AM
I just checked mine out and I now see how it's done. They take the ratings from your PFT, CFT, and rifle score and add them together. Then they divide them by 3 and multiply times 100.

For instance, if you have a 281 PFT, 300 CFT, and shot 316 it will look like this:

PFT=1st Class Rating=5.0
CFT=1st Class Rating=5.0
Rifle=316=EX Rating=4.7

Subtotal =14.7
GMP subtotal divided by 3 = 4.9 X 100 = 460

That's the way my mess is ran in MCTFS.

MLMonk
11-23-09, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't 4.9x100 be 490? Instead of 460, lol.

BR34
11-23-09, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't 4.9x100 be 490? Instead of 460, lol.

lol, yea that.

StoneTheWeak
11-23-09, 11:57 PM
lol, yea that.

In all seriousness, it's pointless knowing the score, and what yours is. If you exceed it'll happen.

Or be real **** hot and get meritorious.

leutenantpussy
11-24-09, 01:26 AM
Wow did they jump. just when I thought I was in the running....

Wow pipi en el Culo

leutenantpussy
11-24-09, 01:27 AM
Oh ToTally MG so you mean to tell me that my here score really ain't -000?????

MD8724
11-24-09, 10:11 AM
In all seriousness, it's pointless knowing the score, and what yours is. If you exceed it'll happen.

Or be real **** hot and get meritorious.

Says you. Some people like to know where they stand for their next promotion.

ZSKI
12-06-09, 06:58 AM
That may be true but once u have done all that u can do its better just to leave it alone **** i didn't even know mine untill my plt sgt told me i might get cpl in January with my scores

Nadeau
03-12-10, 11:43 AM
I just want to know where the cutting scores are published? I know they wont be out for another week or so but I want to know so I can be on the look out. (I checked old MARADMINS, I don't think they get published there) I doubt I'll pick up... but 3 months ago the 2846 cutting score was like a 1598 (I know it was super low) I'm hoping itll drop like that again. It was 1611 this month and I'm wondering what it'll be for April 1st.

thediesel713
03-12-10, 09:45 PM
I just want to know where the cutting scores are published? I know they wont be out for another week or so but I want to know so I can be on the look out. (I checked old MARADMINS, I don't think they get published there) I doubt I'll pick up... but 3 months ago the 2846 cutting score was like a 1598 (I know it was super low) I'm hoping itll drop like that again. It was 1611 this month and I'm wondering what it'll be for April 1st.

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2029930&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Its under manpower management on usmc.mil.