PDA

View Full Version : Introduction...and a question

TheTransporter
11-17-09, 12:25 AM
Hello Marines, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kyle Rodgers, I'm a 19 year old student and I'm thinking about joining the Marine Corps. Why do I want to join? Well, there's a number of...

0231Marine
11-17-09, 07:22 AM
Call him back. It shows initiative and a desire to want to enlist. It certainly can't hurt the process.

firedog974
11-17-09, 07:30 AM
I would go ahead and call the recruiter. Recruiters are human and have a ton of people they have to call. Sometimes they forget.

Hotel4341
11-17-09, 07:32 AM
With the economy how it is these days, recruiters are getting more applicants then they have slots. Some of them are resorting to treating this like a job interview, making you come and get them to see how bad you want it. Call him. Better yet, drop in the office, if you have the time. It'll make an impression, trust me.

Phantom Blooper
11-17-09, 10:00 AM
drop in the office

My suggestion also.....when you want answers go directly to the source.

Digital and cyber tag is nothing compared to a one on one confrontation.

It is always good in any proposition to let the other party see you face to face...then when talking on the land line they know whom they are conversing with.

You may also pickup some little motivating trinkets and set up a schedule to train with other poolees.

Quit typing questions and go ask them to him.

:evilgrin:

TheTransporter
11-17-09, 08:04 PM
Ok, went in today, turns out my recruiter intended on calling me, but he wasn't sure what my number was. Then, he dropped the bomb. No more active duty slots for the next few months, they just found out today. He told me that he would list me as a Reservist, but as one who had designs on switching to Active. Whereas, if a slot opened up, he would get me going in that direction. My recruiter even said he would keep a look out in neighboring cities for open slots. Things are changing rather quickly as I was told, some people are getting ship dates sooner, some are getting them postponed, and maybe in my case, a spot in Active Duty could open up. Anyways, as I stand now, I'm taking the ASVAB at 1500 tomorrow, could get a MEPS date for next week also. So all in all, a good day.

MLMonk
11-17-09, 08:50 PM
From what my situation was back when I was in the DEP, don't sign reserves hoping you will be switched to active, because there's a good chance you won't. Just wait the 4 months, and sign up active duty, because there is all ways that possibility that a slot will not open up, and your stuck in the reserve side of the Marines, not like anything is really wrong with it, since I am one, but if active is what you really want, just wait. Still show up to the PT's and stuff, and stop by to show you still want it, but I wouldn't sign a reserve contract if all you want is active duty. Switching from reserves to active after you check in your unit, may take up to a year, if not longer, at this point since we're downsizing.

TheTransporter
11-17-09, 09:52 PM
From what my situation was back when I was in the DEP, don't sign reserves hoping you will be switched to active, because there's a good chance you won't. Just wait the 4 months, and sign up active duty, because there is all ways that possibility that a slot will not open up, and your stuck in the reserve side of the Marines, not like anything is really wrong with it, since I am one, but if active is what you really want, just wait. Still show up to the PT's and stuff, and stop by to show you still want it, but I wouldn't sign a reserve contract if all you want is active duty. Switching from reserves to active after you check in your unit, may take up to a year, if not longer, at this point since we're downsizing.

Well, I've only signed the paper to permit me to take the ASVAB, no contract yet. I don't think my recruiter is going to really push me towards reserves either. We have a really good rapport, and he knows that I really, really want active, so I think he's completely fine with me waiting, no worries there.