PDA

View Full Version : Dukw

DUKW
11-10-09, 10:52 AM
Am I the only DUKW driver left? Let me hear from you if you double clutched one of these mothers.

Gary Hall
11-10-09, 12:11 PM
Am I the only DUKW driver left? Let me hear from you if you double clutched one of these mothers.

:usmc: DUKW, I was not a DUKW driver but I did get a short ride (about 30 mins) in one of the vehicles. I was working for W-3-1, 1st Mar Div, about the first week of September, 1950, as we crossed the Han River, on the way to Seoul, just after we had landed at Inchon on 15 Sept. I was a pack mule (Ammo Carrier) for the Assault Platoon of Weapons Co, commanded by then Major Edwin Howard Simmons. It was a beautiful Fall day as I recall, things were going well and we had a lot of help, the Corsairs were everywhere just looking for something to kill, the Navy was putting a lot of serious shelling all around us and that was something to behold. The 1st Marines were commanded by one Col. L. B. Puller, the 5th Marines on our left crossing the Han at the same time, were commanded by LtCol. Raymond Murray.

We were to take Seoul in time for Gen. McArthur's plan to make an acceptance speech in Seoul and declare it was all over, and we would all be home for Thanksgiving, 1950, (the Gen'l said). That was the plan. Gary Hall :usmc: