PDA

View Full Version : Want to join but need some info

vince52
11-12-09, 10:19 PM
sorry if something like this is already posted but i looked all over and i cant find any advice.

After lots of research and deliberation i have decided that i want to join the marines and i am interested in a position in infantry.

Today i went to a local recruiter to get some info and he told me that there are no infantry positions open at this time.WTF!! He said that they were reserved for high school seniors or something.

So he said to join the reserves and i could just eventually switch over to active duty.

But after some reasearch online this sounds like it is easier said than done.

Does anyone know how hard this is to do and what it entails???

I want to be a marine, not in the reserves. Is that a legitimate way to get in or am i going to spend 4 years with my fingers crossed hoping for my shot one day?

and if i did go that route would i be eligible for the GI bill

Any info would be a great help thanks alot!!

josephd
11-12-09, 10:49 PM
first and foremost Marines is ALWAYS capitalized, second you need to fill out a profile before we answer anything

vince52
11-12-09, 10:52 PM
oh sorry bout that MARINES!!

rg2o3
11-13-09, 07:39 AM
I dont know much, but I do know that it seems pretty tough to switch from Reserve to Active, and I am pretty sure you have to wait at least 2 years or something. Best bet is to wait for the MOS you want and join active. I had a few reservists in my platoon that tried to switch to active and were shot down and told they had to wait. And I believe it is a long process as well. Don't quote me on this.

Meserole08orah
11-16-09, 03:14 PM
Well first off... that PFC needs to just stop being do damn rude and get off his power trip.

okay go talk to you rectuiter NOW because the new MOS for the FY is out now. So that means if there is any infantry you will be able to find out. Going from Reserve to Active is very hard. Some Marines are SSgt's now and are STILL trying. so either new a new rectuiter, wait or just go reserve and you can work at your unit everyday just like an Active duty Marine. Semper Fi and best of luck

vince52
11-17-09, 09:00 PM
yeah the recruiter came to my house today n was trying to get me to join reserves n that's not what i want. does anyone know how often they get updates on mos availibility and how often infantry opens up?

Thanks for the responses

MLMonk
11-17-09, 09:12 PM
Just wait for an active contract, there's no guarantee that you can switch to active.

Each October, a new FY (fiscal year) starts, and the Marines set out the numbers for how many slots for each MOS is available.