PDA

View Full Version : Marine Security Forces

Sgt A
11-10-09, 07:55 PM
Oorah.
I have a question for you Marines that have done Security Forces before. I've been doing research into it and haven't quite got all the answers i'm looking for. As a Sgt non 03XX how would the initial training be and what would it consist of. I'm not sure how the duty stations work yet for it, but will i get automatically get thrown somewhere where i'm just standing post or to a fast platoon.

egbutler1
11-10-09, 08:07 PM
Oorah.
I have a question for you Marines that have done Security Forces before. I've been doing research into it and haven't quite got all the answers i'm looking for. As a Sgt non 03XX how would the initial training be and what would it consist of. I'm not sure how the duty stations work yet for it, but will i get automatically get thrown somewhere where i'm just standing post or to a fast platoon.

Just PM me and i can help you.

rcso2238
11-10-09, 08:13 PM
Shoot me a PM and I'll see what questions I can answer for you since I did my first tour with Security Forces.

thewookie
11-11-09, 06:01 AM
Oorah.

You are going to be treated like the rest of them. You will be a student learning the ropes just like the 03's. I taught at the basic course and finished of teaching CQB at the training center where you are going. It's a good time, not the best for NCO's as you'll be doing some baby sitting. But the school is fairly easy, for NCO's any way -- it shouldn't be a problem. The duty stations from my knowledge depend on who needs a Sgt. (in your case) and if you want that spot. Or at least it was for me,, they offered me several places, Spain, Italy, and Greece -- I took Greece. Life was tough :p

As a non-03 you're not going to FAST (as an operator) unless you lat move or they OJT you, I saw that done once with a friend of mine, Cpl. Miles. You should be able to talk to your career planner before you go to school to nail down your duty station,,,, before you get to Chesapeake.

Good luck.

Anything else more specific that doesn't get answered let me know.

Sgt A
11-11-09, 10:02 AM
I've been reading about the school and from the way it sounds, it sounds like it's not very physical at all. Is it just mostly knowledge training and hands on training with weapons or what? Not saying the hands on training with weapons doesn't sound good but i'm also a very physical Marine.

Thanks thewookie. so from the way it sounds i'll most likely go somewhere as a SOG somewhere?

thewookie
11-11-09, 12:11 PM
I've been reading about the school and from the way it sounds, it sounds like it's not very physical at all. Is it just mostly knowledge training and hands on training with weapons or what? Not saying the hands on training with weapons doesn't sound good but i'm also a very physical Marine.

Thanks thewookie. so from the way it sounds i'll most likely go somewhere as a SOG somewhere?

Ya, PT for the basic school isn't quite at fleet levels, if you ask me, or at the time it was not. A lot depends of who is running it. Lots of hands o with weapons though. Come back for CQB school and you'll be running with gear and weapons everywhere you go. Have fun.

BR34
11-11-09, 12:55 PM
I didn't know non 03 Marines could do Security Forces. How does that work? Do you just do the 18 months then go back to your original MOS?

rcso2238
11-11-09, 08:37 PM
Yeah going back for CQB school was completely different than going for the basic security forces school. Running everywhere was not an understatement. I enjoyed it to the max though. Spent A LOT of time on those ranges being in FAST CO.

thewookie
11-11-09, 09:57 PM
I didn't know non 03 Marines could do Security Forces. How does that work? Do you just do the 18 months then go back to your original MOS?

Pretty much. Non 03's have to be NCO's - well , maybe they don't have to, but I doubt any career Lance Corporals are going to get to reenlist these days. No offense to any of those fine Marines. Non 03's go to the same security forces school as the 03's, and then they go to post as an 8152/MCSF guard, that being their secondary MOS. And then once the tour is up, depending on how long it is, you go back to fleet in your primary, or you do whatever you want.

BR34
11-12-09, 06:11 AM
How long is the tour for a non 03?

thewookie
11-12-09, 06:26 AM
How long is the tour for a non 03?

It varies from post to post. I picked Greece for my tour and I went there for a year and then I was technically done, there was no requirement for me to stay in the Battalion. But becuase I had prior PMI experience, and I asked what else I could do in the Battalion, (I didn't want to go back to the fleet only after one year) so I got hooked up and stayed with the Battalion for another 4 years after I left Greece -- Spending two years at Dam Neck teaching DM/PMI school, and then my last two years I was hanging out at the training center doing that thing.

Each post or duty station has different tour lengths. They could be the same now, however, I think it varies for each spot. But to my knowledge, for NCO's, once you are done you can head back to the fleet or if your monitor will let you you could pick another spot. You should talk to your monitor and see what's out there for an NCO like you. You might be surprised, and the duty is cake with lots of schools to goto for a locked on NCO. You'll be the COG/SOG, easy as pie.

BR34
11-12-09, 06:34 AM
COG/SOG= Commander of the Guard, and Sgt of the Guard? If so, what do those duties entail. Are any of the OCONUS tours accompanied?

BR34
11-12-09, 07:01 AM
*I meant "COG=Cpl of the Guard".

thewookie
11-12-09, 08:49 AM
COG/SOG= Commander of the Guard, and Sgt of the Guard? If so, what do those duties entail. Are any of the OCONUS tours accompanied?

COG & SOG is what you said - Sgt. or Cpl. of the Guard. Duties vary by post, but pretty much you're overseeing a guard platoon. When they are on, you are on, when they are off -- you are off. You make sure the Marines standing post are doing what they are supposed to, get them fed, basic NCO stuff. You won't stand and actual post, you will oversee them. As far as being accompanied for OCONUS, you'd have to check with the monitor. The security force monitor, or special assignment monitor in my day, has all those details. I think Japan was accompanied, maybe all of them. Greece wasn't because it was only a year. But most of the NCO's who lived out in town brought over their loved ones on their dime.

sargepec
11-14-09, 05:13 PM
as a former marine and now father of a marine am looking for any and all info on sons school.just reported to his next school,somewhere in norfolk/chesapeake bay area.where exactly is school and how long is it.start date 12/01?:marine: :marine:

thewookie
11-15-09, 08:32 AM
as a former marine and now father of a marine am looking for any and all info on sons school.just reported to his next school,somewhere in norfolk/chesapeake bay area.where exactly is school and how long is it.start date 12/01?:marine: :marine:

The basic school is 6 weeks long and it's in Chesapeake, VA., off Battlefield Blvd (168S) on Ballahack road. You can PM me for more specifics. Semper Fi.

stretchusa
11-16-09, 10:10 AM
There are now only two OCONUS duty stations; Bahrain, and Rota. They shut down all other european companies and combined them all in Rota. The last one to go was MCSFCo Keflavik, we changed to 3rd FAST in April 2003 thus ending a Marine Corps presence in Keflavik that had started on July7th 1941.

stretchusa
11-16-09, 10:11 AM
Rota is accompanied not sure about Bahrain

Sgt A
11-16-09, 10:55 AM
Are there any restrictions as far as Lasik. just got it done and i don't want that to hold me back. One of the posts earlier stated that they saw a lot of countries in his year there and saw action. I heard that most places were basically glorified firewatches. I'm fine deploying and all but i just got done with my 4th deployment and looking for a little break. Do they all really deploy that much. Don't get me wrong, i'm definetely not trying to skate out of more deployments. I'm sure many of you know where i'm coming from.

Sgt A
11-16-09, 10:59 AM
What stations have the hightest deployment rate?

stretchusa
11-16-09, 11:30 AM
LASIK is fine, as far as deploying goes it all depends. If you get stuck in a PRP command then it is firewatch. I would say that the FAST companies deploy the most, not sure about Rota or Baharain.

sargepec
11-17-09, 09:46 PM
thanks for the reply,i'm not real computer savy would like to find out more my email is cpl_usmc@grics.net.semper-fi mac

egbutler1
11-17-09, 09:55 PM
What stations have the hightest deployment rate?

I was in FAST for my first 2 years, ever fast plt does one deployment to either rota spain, bahrain and i think there is a couple of other ones, i got Spain than from there you might deploy to a theater of operations or anything your just the stand by for that region. Than when your state side you rotate out with other platoons on alpha 1 which is were all your ****s packed and you got a beeper and you can go anywhere in 24 hours. Like Liberia in 04 and Haiti to name a few. PRP is firewatch and that is horrible.

deuce04
05-12-15, 04:01 PM
Just graduated itb on the way to VA don't have much insight on security forces school can anyone fill me in??

joseywales
05-12-15, 04:52 PM
you aint the first to add your own question onto a six year old thread. stead of starting a new one