PDA

View Full Version : how to graduate guide in bootcamp??

Johnnyboy09
11-15-09, 03:59 PM
I am wondering how to graduate as platoon guide during bootcamp, I understand you have to be on top of your game in everything, but just want some tips on how to achieve the goal??

Baxter W McGrew
11-15-09, 04:38 PM
don't get fired.

chadhertz
11-15-09, 05:15 PM
There are several threads on this exact subject. Use the search man.

ecfree
11-15-09, 06:26 PM
Stay squared away lad,in everything you say and do,give ALL you got plus 100% more.....and maybe you wont get fired...if you get it to beguine with......
GOOD LUCK.........

Smitty Puffs
12-12-09, 12:49 PM
Be a Motard.

usmc722
12-31-09, 11:35 AM
I graduated bootcamp in november and our guide was cool but really it's all about taking it for the team, being ontop of your game in everything and we viewed the position as being an annoying mini...

Johnnyboy09
12-31-09, 12:40 PM
Thanks man! im gonna try and get either guide or squad leader, but thanx for the info!

Old Marine
12-31-09, 06:02 PM
Be a leader and not a follower.

thezero
12-31-09, 07:50 PM
We had several guides, our first one I don't really remember what happened all I know is he snapped through his mouth piece at our Senior and was later taken by several MP's. Our second guide eventually got fired, intentionally and our last one was voluntold to be guide. As guide you have absolutely no time to yourself. Guide and squad leaders actually have no time to them selves especially in first to mid second phase. And if someone gets on the quater deck or pit, you might as well start taking your blouse off and emptying your pockets.

Smitty Puffs
12-31-09, 08:07 PM
Boot camp is scheduled down to the minute. The hiring, firing, and rehiring of guides and squad leaders in boot camp is also apart of the big game that you're in. Being a guide doesnt mean **** in boot camp. Getting caught up in that bull**** isnt going to do anything for you except make you arrogant and cause you more stress then you need to deal with. Just go to boot camp, and get it done. Theres nothing wrong with them never knowing your name while you're there.

Lisa 23
01-01-10, 01:32 AM
Thanks man! im gonna try and get either guide or squad leader, but thanx for the info!
How about saying "thanks Marines", not thanks man.

Convulsive
04-03-10, 11:21 PM
If the drill instructors don't like you you're going to have a hard time. A lot of people might argue this because drill instructors don't like any recruit but they definitely have their favorites, you'll see. Now I'm not telling you to go around brown nosing cause they'll notice (or usually notice) that and you'll get **** for it. however in my platoon this kid got Meritorious PFC even though he didn't cary ANY billets in boot camp and had a pretty ****ty PFT score and rifle score. could it have been because he happened to be from the same state as my SDI? and that he kissed up to him every chance he got? Most likely...

anyway i'm rambling. If you get guide, that's great, go for it and try to get your promotion. If you don't it doesn't make you any less of a Marine or dictate your performance.

AAV Crewchief
04-04-10, 09:17 PM
Eff being the GUIDE. It don't mean _______ in the FMF. I was the darn house mouse at PI. My platoon guide was a frickin' PFC (gave the loser the stripe even though he dropped from the general's run at the end) at graduation (June 82). Saw the same sorry ass as a PFC (still) in Pohang, Korea in March of 83. Do the math. He still had not made Lance Cooley from the time he left boot camp. TIG was 8 months back in the day. I made PFC TIG, LCPL TIG and then CPL meritorious by 20 months in service. His ass was just getting his BB guns. Lots of guys do well at the "dog and pony" show called Parris Island and San Diego, but if you can't operate and do your job in the fleet, you'll get left behind.

Edmiston4
10-20-10, 06:37 AM
Boot camp is scheduled down to the minute. The hiring, firing, and rehiring of guides and squad leaders in boot camp is also apart of the big game that you're in. Being a guide doesnt mean **** in boot camp. Getting caught up in that bull**** isnt going to do anything for you except make you arrogant and cause you more stress then you need to deal with. Just go to boot camp, and get it done. Theres nothing wrong with them never knowing your name while you're there.

you abviously didn't get guide...
Being a guide may not mean anything to you, whether it be you didn't want to try hard enough or just that you weren't favored. But some people look forward to that constant challenge. Being guide doesn't make you arrogant.
I WILL be guide... but not to say look at me... but because i will know I worked my butt off, and that sense of accomplishment will prove to me i deserve the title Marine that i worked so hard at to earn.

~Poolee Edmiston

AjC
02-13-11, 09:31 PM
you abviously didn't get guide...
Being a guide may not mean anything to you, whether it be you didn't want to try hard enough or just that you weren't favored. But some people look forward to that constant challenge. Being guide doesn't make you arrogant.
I WILL be guide... but not to say look at me... but because i will know I worked my butt off, and that sense of accomplishment will prove to me i deserve the title Marine that i worked so hard at to earn.

~Poolee Edmiston

I'm telling you this now so that you remember when you're there. Assuming you're going to PI, your guide and squad leaders will likely be fired after Initial Drill, and the worst people in your platoon will be placed in their spots for a few days at the range. The old guide, as well as most of the squad leaders, will be re-hired a few days later, depending on the mood of your Heavy or SDI. Your SDI has to really like you, a lot, for you to stay Guide. You will have to kiss ass to stay in the position.

Also yes, being Guide or Squad Leader in Boot will make you an arrogant prick. At least for the time you hold the position, if not during MCT as well.

MGySgtSki
02-13-11, 10:09 PM
I'm telling you this now so that you remember when you're there. Assuming you're going to PI, your guide and squad leaders will likely be fired after Initial Drill, and the worst people in your platoon will be placed in their spots for a few days at the range. The old guide, as well as most of the squad leaders, will be re-hired a few days later, depending on the mood of your Heavy or SDI. Your SDI has to really like you, a lot, for you to stay Guide. You will have to kiss ass to stay in the position.

Also yes, being Guide or Squad Leader in Boot will make you an arrogant prick. At least for the time you hold the position, if not during MCT as well.

Things haven't changed much, I see. I was a squad leader all through first phase and got fired not long after initial drill (if I remember right it was because they weren't happy with my yelling techniques at one of the recruits in my squad.....I didn't yell at him loud enough or something). Anyway, I got hired back right before final drill because I knew how to execute column of files and the dude they hired to replace me was a drill rock.

DrZ
02-14-11, 07:15 AM
If you can get and hold guide.... kudos to you. I have spoken with many young Marines and have heard the same thing over and over again. Guides get fired on a whim. It happens. Focus on being the best. Bust your butt every day in all you do and if you get guide...great... if you don't...great. You will end up being a Marine...and isn't that what this is all about?

If it isn't.... not really sure you are cut out to be a Marine.

Go luck in whatever happens.

AAV Crewchief
02-14-11, 09:52 AM
I'd be more worried about just graduating and earning the title. It won't mean a hill of beans once you are in the fleet anyhow. I think my platoon scribe and/or all of our squad leaders were a hell of a lot more squared away than the loser who was our guide when I went to Parris Island. This guy barely qualified swimming, shot a toilet seat at the range, and then dropped from the runs more than once. He got off the island as a PFC. I passed him up and made Cpl meritoriously with 20 month in service (got PFC at 6 months, LCPL at exactly 8 months later, and 6 months after that I was a Corporal by meritorious promotion with just 20 months in the Corps.

Oh, I was a squad leader for all of 5 minutes. Glad I got fired because I was a House Mouse too and that kept me busy enough.

Cardboardbox
03-04-11, 09:02 AM

They did that to my platoon at the range too.. Okay good, it wasn't just my platoon. I hated that crap so much.

Jacob824
04-17-11, 07:53 PM
I maybe should start a new thread but my question is how do you fly under the radar? What is the best way to get through PI with out being on either end of someone's list?

AjC
04-17-11, 07:58 PM
As a Recruit, you'll automatically be on their **** list, even if your SDI likes you. Don't think for a second that you'll fly under the radar - they catch everyone. And if you by some miracle make it to the end without your DI's knowing who you are... why bother? Why would you ever want to be such a substandard and mediocre thing? Why would you even try to join the Marine Corps?

Jacob824
04-19-11, 07:24 AM
As a Recruit, you'll automatically be on their **** list, even if your SDI likes you. Don't think for a second that you'll fly under the radar - they catch everyone. And if you by some miracle make it to the end without your DI's knowing who you are... why bother? Why would you ever want to be such a substandard and mediocre thing? Why would you even try to join the Marine Corps?

I completely understand your point. I have no desire to be mediocre. I am memorizing my materials and working toward a 300 pft (right now about 260). The responses here about guides is a bit of a pain. I want to earn the title. Boot Camp sounds hard enough without trying to add to it. Thank you for the reply.

AAV Crewchief
04-19-11, 10:55 AM
I completely understand your point. I have no desire to be mediocre. I am memorizing my materials and working toward a 300 pft (right now about 260). The responses here about guides is a bit of a pain. I want to earn the title. Boot Camp sounds hard enough without trying to add to it. Thank you for the reply.

HA...."memorizing the materials"....don't come off like a smart ass either. I knew a lot of what was required (Essential Subjects) in bootcamp and when the Drill Instructors had classes and I gave too many right answers, I got to do pushups while everyone else did classes.

AAV Crewchief
04-19-11, 10:57 AM
I maybe should start a new thread but my question is how do you fly under the radar? What is the best way to get through PI with out being on either end of someone's list?

We had four Drill Instructors. I had one main guy who tried to wear me out every chance he got. He always told me that they only way I was leaving "his island" was in a body bag. I believed him for quite awhile. LOL

Jacob824
04-19-11, 08:05 PM
Thank you sir. That is what I am talking about. Be smart but not too smart, got it. I won't be the sharpest tool in the shed but not the dullest either. I am who I am and I will have a hard time with some things and a better time with others. I do well with keeping my mouth shut. Trouble is I am 6'3" and usually stick out in a line up. As you have in your profile, It is what it is...