PDA

View Full Version : GED question

jc091393
11-11-09, 04:58 PM
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding GEDs.Sorry if this question has been asked before but I tried the search function and nothing came up.I'm currently 16 and a sophomore but I'm not a good student ( C's and D's) I'm thinking of getting the GED but I want to know what the policy for people with a GED is.

I've heard that you can get your GED and 15 college credits and it'll count as having a diploma in regards to enlisting in the Corps.Is this true? I'd really like to go this route if it is possible so that when I turn 17 next september I can enlist and fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a Marine.Thanks in advance for the replies Marines!

MLMonk
11-11-09, 05:07 PM
Just get your HS diploma, my grades sucked in HS too (4 F's in freshman year, failed English 3 years in a row) and I still became a Marine, I just had to actually try my senior year and get my GPA up. You may think you want to enlist now, and become a Marine, but think of your life afterwards. I regret my grades in HS, since I am now trying to get into Embry Riddle Aeronautical University at Daytona Beach. I used to be like you, not care about my grades and just wanted to be a Marine after HS, but you have to look at your life after the Corps, and what your going to do after that, even if it's 20-30years of service.

Hamelink83
11-11-09, 05:19 PM
Finish your high school diploma. Doesn't matter if your grads suck, work hard and get them up and graduate. If you do decide to drop out (yes, you'll be a high school drop out) then when you go to sign up, your going to need both 15 college credits and a HIGH asvab score. By the time you get 15 credits and your GED, you'll be a couple months (if not the same time frame) shy of getting your High School diploma and 15 college credits cash flow shorter. The Corps does not need as many recruits anymore and have become way more selective.

commdog7
11-11-09, 05:28 PM
Your best bet is to work hard and get your diploma.

Zulu 36
11-11-09, 05:28 PM
Get your HS diploma. The Corps only accepts a very small percentage of people with a GED. Plus I don't think the Corps ships anyone under 18 to boot camp now (could be wrong).

Future employers prefer seeing a HS diploma as well. It shows that you accomplished something. This is important if you can't get into the service for some reason. Also, if you don't pickup much college in the Corps, employers will still be looking for that HS diploma. So will colleges as MLMonk said.

High school bored me to death, but I hung in there and escaped with a "C" average (these days I probably would an A/B student). The Marine Corps gave me a different attitude towards the importance of education and I was most unhappy with myself if I didn't get an A in college classes.

The Marine Corps: It's not just a job, it's an ATTITUDE! If you want in, stick your nose in those books and get tutoring help. If you want in so bad, then want to pick your grades up and get your diploma too.

Fubar5812
11-11-09, 06:39 PM
I was a GED graduate and enlisted after I got my 15 college credits. The Marines Corps only takes about 5% of GED graduates. Now that the Marine Corps has met it's manpower requirements they are alot more picky about who they take nowadays.

BR34
11-11-09, 07:02 PM
I was a GED graduate and enlisted after I got my 15 college credits. The Marines Corps only takes about 5% of GED graduates. Now that the Marine Corps has met it's manpower requirements they are alot more picky about who they take nowadays.

I was also GED+15 credits.

What's crazy is that I remember when you were wanting to enlist and you asked this same question and I told you what needed to be done. Fast foward to now and look where you are. That should show a lot of people out there what hard work and determination can accomplish.

jc091393
11-12-09, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the replies Marines! I think I will go the GED route.I can't wait! Hopefully by this time next year I'll be DEP'd in. The only other thing I have to get sorted out is my supposed asthma issue but I talked to the recruiter about it and he said not to worry about it. :)

GSEMarine94
11-12-09, 07:55 PM
A GED will haunt you forever, I know I have one, along with two degrees (starting a third in a year or two). I still get asked about why I don't have a HS diploma when I interview for a job. IMO you need to stick ito ut and get your high school diploma.

commdog7
11-12-09, 08:05 PM
Due to our high standards, you have to have at least 15 college credits if you go the GED route. Only 5% of Marines are allowed in with a GED, it is tough to get that waiver. You will still DEP in at the same time if you get your diploma. Trust me, go for the diploma, you will not regret it. If you don't have the determination to focus on your education, then you don't have the determination to be a Marine.

PS This was not a cheap shot at any GED Marines. That 15 college credits shows determination as well, but it would be wise for this wannabe to get his diploma.

tgwkreu7
11-12-09, 08:06 PM
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding GEDs.Sorry if this question has been asked before but I tried the search function and nothing came up.I'm currently 16 and a sophomore but I'm not a good student ( C's and D's) I'm thinking of getting the GED but I want to know what the policy for people with a GED is.

I've heard that you can get your GED and 15 college credits and it'll count as having a diploma in regards to enlisting in the Corps.Is this true? I'd really like to go this route if it is possible so that when I turn 17 next september I can enlist and fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a Marine.Thanks in advance for the replies Marines!

you miss understand about the GED before the GED is presented to the public it is administered to high school seniors through out the USA and it was found out that these seniors did not do to well in passing the GED up to 50% failed
when you get your GED it is like having a high school diploma and can be presented to where ever you apply for work and will be accepted as such
who ever told you about have a GED and 15 college credits are feeding you a line of bull**** i am a retired school teacher and was one for 30 years and when i was working on my master i had to write a thesis on the GED i had to do alot of research before it was handed in so don't let anyone tells you a GED isn't the paper it is written it is just as good as a diploma
go for it it will help you alot alot of dropouts should go for their GED it will pay in the end
take care
joe kreuz

commdog7
11-12-09, 08:18 PM
tgwkreu7: The GED is not equal to a diploma. The Corps accepts 95% diploma Marines, and only 5% GED Marines. This is a set standard, the Corps will not accept more than 5% of GED Marines within it's ranks. In order for a GED Marine to get in, they have to have 15 college credits due to the high standards. I agree that drop-outs should try for their GED, but that doesn't mean that everyone should try for their GED rather than their diploma.

My mother has a GED, she told me that that was one of her biggest regrets in life- not graduating high school and earning a diploma. Someone should never be encouraged to get a GED when they can get a diploma.

jc091393
11-12-09, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the replies! So if a GED isn't the way to go what about adult ed classes? I'm currently taking it to make up for a class that I failed last year.I've heard that you can get a diploma through the Adult ed program.Is this true? How long does it usually take? Or what about those online highschool programs?

MLMonk
11-12-09, 10:44 PM
Your still in highschool, right? Why not just finish what you have left, and get your diploma. HS isn't that hard, and college courses are much harder then actual HS. You will enjoy your life later on realizing that you stayed in highschool, and got your diploma. You may think you are taking the easy way out, or the shorter, but in actuality, it's not, your taking the longer and much harder way to what you currently have. By the time you get your GED, 15 college credits, all of your classmates would already have their diploma and on their way in life, while your still stuck in the community college, getting those 15 credit hours. I can understand what your going through IF YOU DROPPED OUT ALREADY, but you haven't, you still have 2 years left in school, so why not just suck it up, and finish what you started.

NoRemorse
11-13-09, 04:25 AM
If you're currently taking an Adult Ed class that will count towards your accredited high school diploma then you should ask whatever administrator or counselor you used to sign up for the class.

You'll also have to check what the requirements for the GED are. In New York you had to be at least 19 and out of school for a year.

If you have to sign up for summer classes this coming year and get caught up.

commdog7
11-13-09, 07:25 AM
Adult education classes are not intended for teenagers still in high school. If you want to be a Marine, best bet is to stay in high school and get your diploma. You want to give up on high school and take the easy way out- you have the wrong mentality. Marines don't quit and we don't look for the easy road in life. If you don't have the determination to finish 2 more years of high school, then you have no place in the Marines.

rg2o3
11-13-09, 07:31 AM
Stay in high school and get your diploma, I am home on leave and I have been helping the recruiters, and they basically are not even talking to people that have a GED. Finish high school, its worth it.

jc091393
11-14-09, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies Marines! I'm now looking at maybe graduating early so that way I can get my diploma and not have to wait as long.I talked to the counselor at my school and she said that it's possible by taking classes next summer and an extra class or two next year! I'll talk to her later in the school year to get my classes sorted out! What do you think?

Zulu 36
11-14-09, 04:45 PM
Stay in high school and get your diploma, I am home on leave and I have been helping the recruiters, and they basically are not even talking to people that have a GED. Finish high school, its worth it.

Have you discussed your plans with a recruiter yet?

commdog7
11-14-09, 10:41 PM
As long as you are planning to get your diploma, you have my thumbs up. :thumbup:

MLMonk
11-15-09, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the replies Marines! I'm now looking at maybe graduating early so that way I can get my diploma and not have to wait as long.I talked to the counselor at my school and she said that it's possible by taking classes next summer and an extra class or two next year! I'll talk to her later in the school year to get my classes sorted out! What do you think?

I think it's a good idea, get your diploma, not your GED. Finding a short cut via that will show you are motivated to get your diploma ASAP, and hope for you to join the USMC as quickly as you can. Just don't quit and go get your diploma.

GSEMarine94
11-15-09, 08:42 AM

I think that this is the best course of action. You will prove that you have the dedication to complete a task no matter how difficult. Complete this task and you will be one step closer to becoming a US Marine.

Fubar5812
11-17-09, 04:08 PM
the whole point in getting the 15 credits is to prove you want this bad enough and that your not quitter if your a GED graduate. Of course when I joined they where still hurting for people and hadn't met there manpower requirements so there probably going to pick a HS graduate over GED since theirs less paperwork involved and they don't need to wait for you to get your college credits.