PDA

View Full Version : Military style digital watch

kschmidt
11-17-09, 08:50 AM
Hi,
My son will be graduating 12/11, Delta Co, Platoon 1092. I can't wait! meanwhile, in his last letter he mentioned that he wants a "Military style digital watch" for Christmas. Any suggestions, please?

Phantom Blooper
11-17-09, 08:57 AM
http://usmcshop.grunt.com/Browse.aspx?Catalog=Marines&Category=Jewelry%2fMensJewelry

Try this scroll down...:evilgrin:

Hanzo
11-17-09, 10:34 AM
Casio G-Shock

Seems like just about every Marine I who wore a watch when I was in wore a G-Shock. They're tough, cheap and do the job perfectly when you're in the field. Its what my Drill Instructor recommended when I asked him after graduation, its what I wore and just about everybody else.

Quinbo
11-17-09, 11:18 AM
The general criteria is that the watch not be eccentric. Black band no million little buttons. I preferred one with a light and water resistant to 200 M. I wear a g-shock now and wore an ironman while in the Corps. The band will wear out before the watch does. I still have the ironman in a box somewhere. Broken band the watch is still ticking. I actually found the ironman in the field about 20 years ago and had a new band put on it, which eventually wore out, so I don't know how old it is.

If you want to get him a less functional momento of the occasion get him an engraved pocket watch.

Zulu 36
11-17-09, 11:52 AM
I vote for a G-Shock too. They're hard to destroy and a battery lasts a long time.

Supersquishy
11-17-09, 12:23 PM
I agree with the G-Shock (all black), its pretty dang rugged but make sure the watch band is all rubber, NOT the cloth type band or it will start stinking with sweat and humidity after a while, yuck.

kschmidt
11-17-09, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, the G-Shock it is! Found one for a great price.

SlingerDun
11-17-09, 09:07 PM
I had a couple reasonably priced Timex "expedition" field watches that did take a licking just like the commercials said until they were directly targeted and unlucky as all of them eventually are in my profession. Both were analogue. If i bought a digital field watch___which i don't for various reasons___ it would be Suunto, and i'd be hesitant to wear it underneath a horse

--->Dave

usmcdanno
11-18-09, 02:29 PM
A Rolex or Tag Heuer would be in order.

FistFu68
11-18-09, 02:57 PM
:evilgrin: Nike makes a Digital water resitant too 300 meters,gives the temp,and has Compass readout Sapphire scratch resistant dial,has lite up dial,stop watch all for under 200 bucks.I've been using Seiko dive Watches since I bought my 1st one at Freedom Hill my last one was number three in forty years.The Seikos cost about 300-400 duckets.I'm getting the Nike for Santas gift 2 Me :beer: :thumbup:

kschmidt
11-20-09, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the responses! My son is worth the Rolex but this Mom has more of a G-shock budget!

Hanzo
11-20-09, 08:30 AM
Make him a deal. You'll buy him the rolex when he makes Commandant.

kschmidt
11-20-09, 08:38 AM
Great idea! I'll do that! Got a letter yesterday and he is starting to feel the pressure now ( he is finishing week 9) so maybe a few laughs will boost him back up. Seems like the he is more homesick now than he has been all along. I sent him an ATTA BOY letter this morning.

Hanzo
11-20-09, 10:19 AM
I was just looking at their training schedule. Week 9 is gonna be a double edged sword, by my guess is that he's home sick because he's adjusting.

It seems strange, but in the beginning, you're so focused on staying alive and invisible from your Drill Instructors (it doesn't work) that you don't really think about a whole lot outside of your little world. As you start to acclamate, you begin to realize how much you miss home. He's just coming out of team week, so he's had plenty of time to think about things and now he's going to the range, so the physical won't be quite as bad and the stress is going to change from having someone screaming at him to making sure he shoots straight...and then being screamed at.

By the way, in case you don't have it, my family found having a copy of the training matrix very helpful.

MCRD Parris Island
http://http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/matrix/matrix.pdf

kschmidt
11-20-09, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm sure you are right because if I read between the lines in his letters, there seems to have been a switch turned on that wasnt before. "This recruit wants to come home", for example, and "Me and my brothers thank you for the Power bars". He did really well (expert) at the first rifle quals so I think the nerves are because he wants to keep it. The other thing is, he has lost over 40 pounds and he didn't need to, but he wanted to "turn and burn" whatever that means. But I am going to stop worrying (well, try to anyway), keep sending him positive letters, and get ready to enjoy graduation!

usmcdanno
11-20-09, 03:56 PM
Of course he wants to come home. However, he's gonna find that after a day or two there, he has left that world behind. Marines are transpired into a different animal after just 12 weeks. No more mom, dad or Drill Instructor to coddle him. He's on his own now. He has made the transition into being a man. Completely responsible and accountable for his own actions, good or bad. Good Marines realize that, and never look back. And believe me, if he lost 40 lbs in boot camp, he needed to. If you gain 20lbs, you needed to. Not that I've heard of such drastic differences in weight gain or loss in boot camp, but even 20lbs either way is a big difference.

DocGreek
05-01-10, 05:15 PM
:evilgrin:......HEY, NUMBNUTS!!!! I was ISSUED....and STILL OWN, an ALL GREEN USMC watch, with a luminescent dial.....had to PUSH a BUTTON to light it up!!!!.....SO, THERE!!!!.....:p

Rocky C
05-01-10, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the responses! My son is worth the Rolex but this Mom has more of a G-shock budget!

HAHAHAHA!!!
That was GREAT :thumbup::D:flag:

websitesdevel
05-02-10, 12:11 AM
:evilgrin:......HEY, NUMBNUTS!!!! I was ISSUED....and STILL OWN, an ALL GREEN USMC watch, with a luminescent dial.....had to PUSH a BUTTON to light it up!!!!.....SO, THERE!!!!.....:p
Have you deleted my first post? I am not a bot, i just advised website to look for military style watches.

websitesdevel
05-02-10, 05:28 AM
Website url is - http://www.militarystylewatches.com. What is wrong with this?

Osotogary
05-02-10, 06:59 AM
Consider a G-Shock, solar powered Casio, colored black. Bought one for my son and myself. Been good to go since. All the best to your son and his fellow recruits.

kschmidt
05-04-10, 10:30 AM
Yup, That's exactly what I ended up buying him! He wears it night and day, everyday.

FYI, he graduated boot camp December 11th, SOI on March 4th, and he is set to graduate Security Forces School in about two weeks. Headed to 1st FAST/Norfolk next!