PDA

View Full Version : Marine Security Forces Question

Tonyr5
11-11-09, 11:01 PM
Hello Marines! First of all happy Veterans Day and thank all of you =). As for my question i am thinking of joining the Marines as a Security Forces member and i found a decent amount of info on them and it seems like the job i want to do but i want to know if there is anyway of doing 4 years of Security forces or however many without going to the fleet? I don't have a problem with going to the fleet id be glad to, but i feel the Security Forces aspect of it is more appealing to me and thats what i want to do. I do plan on reenlisting and will try Embassy duty i just wanted to know i also am considering joining FAST CO. if i am able to. Any help will be great thanks in advance and again Happy Veterans Day!:)

thewookie
11-12-09, 06:33 AM
You'll spend as much time there as the Corps wants you to. You don't have much "bargaining" power as a new guy, or a boot. You'll do the standard tour, and then pack your trash and go earn a living in the fleet. :p Unless you get lucky, anything can happen. :confused: But 99.99% of the new Marines that go to security forces do the basic tour and then go away, but again, nothing is set in stone,,, but I wouldn't expect much from the norm.

Hello Marines! First of all happy Veterans Day and thank all of you =). As for my question i am thinking of joining the Marines as a Security Forces member and i found a decent amount of info on them and it seems like the job i want to do but i want to know if there is anyway of doing 4 years of Security forces or however many without going to the fleet? I don't have a problem with going to the fleet id be glad to, but i feel the Security Forces aspect of it is more appealing to me and thats what i want to do. I do plan on reenlisting and will try Embassy duty i just wanted to know i also am considering joining FAST CO. if i am able to. Any help will be great thanks in advance and again Happy Veterans Day!:)

Tonyr5
11-12-09, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the reply and i guess we will just have to see what happens :D

sec9
11-12-09, 09:27 PM
very true about nothing being set in stone. Also from what I understand you would sign an 0300 contract with a security forces option, so you would be infantry and go to an infantry unit eventually.

MLMonk
11-12-09, 10:49 PM
SF contracts do their 2 years as SF, then finish their remaining 3 years as an 0311, even if you get selected for FAST Co (they choose you, you can't request it), you still do 2 years of that and then go back to the Infantry. I would have to ask my friend if you can extend your SF/FAST time, I wouldn't see why you couldn't, but I want to make sure.

MLMonk
11-12-09, 11:56 PM
I just asked my friend, and he said you can extend your time as FAST/SF if they wanted you to, but it's usually only 1 more year.