PDA

View Full Version : running in Boot camp

hogwild22
11-09-09, 10:36 PM
I made a post recently about my knee, it's fine after two weeks rest. I did the 1.5 with the poolee platoon and got 12:48 after not running for two weeks. I ship out Feb. 8th 2010.

I want to OVER prepare, not just enough or just right, but over prepare. How much running do Marine recruits do in Boot camp? I need to work my knee strength at a steady pace, and some sort of idea of the running schedule will help me plan my progression for the next three months.

I basically need to know if it's every other day, every day (not just sprints, but actually miles of running), and if it's every day, about how much i should build up to. My knee began to hurt after the 1.5 mile, but only for a day. I can fix that by Boot camp.

firedog974
11-09-09, 10:43 PM
I made a post recently about my knee, it's fine after two weeks rest. I did the 1.5 with the poolee platoon and got 12:48 after not running for two weeks. I ship out Feb. 8th 2010.

I want to OVER prepare, not just enough or just right, but over prepare. How much running do Marine recruits do in Boot camp? I need to work my knee strength at a steady pace, and some sort of idea of the running schedule will help me plan my progression for the next three months.

I basically need to know if it's every other day, every day (not just sprints, but actually miles of running), and if it's every day, about how much i should build up to. My knee began to hurt after the 1.5 mile, but only for a day. I can fix that by Boot camp.

I have been out for a while, but we ran a lot. The running is not the issue with knees though. The o-course, martial arts, and the daily grind with drill and marching everywhere will really put a strain on your entire body, especially the knees. If you know now you have an issue, see someone about it (a physical therapist for example). Do strengthening exercises, and find out what hurts, and when. If you have an underlying issue, get it fixed before you go. Otherwise, it WILL get aggravated in boot, and you will be sent to MRP (or whatever it is called now) and sit on the island, away from your platoon, healing. Take care of yourself before you go. Don't expect that if something hurts now, it will get better at boot, because that will not happen.

rg2o3
11-10-09, 12:34 PM
The running is the least of your worries for your knee at boot. As Sgt said. The humps, martial arts, O course, Confidence Course, the constant walking all day, not being able to sit down. That is what is going to kill you.

NoRemorse
11-10-09, 12:52 PM
Yeah, you're going to enjoy the simple things in life... like sitting or laying down.

You won't be running for distance often except for the IST, PFT and Moto run at the end.

You will however be sprinting, running, jogging, marching, humping and stepping it out everywhere.

If you're worried about progression and when to taper off; well that protocol is up to you. I'd suggest you start walking with a light pack, starting at about 10 pounds and going up to about 20 or so.