PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo question

Crushy
11-18-09, 09:48 AM
Hello Marines! My name's Brian, 18 years old and I am currently waiting on a bumed before I go to MEPS, and I had a question about tattoos. I know the new policy about nothing seen while wearing PT gear, but I was wondering if there was any policy or a kind of unwritten rule about getting tattoos within the policy? Like do you need any kind of permission from a Commanding Officer, or is there any type of notification process you have to go through if you do get more tattoos? I've looked through the search and couldn't find anything but I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Thanks Marines!
Brian

Lisa 23
11-18-09, 10:14 AM
Do you have tattoos now, or are you asking after you are in the Marine Corps, about getting tattoos?

Mar 24 2007

The Marine Corps is getting more strict about tatoos according to Marine administrative message 198/07 (http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ec7256307ac62075852572a3007c12fc?OpenDocument).

“This clarification came about because there was room for interpretation of the old policy,” said Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, spokesman for the commandant of the Marine Corps. “The commandant had this issue come up at every town hall meeting that he attended and wanted to make the policy fair across the board, squashing any margin for error.”

The message details new guidelines for Marines with tattoos, specifically, restricting them from getting sleeve tattoos while protecting those who already have them.

Effective April 1, Marines are prohibited from getting sleeve tattoos. Those individuals who have sleeve tattoos are required to be documented by their command by July 1.

A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing a standard physical training T-shirt and shorts are likewise prohibited.

Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos need to have them photographed by their command and have them documented in their service record books to be grandfathered into this policy.

Current Tattoo Policy
The Marine Corps takes a conservative approach to personal appearance. Uniform regulations stress that personal appearance is to be conservative and commensurate with the high standards traditionally associated with the Marine Corps. No eccentricities in dress or appearance are permitted because they detract from uniformity and team identity.
Marines are prohibited from:

a. Tattoos or brands on the head and neck.
b. Sleeve Tatoos. A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person's entire arm or leg.
c. Half-sleeve or quarter sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard PT Gear (T-shirt and shorts). A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo or collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an army or leg above or below the elbow or knee. d. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps. These may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-american, anti-social, gang related, or extremest group or organization related.
Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) prior to 1 April 2007, will be grandfathered. The Marine's command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective (tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine's SRB. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm

Old Marine
11-18-09, 03:59 PM
Once you are sworn in, you become government property and subject to the UCMJ. I know it used to be called defacing government property. Don't know what they call it these days.

Wyoming
11-18-09, 04:55 PM
Once you are sworn in, you become government property and subject to the UCMJ. I know it used to be called defacing government property. Don't know what they call it these days. Getting sunburnt was also a way to get in trouble, at one time.

Qwarkeh
11-18-09, 05:39 PM
Getting sunburnt was also a way to get in trouble, at one time.

It still is, especially if you get severely burned.

Old Marine
11-18-09, 06:55 PM
You got that right Big Al. I remember one time I fell asleep on a dock at a lake and got really burned. My ankles swelled up so big I coulc not walk. Spent 4 days in bed and had to take leave or face the Old Man.

Zulu 36
11-18-09, 07:04 PM
Once you are sworn in, you become government property and subject to the UCMJ. I know it used to be called defacing government property. Don't know what they call it these days.

Disobedience of a lawful order or regulation Article 92, UCMJ

SGT7477
11-18-09, 07:31 PM
Getting sunburnt was also a way to get in trouble, at one time.
Yes and shaving your head also, destruction of government property.:flag:

Crushy
11-19-09, 11:34 PM
WMarine, I'm asking about getting tattoos while in the Marine Corps.

I wasn't really clear on the other answers. Would getting a tattoo, say a chest piece, be an Article 92? It follows the policy WMarine posted, not being shown above the neck, or or any type of arm/leg sleeve. Or are getting tattoos completely restricted while serving in the Marine Corps?

Thanks Again Marine.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-20-09, 12:17 AM
Depends on the type you are getting. Quite frankly, at this point, I'd be more concerned with graduating Recruit Training and your schools before tattoos. Just my opinion of course.

Apache
11-20-09, 10:17 AM
Advice you most likely don't want.
Think long and hard about tattos.
They are for life.
There are some surgical removal proceedures--expensive

Tattos brand you as less than a command level person.

Just think before acting