PDA

View Full Version : Process for volunteering for deployment in the reserves

Flaco
11-18-09, 12:03 AM
I was wondering if any Marines had experience with the process for volunteering for deployment in the reserves, and the length of time it can take to get orders? Around the time I'm finished with ITB my unit will be in the middle of a deployment, so I wanted to volunteer to go with another unit. I'm trying to figure out if I should make other plans for after ITB (such as college) or if it wouldn't be worth it if the process to get orders to deploy is pretty quick. Thanks Marines.

Lupo22
11-18-09, 06:36 AM
Get through boot camp first. Then, enjoy being a Marine for your boot leave. Then, make it through ITB. Then, goto school! Don't rush into a deployment. Take advantage of your down time. I kind of wish I had went reserves so I could get some schooling done. Only been in the Fleet for a month, so I'm not sure yet how much time I'll have to get some school done, being a grunt and all. Hopefully I can finish my AA and get some work on my BA before I get out...

benw2200
11-18-09, 11:43 AM
Not sure on the details but I think you can volunteer for a deployment with any battalion in your regiment.. for instance, I'm currently deployed with 3/24, but we have volunteers with us from 1/24 and 2/24. The quickest way to get on a deployment is to talk to your chain of command. If you haven't gone to boot camp yet or checked into your unit.. you can always get in contact with them. You should do a reserve interview anyway, before you ship. Talk to your 1stSgt or whoever you do your interview with, tell him you'd be interested in deploying with another battalion if possible and he will tell you everything you need to know.

josephd
11-18-09, 01:05 PM
like benw2200 said, use your chain of command that is what they are there for

Mindgame
11-18-09, 06:54 PM
I don't know about other btn's but I know there has been a volunteer deployment every year. We have about four or so Differant units in our Co. which usually have so many slots per unit for each deployment.

I would suggest just asking the 1st Sgt whats the normal protocal on deployments, instead of just asking when there will be a chance that you can go. Once you get to the unit, and have become a Marine, then ask when you can go.

I am currently going back and fourth to my unit every day getting ready to get activated. We finished our paper work, and medical stuff. Now where just doing mcmap, and waiting on Dec 1. I don't know who we are getting attached to, but apparently a Bn made up of mainly reservist's will be going to Afghanastan in May(ish) timeframe. We have a Marine who checked in, and asked for a spot his first drill. Luckily for him someone wanted to drop, and he got on.