PDA

View Full Version : Starting out as a reserve officer

ACMAR
11-13-09, 04:40 PM
I will try to be brief. I am trying to get into OCS this January. My PFT score was a 263, which my recreuiter said was not high enough to be considered competative. I am going to train as hard as humanly possible this week to bring it up to a 280, but I only have until next Friday to do it.

Another option that he said I should consider is entering as a reserve officer. I have my doubts, because I am not looking for a simotanious military and civilian career. I also want to be stationed further than 200 miles from my home. And the longer commitment also has me pondering if I could end up committing myself for more than 3 tours of combat duty.

Does anybody here have any suggestions. I don't know if I should submit my application with a higher PFT score next week and likely have to try again in May, or if I should just go and get my foor in the door. Any advice would be appreciated.

josephd
11-13-09, 08:02 PM
First thing, if you are wanting to become an officer don't bother with talking to a recruiter. Go speak with an OSO (officer selection officer) in your area.

263 PFT is first class, while I would suggest getting it higher in order to be competative you should be ok with that.

As far as I am aware you cannot select to be an officer at a reserve unit, that is something that will come after you have done an active duty stint.

GSEMarine94
11-15-09, 09:08 AM
I agree go see an OSO. But there is an option that will allow you to be a reserve officer without completing an active duty tour. Either way you choose officers make a lifetime commitment, basically if you do a 6 year tour then get out you can be recalled anytime afterwards (unless you resign your commission). So if you are worried about doing multiple combat tours you may want to rethink becoming an officer.